10.2 for Dummies

garyfritz

Re: 10.2 for Dummies

Post by garyfritz »

OK, I have some "dummy" questions...

I read the booklets, and I applied the template to a chart. I picked a Group 1 pair (EURGPY) so I used the S/R1 template.

Comment: the live charts look quite a bit different from many of the charts in the books. That makes it tough to apply what you read in the book until you figure out how/why the chart is different.

I was confused that the template displayed TmaSlope_Norm, and Verb's codex said 1.4b. Then I saw 10.2 TMA slope v.1.4B 4.30.mq4 has an IndicatorShortName() of "10.2 TmaSlope_Norm". But TmaSlope_Norm sure looks like a major repainter/future-peeker to me. Are its values valid on historical bars, i.e. is it safe to visually backtest? Aren't we supposed to be using TMA TRUE?

I see the blue/orange and green/yellow histograms. But in the booklet, the blue/orange (and maybe the green/yellow?) is supposed to reset every week and show the movement in relation to the weekly open. Mine doesn't. Am I doing something wrong?
NBhistos.gif
Sometimes the book uses the blue/orange histogram, sometimes the green/yellow. When do you use which one?

Verb's codex mentions "Basic Trades" and "A Trades." Where did those come from? I don't see anything about them in the booklets.

OK, that's the first read through, I'll try it again in a day or two...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
verb
Trader

Post by verb »

garyfritz wrote:OK, I have some "dummy" questions...

I read the booklets, and I applied the template to a chart. I picked a Group 1 pair (EURGPY) so I used the S/R1 template.

Comment: the live charts look quite a bit different from many of the charts in the books. That makes it tough to apply what you read in the book until you figure out how/why the chart is different.

I was confused that the template displayed TmaSlope_Norm, and Verb's codex said 1.4b. Then I saw 10.2 TMA slope v.1.4B 4.30.mq4 has an IndicatorShortName() of "10.2 TmaSlope_Norm". But TmaSlope_Norm sure looks like a major repainter/future-peeker to me. Are its values valid on historical bars, i.e. is it safe to visually backtest? Aren't we supposed to be using TMA TRUE?

I see the blue/orange and green/yellow histograms. But in the booklet, the blue/orange (and maybe the green/yellow?) is supposed to reset every week and show the movement in relation to the weekly open. Mine doesn't. Am I doing something wrong?
NBhistos.gif
Sometimes the book uses the blue/orange histogram, sometimes the green/yellow. When do you use which one?

Verb's codex mentions "Basic Trades" and "A Trades." Where did those come from? I don't see anything about them in the booklets.

OK, that's the first read through, I'll try it again in a day or two...
Hi Gary.
- The 10.2 TMA Slope v1.4B 4.30.mq4 is the same indicator that is packed up on post 1 of NB's thread.

- There are 2 Weekly Open Histograms. On the daily and above, visualization shows only the 2x1. H4 and below shows the 1x0 and the 2x1. Same goes for TMA True, shows only on H1 and below.

- Weekly Open Histograms help with timing. When the 2x1 is showing bearish and the 1x0 is showing bullish, then you are seeing a retracement and a possible entry back into the D1 trend.

- Basic Trades and A Trades are my extrapolation of the trade types in the booklets. Not saying they are exact but are my interpretation (of course I have a bias that influenced some of it). It's in the 10.2 EA thread, members have had a chance to modify.
SWG123
Trader

Post by SWG123 »

garyfritz wrote: I see the blue/orange and green/yellow histograms. But in the booklet, the blue/orange (and maybe the green/yellow?) is supposed to reset every week and show the movement in relation to the weekly open. Mine doesn't. Am I doing something wrong?
Gary I have the same issue with the histograms and others have reported it too. They're fine with my VantageFX account but totally messed up with Bully Pepperstone. Vantage is GMT(0), Bully Pepperstone GMT(+3) so I guess it's something to do with server time.
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Post by SteveHopwood »

One point that people often miss is that Bob evolved his systems using Cowboy IBFX. It seems there can be problems when using different crims on different timefames.

Your best bet for seeing exactly what Bob sees is to download an Cowboy IBFX demo. If you come to trading 10.2 live, you can always run everything on the demo and use TradeCopier to then send duplicate trades to your live account.

:D
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
alex_forex
Trader

Post by alex_forex »

What a great idea to solve my cents-account-issue ! :D

Thanks Steve ;)
SteveHopwood wrote:One point that people often miss is that Bob evolved his systems using Cowboy IBFX. It seems there can be problems when using different crims on different timefames.

Your best bet for seeing exactly what Bob sees is to download an Cowboy IBFX demo. If you come to trading 10.2 live, you can always run everything on the demo and use TradeCopier to then send duplicate trades to your live account.
garyfritz

Post by garyfritz »

SteveHopwood wrote:One point that people often miss is that Bob evolved his systems using Cowboy IBFX. It seems there can be problems when using different crims on different timefames.
Your best bet for seeing exactly what Bob sees is to download an Cowboy IBFX demo.
Or we could just fix it. :D

The problem is that the code looks for Sunday bars to detect "start of week." That doesn't work too well with a GMT+2/3 crim that starts its week at 00:00 Monday. In start(), replace this code:

Code: Select all

if(TimeDayOfWeek(iTime(NULL,0,i))==0)
          {
            if(Trigger==true)
              {
                Trigger=false;  // Trigger fired
                j++;
              }
          }
        if(TimeDayOfWeek(iTime(NULL,0,i))!= 0) Trigger=true;  // Trigger reset 
with this:

if (i > 0 
          && TimeDayOfWeek(iTime(NULL,0,i-1)) < TimeDayOfWeek(iTime(NULL,0,i)))
            j++;
...and it detects the start of week whether you have Sunday bars or not, Monday bars or not, whatever. You can also delete the declaration and initialization of trigger.

This error is in both of the WeeklyOpeningHistogram indicators. It might be in other things too but I haven't looked.

Now, if someone could explain to me why recompiling those indicators (before changing ANYthing) makes the histograms have a thickness of 1, and it ignores the Width parameter in the SetIndexStyle() calls, I'd appreciate it... I set it back to a width of 4 in the indicator Properties but I expected the SetIndexStyle() width to work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cuzgeorge
Trader

Post by cuzgeorge »

garyfritz wrote:Or we could just fix it. :D
Thank you Gary, from all +2 and up, many many thank you's.
cuz
10.X, BMac,Xmeter,Marylin,and CaptsNakedTrading thread coupled with Slowkeys Intraday setup for manual trades.
http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... f=36&t=848
NeoTrader
Trader

Post by NeoTrader »

@Gary
First thnx for the fix... ;)
garyfritz wrote:Now, if someone could explain to me why recompiling those indicators (before changing ANYthing) makes the histograms have a thickness of 1, and it ignores the Width parameter in the SetIndexStyle() calls, I'd appreciate it... I set it back to a width of 4 in the indicator Properties but I expected the SetIndexStyle() width to work.
This is something i also experience sometimes with other indis. Most times if you change the TF for and back it shows correct again.

Maybe a Feature (It's not a Bug.. ;) ) of Empty4 just to amaze us once more .. ;)
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Post by SteveHopwood »

garyfritz wrote:
Your best bet for seeing exactly what Bob sees is to download an Cowboy IBFX demo.
Or we could just fix it. :D

The problem is that the code looks for Sunday bars to detect "start of week." That doesn't work too well with a GMT+2/3 crim that starts its week at 00:00 Monday. In start(), replace this code:

if(TimeDayOfWeek(iTime(NULL,0,i))==0)
          {
            if(Trigger==true)
              {
                Trigger=false;  // Trigger fired
                j++;
              }
          }
        if(TimeDayOfWeek(iTime(NULL,0,i))!= 0) Trigger=true;  // Trigger reset 
with this:

if (i > 0 
          && TimeDayOfWeek(iTime(NULL,0,i-1)) < TimeDayOfWeek(iTime(NULL,0,i)))
            j++;
...and it detects the start of week whether you have Sunday bars or not, Monday bars or not, whatever. You can also delete the declaration and initialization of trigger.

This error is in both of the WeeklyOpeningHistogram indicators. It might be in other things too but I haven't looked.
My understanding, (and bear in mind that this might be my mis-understanding) is that the problem is that a different crims have different W1/D1 candle start times. What is 0.00 on Monday at Cowboy IBFX is something different at Alpari etc.

I don't know how far Bob's indi coders have got with getting around this. Or how significant it is; no idea how much difference a 2/3 hour delay in the start of a new MN1/W1/D1 candle makes to the accuracy of the pivots. I suspect not a lot, but what do I know?

Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
garyfritz

Post by garyfritz »

SteveHopwood wrote:My understanding, (and bear in mind that this might be my mis-understanding) is that the problem is that a different crims have different W1/D1 candle start times. What is 0.00 on Monday at Cowboy IBFX is something different at Alpari etc.
That's right. Cowboy IBFX's first candle starts sometime on Sunday. The indi looked for a Sunday candle to mark the start of the week. (Though I don't think it worked entirely right even for that. I think it used the open of the **last** Sunday candle instead of the open of the **first** Sunday candle.)

Many crims don't have a Sunday candle, since many of them start at 00:00 on Monday, or later. So I changed the test to say "if this bar's day-of-week is larger than the next bar's day-of-week, then this is the last bar of the week." That works for any start time.
I don't know how far Bob's indi coders have got with getting around this. Or how significant it is; no idea how much difference a 2/3 hour delay in the start of a new MN1/W1/D1 candle makes to the accuracy of the pivots. I suspect not a lot, but what do I know?
I doubt it makes much difference in most cases. Most code is looking at the price levels in the candle, not the time. This piece of code paid attention to the time (actually the day) and that was the problem.

Return to “Nanningbob 10.x”