Thingies that happen to Steve in his other job

Postby SteveHopwood » Sat May 09, 2020 8:35 pm

One from yesterday.

It had been another beautiful day here and it was a wonderful evening. Maggie from next door and a few others were sat outside further down the lane, maybe 100 metres, enjoying the sunshine, imbibing a few drinks and celebrating VE day.

Maggie is looking after her soon-to-be 7 year old granddaughter, Emily. Em was riding her bike up and down the lane and is subject to the usual instruction to take cover if their is any vehicular activity. An Amazon driver pulled up to deliver some boxes of stuff to me. Em had taken cover at the top of my drive, but behind the van and in such a position that the driver could not possibly have seen her.

So I said, "Ehup darling. Come right onto my drive so you are out of the way if the driver reverses." She moved a little bit, but nowhere near far enough. I took her in one hand and the bike in the other and led them both to total safety.

Amazon driver departed so I said, "Okay sweetheart. Off you go."

"Thanks Steve," called Maggie then, " What do you say Emily?" "Thank you Steve," came the cute response. I want to teach this one to play the piano once the lockdown is completely lifted.

:xm: :rocket:
Read the effing manual, ok?

Global Prime is the official SHF broker. Click here to sign up for a live account with Global Prime and join the 600+ Steve Hopwood members who choose GP as their broker of choice.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Tommaso (milanese) for all the incredible work he does here.
SteveHopwood

Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Postby SteveHopwood » Tue May 19, 2020 7:36 pm

Nothing to do with teaching but we all need a bit of a lift these days. One pleasant and one lovely incident from a few minutes ago.

Village people tend to be friendly. We are few and far between,so there is no competition for space as there is in the cities. We do not have the stress of continually needing to dodge others as we walk along the pavements.

I decided to stroll to the Coop this evening. The road crosses the canal. It swings around a sharp bend at the crossing and there is no pavement,so there is a foot bridge that allows walkers to cross safely.

I was approaching the bridge when a young man on a bicycle came around the corner and I heard him call back behind him, "There will be someone on the bridge."

I guessed there was a runner following on behind - it is a way to keep female runners safe by being accompanied by a male on a bike. I hung back and a young lady runner appeared around the corner. I moved well aside from my entrance to the bridge and gestured her forward, to save some extra metres of running.

"Thank you," they both called out as they passed.

"My pleasure," I called back to them. "Enjoy yourselves." "You too," replied the girl.

I reached the Coop just as a dad and his young daughter cycled into the car park - about 8 years old I am guessing.

Some of the staff at the Coop have been working there almost as long as I have been a customer. Linda is one of those. We enter through the bottom of the building and exit through the top after paying at the tills.

The little girl who just arrived on her bike appeared at the glass exit door, doing a double armed wave. Linda waved back and said, "That is my grand daughter."

"I will let her in," I replied and approached the door so that it would open from the inside. "Ehup sweetheart. Do you want to come in?"

Came the cute reply, "No thank you. I have to guard the bikes."

Leaving aside that there is no need to guard anything from anybody, this little dab would be unable to guard the bikes from anyone over the age of 7. Her dad was waiting to pay when I got back to the tills, so I grinned at him and said, "That is one dedicated little girl you have there."

He grinned back and replied, "Yep, and it stops her following me around the store demanding that I buy every piece of rubbish that her little eyes alight upon."

A dad with sense. :lol:

I was stood on the bridge on the way back, watching the ducks. Dad and Bike Guarder cycled past me on the way home. I called out, "You did a great job of bike guarding sweetheart." She called back, "I know. I am a master bike guarder." :lol:

Awwwweeeee

:xm: :rocket:
Read the effing manual, ok?

Global Prime is the official SHF broker. Click here to sign up for a live account with Global Prime and join the 600+ Steve Hopwood members who choose GP as their broker of choice.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Tommaso (milanese) for all the incredible work he does here.
SteveHopwood

Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Previous

Return to Lounge