The 100,000 pips SPB Challenge

Post by shanying »

:!!: :!!: :!!: :!!:
dclayw
Trader

Post by dclayw »

This thread has been quiet......

After a long break I've been back a couple of months now and have been running a few demos on SPB3 for just on 10 weeks. So it's balls of steel approach. Kicked these demos off on 22/7 (a Monday) and first thing I noticed was some pendings were placed on some pairs where SS the day before was neutral (white cross on dashboard and SS indi displaying the same). Anyone noticed this before?, or am I barking up the wrong tree again. I haven't checked it thoroughly, might only happen on Mondays. I noticed it at least one other time when I kicked off another demo.

Example is GBPUSD where SS (1.7,7,50) on the day before (Friday 19/7) was neutral but buy pendings were placed. The pair went into deep dive after that when Boris became PM 2 days later and started talking no Brexit deal. Trading decision is meant to be based on SS at close of previous candle. Another pair on that same day was AUDCHF where buy pendings were placed but 19/7 SS was neutral.

Will see if I can replicate but anyone seen it before?
dclayw
Trader

Post by dclayw »

The problem I describe above happens on my VPS only, not on my PCs, which means I'm likely to never find the cause. I think it only happens on Mondays. While the dashboard always shows SS correctly, for some reason on Mondays the SS from Thursday is being used to make the trading decision, not the SS from Friday.

I don't believe it's an EA problem, more likely some setting on the VPS. I have absolutely no idea what, my VPS is set to my timezone and I restart it weekly.
pivotter
Trader

Post by pivotter »

dclayw » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:21 pm wrote:The problem I describe above happens on my VPS only, not on my PCs, which means I'm likely to never find the cause. I think it only happens on Mondays. While the dashboard always shows SS correctly, for some reason on Mondays the SS from Thursday is being used to make the trading decision, not the SS from Friday.

I don't believe it's an EA problem, more likely some setting on the VPS. I have absolutely no idea what, my VPS is set to my timezone and I restart it weekly.
Hi dclayw, we need more detail,
A- Are you running FXT-SPB-3.mq4 from post 1 ?
B- Do you use a setfile ? if so please upload it to your post.

As for the point is this about VPS ?
The main SPB series are updated with a patch for VPS where the smiley was still present but the EA stopped working.

Attached is FXT-SPB-3T.mq4 with the VPS patch.

To follow updates on SPB follow the Slopey Peaky Bob and The Slopey Peaky Bob family thread

Pivotter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You think the rumbling comes from our "magic" black-box ?
dclayw
Trader

Post by dclayw »

pivotter wrote: A- Are you running FXT-SPB-3.mq4 from post 1 ?
Pivotter
A. Ofcourse I'm running FXT-SPB-3 (from post 1), that's what this thread is all about. It is based on SPB v 1L.
B. I said I was running a few demos. By definition that means I'm using setfiles. Samples are on fxtestify, same username with numeric suffix.

The v3T you posted is exactly the same as the version I am running which is based on 1L as I said, and to my knowledge has not been updated by Thomas since January this year. No idea on the VPS patch you're talking about either.
pivotter
Trader

Post by pivotter »

dclayw » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:17 pm wrote:
pivotter wrote: A- Are you running FXT-SPB-3.mq4 from post 1 ?
Pivotter
A. Ofcourse I'm running FXT-SPB-3 (from post 1), that's what this thread is all about. It is based on SPB v 1L.
B. I said I was running a few demos. By definition that means I'm using setfiles. Samples are on fxtestify, same username with numeric suffix.

The v3T you posted is exactly the same as the version I am running which is based on 1L as I said, and to my knowledge has not been updated by Thomas since January this year. No idea on the VPS patch you're talking about either.

No, your version is not the same as the 3T
in 3T the secure timer function is added

bool secureSetTimer(int seconds)

And that bool is the vps fix, this fix has a written intro in the code and it states:

//This is another brilliant idea by tomele. Many thanks Thomas. Here is the explanation:
/*
I am testing something René has developed on Eaymon's VPS as well as on Google's VPS. I ran into a problem with EventSetTimer().
This problem was reported by other users before and apparently occurs only on VPS's, not on desktop machines. The problem is that
calls to EventSetTimer() eventually fail with different error codes returned. The EA stays on the chart with a smiley (it
is not removed), but no timer events are sent to OnTimer() and the EA doesn't act anymore.

The problem might be caused by the VPS running out of handles. A limited number of these handles is shared as a pool
between all virtual machines running on the same host machine. The problem occurs randomly when all handles are in use
and can be cured by repeatedly trying to set a timer until you get no error code.

I have implemented a function secureSetTimer() that does this. If you replace EventSetTimer() calls with secureSetTimer()
calls in the EA code, this VPS problem will not affect you anymore:

*/

Now if you had used a simple Compare program to compare version 3 and 3T you would have found this answers yourself.

So, test the version with securetimer on your vps and see how it goes.

Pivotter
dclayw
Trader

Post by dclayw »

My apologies pivotter. I did do a file compare, the version I am running with the version in post 1 (no differences) and wrongly assumed the one you posted was from post 1. I do keep across SPB threads but missed that secureSetTimer change to 1L. I will roll it into mt VPS when I get a chance and see if it makes any difference.
pivotter
Trader

Post by pivotter »

dclayw » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:21 pm wrote:My apologies pivotter. I did do a file compare, the version I am running with the version in post 1 (no differences) and wrongly assumed the one you posted was from post 1. I do keep across SPB threads but missed that secureSetTimer change to 1L. I will roll it into mt VPS when I get a chance and see if it makes any difference.
No problem, now if you still want to check if the trade is opened with the right signal then you can add code to your EA

Search for the lines with sendsingle trade:

result = sendSingleTrade(

Then make space below this line and add :
if (result ){
Print (IntegerToString(__LINE__)+" Fill the gap sendSingleTrade OP_BUYSTOP "
+ " SSColor "+htfSsStatus[pairIndex]+" Peaky status "+PeakyStatus[PairIndex]
+" Sendprice "+DoubleToString(sendPrice));
}//if (result ){

The display has a small delay to save cpu and in this time the signal could switch from neutral to green and back to neutral, so you would see nothing but the signal is given and only logging would show it.

You can add the same logging to the D1 candle

Pivotter
richard96816

Post by richard96816 »

eRIKb81 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:17 am wrote:Hi there, i created a variation of SPB3 with some code from the 'Weekly Peaky Bob' (http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... p?p=162948). Basically it adds a trade filter from the code in WPB:
- SS has to agree with 'Weekly' to enter a trade.
- There is a close when either SS or the Weekly gives an opposing signal

So i guess this one should be called Weekly Slopey Peaky Bob: WSPB.

I have no idea how this thing will behave, i guess it will trade less and should exit trades faster, hopefully reducing drawdown.

I will start it this monday, fingers crossed.

I may have changed some settings compared to the original SPB3, be aware of that.

You mod works quite well! Thank you.

Here's a patch to fix a very minor nit with display of column totals ...
FXT-SPB-3-weekly_mod-fix.mq4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Coordinated EA Testing Forum”