Hopelessly confused by TDesk or Desky? Ask here.

SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Post by SteveHopwood »

RMSSC » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:26 am wrote:Good Morning,
Thanks in advance Steve and eaymon for the quick intervention, it is always great to know that we have experienced people to answer us.
I always put the values that came by default in Empty4, because I have read to run Force History what I interpreted that we need a lot of history. This a doubt that i have, because sincerely I am ignorant in programming :roll:
Eaymon I will send my email and name by P.M.
Cheers
RMSSC
The number of bars you load in your history and on your charts depends on what you are doing.

For example, take Moving Day. This is the bot I created when I noticed how often a cross of the 20 period D1 moving average was followed by a sustained move in the direction of the cross. You would want many bars on your chart if you wanted to go a long way back in time to see how well the idea might have played out over a long period of time. You would do this on your desktop PC or lappy, to take advantage of the extra power available to you on those machines.

You do not need gazillions of bars if your are using your VPS to trade with an EA, or to manage manually opened trades with MPTM or any of the other managers available here.

For example, trading Slopey Peaky Bob you would need a maximum of 2,000 bars on your chart - in fact probably 1,900 as Peaky spots the highest hilo's of the previous just under 1,900 bars. Another 50,000 bars stretching back into the past would be irrelevant. They might look pretty if you have, say, HGI loaded onto a chart, but the trading EA does not care what happened yesterday, let alone 10 years ago.

Taking Moving Day again as an example. He trades when the market crosses the D1 20 period EMA, but uses the H1 time frame to evaluate the cross. A long cross is when the bar two hours ago closed below the EMA and the bar one hour ago closed above. So, when I look at an H1 chart to check the bot's behaviour I have a 480 period EMA drawn to emulate the D1 20 period EMA i.e. 20 days multiplied by 24 hours per day.

This means I only need 480 bars on my chart - although I usually have 2,000. No reason to - I just do. The only thingy that would happen if I had the full complement of Empty4 default bars is a long, pretty, irrelevant line on my charts and a vast loss of ability to do lots of thingies on my VPS.

Eaymon's VPS is indeed cheaper and more powerful than the rest, but a fiver gets you a bet that I am only able to run 15 demos because of my ruthless pruning of anything the platform does not need to fulfil its task.

I hope this helps.

:xm: :rocket:
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
RMSSC
Trader

Post by RMSSC »

Thanks Steve, for the excellent explanation. :hi:
Now my VPS is running better.
Cheers

SteveHopwood » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:10 pm wrote:
RMSSC » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:26 am wrote:Good Morning,
Thanks in advance Steve and eaymon for the quick intervention, it is always great to know that we have experienced people to answer us.
I always put the values that came by default in Empty4, because I have read to run Force History what I interpreted that we need a lot of history. This a doubt that i have, because sincerely I am ignorant in programming :roll:
Eaymon I will send my email and name by P.M.
Cheers
RMSSC
The number of bars you load in your history and on your charts depends on what you are doing.

For example, take Moving Day. This is the bot I created when I noticed how often a cross of the 20 period D1 moving average was followed by a sustained move in the direction of the cross. You would want many bars on your chart if you wanted to go a long way back in time to see how well the idea might have played out over a long period of time. You would do this on your desktop PC or lappy, to take advantage of the extra power available to you on those machines.

You do not need gazillions of bars if your are using your VPS to trade with an EA, or to manage manually opened trades with MPTM or any of the other managers available here.

For example, trading Slopey Peaky Bob you would need a maximum of 2,000 bars on your chart - in fact probably 1,900 as Peaky spots the highest hilo's of the previous just under 1,900 bars. Another 50,000 bars stretching back into the past would be irrelevant. They might look pretty if you have, say, HGI loaded onto a chart, but the trading EA does not care what happened yesterday, let alone 10 years ago.

Taking Moving Day again as an example. He trades when the market crosses the D1 20 period EMA, but uses the H1 time frame to evaluate the cross. A long cross is when the bar two hours ago closed below the EMA and the bar one hour ago closed above. So, when I look at an H1 chart to check the bot's behaviour I have a 480 period EMA drawn to emulate the D1 20 period EMA i.e. 20 days multiplied by 24 hours per day.

This means I only need 480 bars on my chart - although I usually have 2,000. No reason to - I just do. The only thingy that would happen if I had the full complement of Empty4 default bars is a long, pretty, irrelevant line on my charts and a vast loss of ability to do lots of thingies on my VPS.

Eaymon's VPS is indeed cheaper and more powerful than the rest, but a fiver gets you a bet that I am only able to run 15 demos because of my ruthless pruning of anything the platform does not need to fulfil its task.

I hope this helps.

SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Post by SteveHopwood »

RMSSC » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:30 pm wrote:Thanks Steve, for the excellent explanation. :hi:
Now my VPS is running better.
Cheers
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

RMSSC
Trader

Post by RMSSC »

Good morning everyone,
Although I already use Desky (I have already read the manual several times), I have some interpretation problems because my English is probably not the best (it is not my native language) and my problem is the following:
I am testing Thomas's SPB (viewtopic.php?f=106&t=5681), with two simulations, the first for a € 1,000 account (lots of 0.01) and the second for an account of € 20,000 (0.02).
My problem is with the first account in which I would like to limit the number of trades that can open, for example a maximum of 15 trades.
I've already changed values on the grid, but something I'm not doing well.
Can any kind soul help me in this particular case?
I am very sorry if I am asking a stupid question.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SteveHopwood
Owner

Post by SteveHopwood »

RMSSC » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:38 am wrote:Good morning everyone,
Although I already use Desky (I have already read the manual several times), I have some interpretation problems because my English is probably not the best (it is not my native language) and my problem is the following:
I am testing Thomas's SPB (viewtopic.php?f=106&t=5681), with two simulations, the first for a € 1,000 account (lots of 0.01) and the second for an account of € 20,000 (0.02).
My problem is with the first account in which I would like to limit the number of trades that can open, for example a maximum of 15 trades.
There is no facility to limit the number of trades in the grid once FillTheGap is enabled. I will add this.

RMSSC
Trader

Post by RMSSC »

SteveHopwood » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:14 am wrote:
RMSSC » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:38 am wrote:Good morning everyone,
There is no facility to limit the number of trades in the grid once FillTheGap is enabled. I will add this.

Thanks Steve, it would be great to have that option.
Now and not wanting to be an idiot, if I disable FillTheGap, where can I limit the number of trades?
Cheers,
RMSSC
SteveHopwood
Owner

Post by SteveHopwood »

RMSSC » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:25 pm wrote:
Now and not wanting to be an idiot, if I disable FillTheGap, where can I limit the number of trades?
Cheers,
RMSSC
I tell you what. Donate a few more bucks into Tommaso's pot and I will answer your question immediately I receive notification, and add the relevant new code tomorrow.

RMSSC
Trader

Post by RMSSC »

SteveHopwood » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:30 pm wrote:
Cheers,
RMSSC
I tell you what. Donate a few more bucks into Tommaso's pot and I will answer your question immediately I receive notification, and add the relevant new code tomorrow.

I have already done it with the greatest pleasure, dear friend, within my current possibilities.
You may be able to implement a donation system in exchange for the best configurations for the most successful EA in this forum.
I believe that donations would increase a lot, you are all doing a great job and deserve to be rewarded.
Right now I have a few demos running but it is not enough, I will have to do one more upgrade to the VPS that you have indicated as I have not yet found the perfect formula for them.
Cheers,
RMSSC
SteveHopwood
Owner

Post by SteveHopwood »

Cheers,
RMSSC
Thanks for your donation.

For now, limit the number of trades by setting :
  • FillTheGaps to false.
  • RollingGrid to false.
  • GridSize to whatever the max grid size you want to achieve.
Then scroll way down to MaxPairsAllowedToTrade input. This is a loooonnnggg way down and is in the "Maximum trading pairs safety feature" inputs. For example, if you set MaxPairsAllowedToTrade to 3 and GridSize to 5, then the most trades you should have open is 15.

Tomorrow I shall add some grid inputs to limit max trades per pair and max trades overall.

This is the sort of thingy whose use only becomes evident as people use an EA. Well done for bringing it up. :clap:

SteveHopwood
Owner

Post by SteveHopwood »

Cheers,
RMSSC
I have added the code. Details at viewtopic.php?p=169748#p169748

Return to “TDesk: A Thomas Special. The greatest trading tool ever.”