Oanda TDesk Drone - Artificial Hedging for U.S. Traders

cozybooks
Trader

Post by cozybooks »

Hi Lonnie,

This looks spectacular! :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

Being even more thick headed that usual early on a weekend morning, I"m not sure I understand the problem with the Oanda demo accounts. I have two different Oanda demo accounts running now that I've opened running on the same workstation, and of course they allow no hedging, so one does all of the buying and one does all of the selling. Will this meet your needs for testing?

If I remember correctly, every time I want to open a new demo account with Oanda, I just run the Empty4 setup and choose a different folder (or sometimes I just make a copy of an existing folder), then start it up and tell it I want to open a new demo account for the login.

Let me know if the issue is different or bigger than this. Thanks!

I also have demo accounts with Traders Way and FX Choice that do allow hedging. Not sure if they still do, but at the time I created the demo accounts they were still accepting U.S. citizens, so they allowed setting up a demo.

Steve
tomele
Administrator

Post by tomele »

Hi Lonnie.

Wow, that is brilliant. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Jonah » 29 Dec 2018, 04:46 wrote:Perhaps using another broker that does allow hedging on demo accounts can be used. Not sure how different the price data displayed would be though.
That will be a huge challenge. Price feeds can be very different. And you will have problems like pending orders or stops that trigger only on one side etc. Those inconsistencies will be hard to solve.
Any other features that it should have?
I am not an US citizen (and not a big fan of hedging at all). I would like the possibility to have all my trades in one FXTrade account. I presume you have already planned for that option.

Cheers
Thomas
Happy pippin, Thomas :-BD

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
(Mark Twain)

Keep the coder going: Donate
cozybooks
Trader

Post by cozybooks »

Ah, now that it's not 7am on a Saturday, the problem is more obvious. Duh!

Thomas is right. Very different results on different feeds from different brokers. Not that I have too many accounts running at once, but look at four charts of GBPUSD 1-Hour timeframe on the same workstation, just different Empty4 platforms. The very last hour of the week breaks down as:

Traders Way: Open: 1.26941 High: 1.27057 Low: 1.26929 Close: 1.26985
FX Choice : Open: 1.26981 High: 1.26992 Low: 1.26913 Close: 1.26948
Oanda : Open: 1.26977 High: 1.26987 Low: 1.26869 Close: 1.26902
Forex.com : Open: 1.26979 High: 1.26990 Low: 1.26914 Close: 1.26964

Imagine how different your EA results could be on each.

Oanda and Forex.com are both live accounts and the difference on the low price is 4-1/2 pips. FX-Choice and Traders Way are both demos, but the Traders Way prices seem very far off from the other brokers.

I suppose if Lonnie can get this working as a true trade copier feeding to Oanda, it would be up to each of us how we would use it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tomele
Administrator

Post by tomele »

Different price feeds can be a disatvantage ...or advantage. It's like slippage. There is something like positive slippage. Some brokers even publish statistics about the positive and negative slippage of their executions.

I don't see the price feed difference as a problem in itself. That might level out. Sometimes the trades are worse, sometimes they are better. The problem will be matching the trades of the two worlds. Entry price can't be the criterion.

Lonnie will solve that. I am sure. He is brilliant. :!!:

Cheers
Thomas
Happy pippin, Thomas :-BD

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
(Mark Twain)

Keep the coder going: Donate
Jonah
Trader

Post by Jonah »

cozybooks » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:22 pm wrote: Traders Way: Open: 1.26941 High: 1.27057 Low: 1.26929 Close: 1.26985
FX Choice : Open: 1.26981 High: 1.26992 Low: 1.26913 Close: 1.26948
Oanda : Open: 1.26977 High: 1.26987 Low: 1.26869 Close: 1.26902
Forex.com : Open: 1.26979 High: 1.26990 Low: 1.26914 Close: 1.26964
Thank you very much for posting this. I have been very curious as to how close in pricing various accounts are.
cozybooks » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:22 pm wrote: I suppose if Lonnie can get this working as a true trade copier feeding to Oanda, it would be up to each of us how we would use it?
My thoughts exactly. I am trying to make it so that anyone can use it how they wish. One account, two accounts, hedging, no hedging, etc...
tomele wrote:The problem will be matching the trades of the two worlds. Entry price can't be the criterion.
Surprisingly, matching the trades for trade management was extremely easy. Matching the data from both and displaying them in a meaningful way has been a bit more of a challenge.
-- Lonnie.

"Give a man a program, frustrate him for a day. Teach a man to program, frustrate him for a lifetime." (Muhammad Waseem)
Jonah
Trader

Post by Jonah »

Squashed a few bugs. New version posted.

Version 1.02

BUG FIXED: Code to wait 10 seconds for TDesk was commented out and causing the dash to load fully when the terminal was restarted.

BUG FIXED: Incorrect logic when calculating time between hedge trades was allowing for no hedge trades at after a set time.
-- Lonnie.

"Give a man a program, frustrate him for a day. Teach a man to program, frustrate him for a lifetime." (Muhammad Waseem)
sandberg
Trader

Post by sandberg »

Hi Lonnie,
Thank you for creating this Drone. Are the image files you reference in your manual still available?
Adam
Jonah
Trader

Post by Jonah »

sandberg » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:16 pm wrote:Hi Lonnie,
Thank you for creating this Drone. Are the image files you reference in your manual still available?
Adam
Oops. I have added them to the first post.
-- Lonnie.

forexsam
Trader

Post by forexsam »

Hi Lonnie,
This is absolutely fabulous! Just FYI, the AutoButton image that is uploaded/zipped on page 1 is in PNG format. For those that already downloaded/installed it, just have them Open with Paint (or preferred photo editor) do a little Save As BMP. Game On ..

:!!:

Ken
sandberg
Trader

Post by sandberg »

Jonah » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:28 am wrote:
Oops. I have added them to the first post.

Thanks!

Return to “TDesk: A Thomas Special. The greatest trading tool ever.”