Brokers For Canadian & American Traders

TransparentT
Trader

Post by TransparentT »

Post #1 has been updated with new brokers added to the first list. The number of brokers accepting both Canadian and American traders has been increased from 70 brokers to 76 brokers in total.

I've gotten a ton of responses back from brokers and it's as I expected. Very few accept both Americans and Canadians, some accept Canadians but not Americans, and most of them accept neither.

We'll see how many brokers either follow up late or do not respond at all. But I'm confident the list will continue to see regular upgrades for the foreseeable future.
TransparentT
Trader

Post by TransparentT »

To kick off the new year of 2022, Post #1 has been updated with new brokers added to the first list. The number of brokers accepting both Canadian and American traders has been increased from 76 brokers to 82 brokers in total. Also added two new brokers worthy of attention for Canadian traders but NOT American traders.

Got a lot of emails back when I came to my work desk today from brokers I had contacted during the holidays. Sent out a few more follow-ups this afternoon and I'll see if anything changes from here on out.
AdaptiveFX

Post by AdaptiveFX »

I don't see it on your list, perhaps because it's not a typical forex broker like the others, but folks in the USA can also trade Forex with TDAmeritrade (highly reputable) using their thinkorswim platform.

I haven't tried it myself, but I do have an account with them and I know the option is available.
tdameritrade_forex.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tomele
Administrator

Post by tomele »

Good one.

If you mention Ameritrade's platform ThinkOrSwim, you must mention its creator, Tom Sosnoff. Many years ago he left Ameritrade and started his own brokerage. Tastytrade are located in Chicago, IL and for sure serve US customers. They are NOT a forex broker, but if you want to trade options, futures or cryptos, per my experience you will hardly find a better partner.

Cheers
Happy pippin, Thomas :-BD

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
(Mark Twain)

Keep the coder going: Donate
TransparentT
Trader

Post by TransparentT »

Post #1 has been updated with the addition of TDAmeritrade to the second list, noting tomele's endorsement of the TastyTrade brokerage (futures, options, crypto) started by TDAmeritrade's creator, while also noting Canadians are unable to trade with this broker.

Hat tip to AdaptiveFX for bringing this to my attention!
kriptopoulin
Trader

Post by kriptopoulin »

Thanks for the amazing information.It would be really appreaciated.
TransparentT
Trader

Post by TransparentT »

kriptopoulin » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:37 am wrote:Thanks for the amazing information.It would be really appreaciated.
Everything you need is in post #1 of this thread. :smile:
eaymon
Trader

Post by eaymon »

Hey All,

So I wanted to add my 2 cents and share things I learnt trying to set up my own brokerage 2-3 years ago, it might help you in your decision on picking your next brokerage. It didn't go as planned for me but you do learn so much more from your mistakes... especially the costly ones ;).

A lot of the white label brokers organize your account into A book and B book/dealing desk (if you don't already know). B book clients usually is for accounts under $10,000... Their trades never hit the market because they believe you're not a professional trader and you're more likely to lose your funds. The second you start making some serious cash you might have trouble withdrawing. Not all do this but buyer beware!

If your broker is hitting a liquidity provider (LP) (which means your trades are actually going to market) the broker is required to hold capital reserves to trade against and they get a much lower leverage than you're getting like 1:10-1:50.

For example you deposit $1,000 and broker provides you with 1:200 leverage.
The liquidity provider requires the broker to have $10,000 at 1:20 leverage in their account for trading purposes. Obviously it's a pool of all trader funds and you don't need to have all of it but there is a capital requirement above your deposited funds to match the trade sizes.

Now... why is this important to you as a trader?
  • Smaller/newer brokers offering high leverage, might not have the capital requirements and are B booking you
  • Crypto only deposit brokers .. if LP's require capital reserves and crypto based brokers never get cash... how are their trades going to market? Also with the crypto market recently being cut in half wouldn't some of these brokers go out of business?
Same thing happens with these so called prop firms... tried that too. Out of 100 challenges only two people makes it to a 'live' account and from what the provider informed me(and what I saw)... is that most of them fail on the 'live' account in the first few weeks anyways. They make their money on the challenges and just payout from the accumulated funds. If you know how to game their systems... do it, just remember it might not last forever.

HTH and stay safe ppl

I'm currently on the hunt for a PAMM provider in North America, if anyone has any recommendations..
eaymon
Trader

Post by eaymon »

One other thing to be aware of on Forex Peace Army... when you see a lot of reviews back to back and then a gap. i.e. 10 reviews in 10 days then nothing for a month or two....

very suspect.
TransparentT
Trader

Post by TransparentT »

Post #1 has been updated with new brokers added to the first list. The number of brokers accepting Canadian and American traders has increased from 82 to 85 brokers in total.

I would be shocked if this list ever goes to a total of 90 brokers. Likely the list will be reduced over time due to regulations or a sudden disappearance from the Internet.

As always I'll keep you guys posted when the list gets updated!

Return to “Alternatives to Global Prime”