Moving Day

SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Moving Day

Post by SteveHopwood »

SERIOUS WARNING
  • Most Forex traders lose all their money.
  • Using the robot posted here in trading Forex does not guarantee success.
  • Trading this robot could lead to serious financial loss.
  • Trading this robot without understanding its underlying trading strategies guarantees traders will lose their money.
  • At best, a trading robot is only 90% as good as the manual strategy it trades. At best. At worst, it can be much less effective. If the strategy is rubbish, so is the robot.
  • To trade this robot, you have to understand:
    • How to use EA's.
    • Moving averages
MAKE SURE YOU READ THIS POST http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... 41#p111241 There was a Forex bloodbath on Jan 15th 2015 that you need to know about. This sort of Black Swan event can happen at any second.

Moving Day is closer to the Holy Grail of a set-and-forget EA than we have ever been. You may want to intervene manually from time to time, but try leaving it to its own devices on demo.

I wanted a chart pic to illustrate a cross of a moving average whilst writing my getting started from scratch guide (viewtopic.php?p=169343#p169343). I opened a D1 chart and dragged a 20 period exponential moving average onto it, then saved the chart as a picture for the guide.

I noticed how often the market continued in the direction of a cross of the moving average, often for some considerable time.

Moving Day is a multi-pair EA that exploits this feature. Details are in the attached User Guide. Do not be lazy and merely try to load up Moving Day; this will not work. You do not need the guide if you are already familiar with MD. Just remember that you need the TDesk and fxtestify Include and Libraries files.

Moving Day is not the easiest EA in the world to set up, especially if you are new to this and doubly especially if English is not your first language. I do not care. That is your problem. Do not post your problems here. I have set up a thread where you can post them confident that someone will answer patiently: viewtopic.php?p=169627#p169627 Use it.

We are finding that grid trading is the way to go with this bot. Read this post viewtopic.php?p=170054#p170054 for a wonderful example of how powerful it can be.

Enjoy.

:xm: :rocket:

Matters of general interest
Go here to download and run the script that will fill your platform's missing chart history: http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... f=15&t=254
Read this post:
http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... p?f=6&t=78 Newbie traders, read this for inspiration and warning. Those of you who have suffered losses, read it for inspiration.

Masterly summary of hedging: http://www.forexfactory.com/showthread. ... ost4977179

EA coding
I receive may requests to code EA's. Traders, if I code your EA for free, then I will share it here. If you want me to code your EA without sharing, then my fee is $100 payable into my paypal account. I explain why at http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... ?f=15&t=79, at the bottom of the post.

Useful utilities/EA's/scripts -

-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Moving Day

Post by SteveHopwood »

Posted 15th March 2020

Here is where I post account numbers and Investor passwords for demo accounts that you can follow.

The "Investor" password means you can view the account but are unable to make changes, so you need not worry about screwing anything up.

Edit on May 3rd, 2020
This account is doing well. I have been successful with grid trading with the same TP on all trades, The account details are:
Login: 2179958
Investor: kph4cvv

Edit 3rd June, 2020
Here is one that has started well. Grid of trigger trade + 5 at 10 pip intervals, all stop orders. The global TP is $1,000 (lot size 1). The idea is to take smaller profits more often than happens with a larger TP.

Login: 2185100
j4mhezj

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

SteveHopwood
Owner

Moving Day

Post by SteveHopwood »

Reserved.

SteveHopwood
Owner

Moving Day

Post by SteveHopwood »

Sam could hardly have timed this post better: viewtopic.php?p=169639#p169639 Clever people are often funny people, so give the thread a view if you want some laughs.

The code to delete stop orders following a recross in the opposite direction still wasn't bloody working, so I have added some more code. I just tested it by sending a stop order in the wrong direction and MD instantly deleted it, so it is working now. Post 1 as usual.

Or a simple DIY. Go to the end of void countOpenTrades(string symbol, int pairIndex) and add this code just underneath the ArraySort() calls:

Code: Select all

//Earlier code intended to delete stop orders following
   //an opposite direction cross is not working. Call a function
   //to correct this.
   if (marketBuysCount > 0)
      if (sellStopOpen)
         sortOutTheMess(symbol);

if (marketSellsCount > 0)
      if (buyStopOpen)
         sortOutTheMess(symbol);

if (buyStopOpen)
      if (sellStopOpen)
         sortOutTheMess(symbol);
Then add the new function just underneath CountOpenTrades()

void sortOutTheMess(string symbol)
{

//Earlier code intended to delete stop orders following
   //an opposite direction cross is not working. This function is
   //an attempt to sort out the mess. Nothing else has bloody well worked.

deletePendings = true;

double val = getMa(symbol, MaTimeFrame, MaPeriod, MaShift, MaMethod, MaAppliedPrice, 0);

getBasics(symbol);

if (bid > val)
   {
      closeAllTrades(symbol, OP_SELL);
      closeAllTrades(symbol, OP_SELLSTOP);
   }//if (bid > val)

if (bid < val)
   {
      closeAllTrades(symbol, OP_BUY);
      closeAllTrades(symbol, OP_BUYSTOP);
   }//if (bid < val)

deletePendings = false;

}//void sortOutTheMess(string symbol)
A little cosmetic thingy. Do a search for:
sm(sizingInfo + NL);

Insert this immediately above, to display the trading strategy you have chosen:

if (UseSingleTradingMethod)
      sizingInfo = sizingInfo + "   Single trading method is enabled";
   else   
      sizingInfo = sizingInfo + "   Grid trading method is enabled";

SteveHopwood
Owner

Moving Day

Post by SteveHopwood »

V 1a is in post 1. I have added SPB's hidden stop loss and take profit feature. You do not need the updated user guide if you are already familiar with the feature.

DIY:
Do a search for:
extern string tex="---- Trade exits ----";

Scroll down to the bottom of the ATR inputs. Insert this:
extern string hslt="-- Hidden take profit and stop loss --";
extern bool HideStopLossAndTakeProfit=false;

Go to:
bool lookForTradeClosure(int ticket, int pairIndex)

Scroll down to:
bool OppositeColour = false;

Delete that line of code as it has no function. Replace it with:

//Hidden tpsl
   if (HideStopLossAndTakeProfit)
   {
      string symbol = OrderSymbol();
      int type = OrderType();
      double price = OrderOpenPrice();
      take = calculateTakeProfit(symbol, type, price);
      stop = calculateStopLoss(symbol, type, price);
   }//if (HideStopLossAndTakeProfit)
Make sure the new code is underneath double stop = OrderStopLoss();

c1borg
Trader

Moving Day for the hopelessly confused. Ask here.

Post by c1borg »

SteveHopwood » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:59 pm wrote: It is indeed a pleasant thingy to see. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Those of you who started to demo MD last week will have been disappointed. It was a losing week. They happen and it is hard when they happen just as you start up.

This week has made up the losses and just tipped the equity over the $30,000 mark. It might not stay there. We shall see.

It will not have escaped you folks' notice that using the pending trades thingy is a double edged sword. Wonderful when it works, but costly when a pending trade fills and then the market reverses and recrosses the moving average.

I am going to do a cull of the SPB tribe this coming weekend. Many of them are not performing at all. Others are profitable but so slowly that watching grass grow would be a more interesting pastime than watching those accounts. SPB and SPB CP on the hourly remain the most consistently profitable and I have them both running on live trading accounts. The CP demo will top $30,000 soon.

I shall replace the duff SPB tribe members with three MD demos that will start trading simultaneously when the markets reopen after the weekend:
  • One will take immediate market trades.
  • One will send pending trades 10 pips from the market.
  • One will send pending trades 20 pips from the market.
I will post the account numbers - no point in us all testing the same settings for anything other than satisfaction and reassurance. Maybe someone would like to test 15 pips stop orders from the market?

Another quick bump for Eaymon and FX VPS viewtopic.php?p=156450#p156450 His service has made all my testing possible. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Firstly congratulations on finding this, it shouldnt work but it does :clap:

I am slightly ahead of you as ive been running a demo with pending orders 15 pips from the market since March 1st, and interestingly I havent made an overall loss. I put the early dip down to your software update around the 5th of March and since then drawdown and profit have been greatly improved. I notice your demo also has performed better since around that time. Im obviously assuming you also updated the software around the same time, as you develop the new ideas and squash the bugs you find.

My Demo 15 pips from market and TP 80 SL 300
capture1.png
Your Demo 10 pips from the market TP 100 SL 300
capture2.png
I look forward to developing this, thanks again :hi:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SteveHopwood
Owner

Moving Day

Post by SteveHopwood »

Those of you who started to demo MD last week will have been disappointed. It was a losing week. They happen and it is hard when they happen just as you start up.

This week has been a stormer so far and has made up the losses. The balance has tipped over the $31,000 mark with an open EU sell trying to make up its mind. The balance might not stay there. We shall see.

It will not have escaped you folks' notice that using the pending trades thingy is a double edged sword. Wonderful when it works, but costly when a pending trade fills and then the market reverses and recrosses the moving average.

I am going to do a cull of the SPB tribe this coming weekend. Many of them are not performing at all. Others are profitable but so slowly that watching grass grow would be a more interesting pastime than watching those accounts. SPB and SPB CP on the hourly remain the most consistently profitable and I have them both running on live trading accounts. The CP demo will top $30,000 soon.

I shall replace the duff SPB tribe members with three MD demos that will start trading simultaneously when the markets reopen after the weekend:
  • One will take immediate market trades.
  • One will send pending trades 10 pips from the market.
  • One will send pending trades 20 pips from the market.
c1borg is testing a 15 pip distance for the pending trades. viewtopic.php?p=169694#p169694

I will post the account numbers - no point in us all testing the same settings for anything other than satisfaction and reassurance. Maybe someone would like to test 15 pips stop orders from the market?

Another quick bump for Eaymon and FX VPS viewtopic.php?p=156450#p156450 His service has made all my testing possible. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

SteveHopwood
Owner

Potential bloop

Post by SteveHopwood »

Something to watch out for folks.

I just had CHFJPY buy stop that was not closed after the market went a long way south of the moving average.

I will continue to look for code errors. In the meantime, be aware that this happened and check your charts.

Eamonn
Trader

Moving Day

Post by Eamonn »

Hi Steve

Have been testing with a similar EA today on the strategytester. I know that the results are not worth the paper they are written on.
I used a 1,2,3,4,and 5 smoothed ma as the crossover instead of a pip value.
In every case that I tested the 1 ma came out worse with the 3/4 smoothed ma as the best. Again I know craptester is garbage but maybe an option to have an ma as the trigger could alleviate the problem with whipsaw

Cheers

Eamonn.
SteveHopwood
Owner

Moving Day

Post by SteveHopwood »

Eamonn » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:06 pm wrote:Hi Steve

Have been testing with a similar EA today on the strategytester. I know that the results are not worth the paper they are written on.
I used a 1,2,3,4,and 5 smoothed ma as the crossover instead of a pip value.
In every case that I tested the 1 ma came out worse with the 3/4 smoothed ma as the best. Again I know craptester is garbage but maybe an option to have an ma as the trigger could alleviate the problem with whipsaw

Cheers

Eamonn.
Thanks for your ideas. I may act on this one in the future. I am going to leave it as it is for now, and see how the new demos I shall set up get on.

Return to “Moving Day”