Changing password with EA

Place your new trading idea here to see if someone can automate it.
profxtrader

Changing password with EA

Post by profxtrader »

I was unsure of where to post this, so I thought here would be best as it had to do with ea coding.

My question is this:

Can you change the password with an EA? I know that MQL4 doesn't have a native command for this, but I"m thinking there might be a way to call it another way. We do all sorts of other things with EA's that weren't originally intended. I call strategy tester from some of my EA's. I get the time from remote timeservers, send SMS's, get data from remote servers, launch windows functionality... so why not this?

The reasoning:

I had the idea to put an equity stop ea on an account, but as a separate layer of security (system crash, loss of connectivity, etc.), host it in a different place, different hardware and make it completely independent of the trading EA. So, if a certain percentage of DD was reached, it would close all trades and so when the other EA came back online, to prevent it from trading, the password would be changed and human intervention would be required.

Any one think this is even a remote possibility? I asked here and not FF, because I thought I might get a fewer number of intelligent reposes here as opposed to the same number there cluttered by a million retarded ones...
gaheitman
Trader

Re: Changing password with EA

Post by gaheitman »

profxtrader wrote:I was unsure of where to post this, so I thought here would be best as it had to do with ea coding.

My question is this:

Can you change the password with an EA? I know that MQL4 doesn't have a native command for this, but I"m thinking there might be a way to call it another way. We do all sorts of other things with EA's that weren't originally intended. I call strategy tester from some of my EA's. I get the time from remote timeservers, send SMS's, get data from remote servers, launch windows functionality... so why not this?

The reasoning:

I had the idea to put an equity stop ea on an account, but as a separate layer of security (system crash, loss of connectivity, etc.), host it in a different place, different hardware and make it completely independent of the trading EA. So, if a certain percentage of DD was reached, it would close all trades and so when the other EA came back online, to prevent it from trading, the password would be changed and human intervention would be required.

Any one think this is even a remote possibility? I asked here and not FF, because I thought I might get a fewer number of intelligent reposes here as opposed to the same number there cluttered by a million retarded ones...
I think the only way you could do this is with an external application that sends keystrokes to another application. Your application would have to launch it when the appropriate conditions are met.

I think it would be a security issue if they allowed you to programmatically change passwords. Any way you do it, you'll have a tough time not having your password in clear text somewhere.

What about hosting a poor man's web service and having your control application create an "OKtoTrade.html" file and have your trading EA check this file as appropriate (at launch time, before taking trades, every x minutes, etc.) and if the file doesn't exist it doesn't trade. I'm assuming your trading PC can get to your control PC via http and that you can run a web server on the control PC.

George
garyfritz

Re: Changing password with EA

Post by garyfritz »

gaheitman wrote:I think it would be a security issue if they allowed you to programmatically change passwords.
No kidding! I'd never run another .ex4 again (except my own) if I knew one of them could change my passwords!

Return to “Ideas for Possible Automation”