Simple NFP strategy

Place your new trading idea here to see if someone can automate it.
The_Snowman
Trader

Simple NFP strategy

Post by The_Snowman »

AnotherBrian » Thu May 21, 2015 12:09 am wrote:Does anyone have links to video of NFP or other high impact news announcements showing the moves in real time? You can see for yourself how price jumps all over and how your pending order might get crushed with really bad fills.
It's not actually that bad; you can watch it live yourself

The Amazing EA previously mentioned handles it okay the few times I used it

Or Google for Wayne McDonell, I watched him about 10 times trading live; not sure how safe to post any links here.

By live, doesn't mean he try to catch an up or down move (although he can & does) but usually he will wait for the retracement and enter at 50% to trade in the fundamental direction if everything lines up.

Trade Non-Farm Payrolls LIVE - 109th Edition - SPECIAL EVENT
Dewey McG
Trader

Simple NFP strategy

Post by Dewey McG »

AnotherBrian » Wed May 20, 2015 10:09 am wrote:Does anyone have links to video of NFP or other high impact news announcements showing the moves in real time? You can see for yourself how price jumps all over and how your pending order might get crushed with really bad fills.
I haven't found any youtube videos that are good, they switch charts and you cant see the price action very well.

Jem - thanks for chiming in, good to hear from a broker on such a topic.

edit - some videos that show price jumping
3min mark - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4Zu9jGnoEo
2min mark - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2fxosktT7I
1:30 mark - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lgilu41tTk
Thanks for the videos.

I am not as concerned about price jumping so much on the Kiwi as I am about spreads widening and slippage as Jem mentioned. On price alone this would have been a winner 15 out of the last 16 times "with a normal spread." Videos will help if they show the spread on this pair during that time. If not I have an indicator somewhere that will show what it was at any time as long as the indicator was on during that time. Demo accounts typically don't always show what the spread was on the live account and of course don't show any slippage.

To really test this an EA would have to have limits on slippage and spread so it doesn't take trades when either one is over a user prescribed limit.
niepce
Trader

Simple NFP strategy

Post by niepce »

Jemook » 20 May 2015 08:42 wrote:This strategy will work on a market maker broker giving perfect fills or a demo account. On an ECN broker you will most likely incur high slippage over 100+ pip data announcement moves.

I do not recommend trading this on a live Global Prime account.
On the other hand, the market maker would eventually kick your membership out because you're holding the position for a too short time. A 20 pip TP can be reached in a matter of seconds during NFP, and market makers are known to be scalping unfriendly.
cherno99
Trader

Simple NFP strategy

Post by cherno99 »

Dewey McG » Wed May 20, 2015 4:07 pm wrote:
Thanks for the videos.

I am not as concerned about price jumping so much on the Kiwi as I am about spreads widening and slippage as Jem mentioned. On price alone this would have been a winner 15 out of the last 16 times "with a normal spread." Videos will help if they show the spread on this pair during that time. If not I have an indicator somewhere that will show what it was at any time as long as the indicator was on during that time. Demo accounts typically don't always show what the spread was on the live account and of course don't show any slippage.

To really test this an EA would have to have limits on slippage and spread so it doesn't take trades when either one is over a user prescribed limit.
In the first video, the usdjpy buy stop order at 117.45 got filled @ 117.62 on Empty4 and @ 117.55 on cTrader --> slippage.

Spread seemed to be an issue just before the release +-10, not so after.

Return to “Ideas for Possible Automation”