Currency strength (like Hanover)

Place your new trading idea here to see if someone can automate it.

Re: Currency strength (like Hanover)

Postby nanningbob » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:25 pm

I am familiar with Hanover's work but it seemed to eat up a lot of computer memory. Will look at this. Thanks.
I trade HGI,
I talk about my philosophy of trading here.
My philosophy of Trading
"The key to converting something useful to others is simplicity. Complexity is the enemy to execution." Tony Robbins
nanningbob

Postby astral77 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:27 am

Fantastic work Gary. Well Done. I loosely compared it with hanover and it seems to show comparable results. Will check it out later when my mind is functioning properly.

Kind Regards
astral77

Postby Fx93 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:31 am

Is it possible to treat this like stochastics for example, with an OB/OS level?

Also, from playing around with indicators, it would seem one could plot the difference level between these various lines, which would oscillate around 0. There may even occur divergence between price and these readings. One could postulate OB/OS levels of these differences for CT trades, being regression to the mean. Just some thoughts.
Fx93

Postby Mediator » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:35 am

Hi gary,

live could be so easy, take the CCFp Indicator.
I recommend it some time in an EA board from steve to exchange the hanover module with this indicator but don't know where.

it provides you the same information and works on every TF you like Daily and higher too.

Attached is a modified version with many setting.

Cheers

Mediator
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mediator

Postby SteveHopwood » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:57 am

I know exactly how you feel Gary. Lots of sympathy.

Sq is one of the indi geniuses here, so I have sent him a pm asking him to take a look.

:D
Read the effing manual, ok?

Global Prime is the official SHF broker. Click here to sign up for a live account with Global Prime and join the 600+ Steve Hopwood members who choose GP as their broker of choice.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Tommaso (milanese) for all the incredible work he does here.
SteveHopwood

Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Postby squalou » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:51 am

garyfritz wrote:(...)

Help? Anybody with indicator experience, can you offer me some advice?

This is such a BLOODY STUPID IDIOTIC model!!! This is WHY there is such a problem with repainting indicators -- because the stupid damn thing keeps recalculating the last few bars, changing its mind retroactively. I've coded indicators on half a dozen different trading platforms and I've never seen anything like this -- nothing this complicated, nothing this confusing, and nothing that produces erroneous repainting indicators. Stupid %@#!$! braindead @%^@$%! CRAP!!T4!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Hi there....

I know exactly how you feel, Gary...

Coding indicators is a very special activity, requiring a very special mindset, indeed :mrgreen: .

You found your answer by yourself, and sometimes this is the best thing that can happen to you !

You MUST recalculate the EMA for each bar.

Empty4 designers had their moment of lucidity ( :? ) when they decided to provide the iMAOnArray() function...
However, don't think it is now a piece of cake... naaaa.... too easy... :mrgreen:
Because then their tortured minds came up with the ArraySetAsSeries() function...
and you'll start pulling your hair again, believe me.... :shock:

Fortunately enough, if you are playing with "buffers" as the input data, then you can use iMAOnArray() directly on the "buffers" at no extra brain cost...
I let you play a bit with that function...

However, that issue will be irrelevant when it comes to invoking the indicator from an EA, because iCustom() calls will reload and recalculate the indicator buffers every time, so it will give correct output buffer values at each call.

BTW, nice and clean work on the indicator code!

Sq
" Every battle is won before it is ever fought "
Sun-Tzu, The Art of War, 400BC.
squalou

Postby rebeljedi » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:08 am

Mediator wrote:Hi gary,

live could be so easy, take the CCFp Indicator.
I recommend it some time in an EA board from steve to exchange the hanover module with this indicator but don't know where.

it provides you the same information and works on every TF you like Daily and higher too.

Attached is a modified version with many setting.

Cheers

Mediator

hi garyfritz,

besides the CCFp that Mediator mentioned, there is Complex Common indicator which also looks at currency strength.
CCFp is a trend indicator whereas CC is a signal indicator for H4 timeframe.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=450#p9716
http://articles.mql4.com/484
rebeljedi

Postby SteveHopwood » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:08 pm

garyfritz wrote:I grit my teeth and tolerate the steaming stinking pile of excrement that is Empty4 only because it lets me tap into this great source of inspiration and ideas. And I use Tradestation and other platforms for my "real" work. I don't trust Empty4 any further than I can throw it. It is badly-designed garbage.

Now come on Gary. Stop beating around the bush, and say what you actually think. :lol:

Global Prime is the official SHF broker. Click here to sign up for a live account with Global Prime and join the 600+ Steve Hopwood members who choose GP as their broker of choice.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

My special thanks to Tommaso (milanese) for all the incredible work he does here.
SteveHopwood

Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Postby SteveHopwood » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:37 pm

garyfritz wrote:Oh trust me, that WAS beating about the bush. What I actually think would have made one of your profanity-laced rants look like a Sunday school lesson. :lol:

Booking my ringside seat. Two adults and a misc number of children depending on whichever of my pupils happen to be around and want to see some blood shed - that is all of them. Irreverent bunch, my lot. :lol:

Seriously, you now understand why few of us attempt to tackle both indi and ea coding. My imagination boggles at what you are trying to do.

:D

SteveHopwood

Postby Fx93 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:51 am

I just thought I'd mention that it is really easy to creatively build indicators on the thinkorswim platform. For example, I just overlaid the Standard Deviation and Standard Error indicators then plotted the difference between them, and it took like 5 minutes. So if you want to be creative fast, it's real nice. Of course, it won't help if you want to use the said indicator in an EA.
Fx93

Next

Return to Ideas for Possible Automation