A trade trigger partner for Super Slope

Place your new trading idea here to see if someone can automate it.
pacinvest
Trader

Post by pacinvest »

This is a request for a variant of the Slopey Crossy Bob or Awesome EA’s. Obviously this idea would not even exist had the programmers here over year’s of work produced these trading concepts and coding. What an effort………

I am big fan of the Super Slope indicator, in an imperfect world of indicators I think SS fulfills a basic function admirably, namely telling us is PA trending up or down and how hard.

But I think SS needs a partner on the trading time frame to identify when PA action is stretching high or stretching low. This is where high percentage entries are calling, matched with efficient exits. My goal is to combine these two things and then also stack the deck with trend information from a higher time frame.
I am currently doing trials with both Awesome Bells and Whistles and Slopey Crossy Bob. I have been digging into the charts where the losses have been lurking. As with any strategy designed to ride trends how the system deals with chop in the market, flat spots, ranging and reversals whether they be short or long in duration is the test and key to the strategy working.

A light bulb went off in my little head when I saw what Trader Joe did with combining Flying Budda with Super Slope. The idea is Flying Budda works as a partner with Super Slope to help it with entries and exits. Flying Budda basically signals when PA has pushed hard to the upside or downside. But are there other similar partners for SS that could work better and be easier to control in an EA?

What I have come up with in my trials is an indicator that has been around the traps for quite some time used in numerous trading systems in combination with all sorts of things. It is called ma_bbands. Basically it is a similar idea to Flying Budda but rather than working with just MA’s, it brings into the calculation a modification of Bollinger bands, generating signals when PA is stretching to upside and downside. So below is the general concept of the EA strategy. Within this strategy there could be many variations depending on how it is coded. To give us an example to look at I have constructed some specific rules for entries and exits and marked up some charts for everyone to have a look at.

The Basic Strategy: (I am going to stick to the Day – H4 combo for now but other combinations are possible.)
H4 is the Trading Time Frame (TTF), Day is the Higher Time Frame (HTF)
Enter when SS and ma_bbands have ‘current or recent’ signals and the HTF SS signal is in agreement
Exit when the TTF ma_bbands signal reverses or the Day SS signal reverses

Note: As with all trading ideas the devil is in the detail, in coding this thing it matters how these signals and the partnership of ma_bbands and SS works, i.e. the distance apart in candles that the signals fire. There are different scenarios to deal with such as chop, flat PA and reversals etc. In order to delve into how to code these aspects I have made an example of a possible way to trade the basic idea with some rules around how the EA deals with the various PA scenarios it will face. Obviously there could be many variations to this and someone might instantly see a better way to do this, which would be cool. Hopefully there will be simple ways to code this with user input parameters around these rules. In the charts I have prepared I have labelled the PA scenarios with R1 enter R3 continuation entry etc. So we can all evaluate quickly if these ideas have merit.

Example trading rules:
Entries

Rule 1: The HTF signals and SS or ma_bbands is in agreement and within x candles of the HTF signal (default x = 10)

Rule 2: Agreeing with HTF trend direction ma_bbands and SS signals both appear together and in any order < x candles apart (default x = 4)

Rule 3: Continuation ‘no chop’ entry: in agreement with HTF trend, SS signal follows a ma_bbands opposite signal by > x1 candles and also < x2 candles, (default x1= 7 and x2 = 15 candles)

Exits
Rule 4: Exit trade when HTF signal changes

Rule 5: Exit trade when mabbands signals opposite to the trade direction

The mabbands indy is attached along with charts

If any of you coding wizards can take a little time to code this I think it will be exciting, at least I will be excited. I would be happy to have a simple EA that trades one pair, one time frame or a multi-pair version would be great. I am not supper enthused with the multi-pair/muti-time frame version but really its over to the coder that wants to have a go.

Basic trade management options, some sort of shirt protection, swap options and a global equity closure would be magnificent but version 1 could go without these and the other goodies if needed.
Thanks to the coding team………………………….
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Radar
Trader

Post by Radar »

Hey Pacinvest,

Are you using the default values for the MA_BBands indicator?

A quick note, regarding your pics...
It looks like you were using a template for the SS indies. Before creating a template, wait for a quite time, (weekend is best), drop your indicators on the chart, then right-click, select "Object List", select "List All", and delete everything. Save that as a template.

Have fun!
Radar =8^)
Check out my new, (well, old now), manual trade & automatic scale-in manager,
StackManV2
pacinvest
Trader

Post by pacinvest »

Thanks Radar

Yes I was using default settings for mabbands.

I have attached another couple of charts for us to have a look at.

There is one there that compares the mabbands signals to the flying budda signals
and another that looks at how the system looks on a trending pair NZDUSD. Entries are marked with an arrow and exits with an X.

While people are having a look at this I am trying to trade it manually but I am a bit limited time wise and being resident in New Zealand I sleep during the best part of both London and NY markets. If anyone could quickly code a simple EA that opens and closes on the mabband signal it would be a huge help for me to test this strategy. Hopefullly it will get legs and go further.............

Cheers
vince
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Radar
Trader

Post by Radar »

Hey Pacinvest,

I'll throw some pieces together for a single timeframe EA... It'll take a few days, though.

Have fun!
Radar =8^)
StackManV2
pacinvest
Trader

Post by pacinvest »

Awesome Radar much appreciated
Radar
Trader

Post by Radar »

Hey Pacinvest,

This looks like it's gonna be fun...
The indicator buffers for the arrows (Values 3 and 4 in the Data Window), don't return a price value, so I'm going to have to work out how to write the indicator into the EA, then test it before converting the arrow signals into trade signals.

Once that's sorted, it'll start out as an "Always in" system, taking all signals in one direction, then closing them all on an opposite signal, then I'll add the standard trade management stuff.

Have fun!
Radar =8^)
StackManV2
pacinvest
Trader

Post by pacinvest »

Oh dear I was hoping it would be simple to call the mabbands signal. Would be good to have only trade long, only trade short and to turn close trade on and off.

Thanks again Radar hope it doesn't end up being to mysterious, it must be counting pips outside its bands??
good luck
cheers
vince
Radar
Trader

Post by Radar »

Hey Vince,

I've just about worked out how to get the arrow signals... Just writing the draw routine now... I'll PM a copy once it's at that point, so we can both eyeball it in action with the indicator on an M5 chart at the same time to make sure they hit the same spots... We can leave it on overnight, and see what London & New York were up to whilst we were sawing wood (snoring).

I'm in Deadelaide, South Oz, so, unless I have a midnight moggy session, (like I did last night), I sleep through the NY session.

Have fun!
Radar =8^)
StackManV2
pacinvest
Trader

Post by pacinvest »

Excellent Radar I will check back here and we'll give it a test drive as you say. I am in Northland, NZ so same problem with upside down market hours...................
cheers
vince
Radar
Trader

Post by Radar »

Hey Vince,

Just working on the cleanup routine now (deleting the arrows when removing the EA).

I had to clean that indicator code up a bit, and found a dirty trick... It calculates whether an arrow should be drawn for one bar, but then draws it one bar to the left, so it looks (in the history) like it gives earlier signals than it actually does... Unless you're sitting there, watching it like a hawk, you wouldn't notice it :(

Almost sack-time here... Been up all night again.

Have fun!
Radar =8^)

(edit...) Attached the cleaned up indicator.
StackManV2

Return to “Ideas for Possible Automation”