SHF code repositories

biobier
Trader

SHF code repositories

Post by biobier »

Hej guys,

with all this fantastic code available here I found it sometimes not fully visible what have been the changes compared to a new version (as last one got mostly overwritten in 1st post of the individual threads).

I'm coming from the software development industry (not MQL) and there is no way around a code management system including version control when coding in a team or even alone on a bigger project.

So I think it would be a big benefit for the community to have a private repository to place source code in and mange it.
  • - It would would help to refer to commit numbers when posting an updated EA/indi/etc so those who care can check changes.
    - Let others review new changes
    - More easy to work together and archive better code
    - Check back old code to revert maybe
    - See who did changes
    - etc
One possible platform could be GitLab as it allows free hosting of private repositories. It is also possible to self host it but that would increase admin efforts.

What I am not sure of is the account management, as there will not be an easy way to connect it to the forum accounts.

Just something to think about and discuss.

Cheers!
Must-reads for FOREX NOOBS as me:
Help for Newbies.
Information For Beginners
tomele
Administrator

SHF code repositories

Post by tomele »

I second the basic idea. René and I collaborated very successful on FXTestify through GitHub using different clients and approaches.

But your idea will only work if you come up with a very, very simple solution. No one here will accept having to learn handling a GitHub client and all that stuff. If it isn't as easy as uploading a new version to a post, it will fail.

We are not an efficiency-driven company here. We are a bunch of freaks trying to help others.

Your turn.

Thomas
Happy pippin, Thomas :-BD

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
(Mark Twain)

Keep the coder going: Donate
renexxxx
Trader

SHF code repositories

Post by renexxxx »

biobier » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:01 am wrote: So I think it would be a big benefit for the community to have a private repository to place source code in and mange it.
In addition to what Thomas already mentioned (that it will need to be extremely simple to use), I want to add that version control with tools like GitHub and GitLab is typically for collaboration of software development teams of several people. At SHF there are only a handful of developers (Steve, Thomas, Tommaso, Bruster, ...) each working single handedly on their own code and posting the final version to post 1 of its dedicated thread. The other SHF members are consumers of that final version who generally don't have the interest to check for differences or rollback to a previous version (as usually the latest version is the best version). And even if they did, they can do so with tools like WinMerge and keep their own version history locally.

So, in short, I think that version control for the release of code at SHF is over-the-top.
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

SHF code repositories

Post by SteveHopwood »

renexxxx » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:31 pm wrote: In addition to what Thomas already mentioned (that it will need to be extremely simple to use), I want to add that version control with tools like GitHub and GitLab is typically for collaboration of software development teams of several people. At SHF there are only a handful of developers (Steve, Thomas, Tommaso, Bruster, ...) each working single handedly on their own code and posting the final version to post 1 of its dedicated thread. The other SHF members are consumers of that final version who generally don't have the interest to check for differences or rollback to a previous version (as usually the latest version is the best version). And even if they did, they can do so with tools like WinMerge and keep their own version history locally.

So, in short, I think that version control for the release of code at SHF is over-the-top.
True. Plus, I would ignore it and nothing happens here without my (at least) tacit approval. Thanks for the thought though, biobier. :clap: :clap: :clap:

:xm: :rocket:
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
JonCodesBad
Trader

SHF code repositories

Post by JonCodesBad »

tomele » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:34 pm wrote:We are a bunch of freaks trying to help others.

Your turn.

Thomas
You crack me up. :lol: :smile: :lol:

If it wasn't true it wouldn't be funny. :hi:
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

SHF code repositories

Post by SteveHopwood »

JonCodesBad » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:21 pm wrote:
tomele » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:34 pm wrote:We are a bunch of freaks trying to help others.

Your turn.

Thomas
You crack me up. :lol: :smile: :lol:

If it wasn't true it wouldn't be funny. :hi:
This is the second time tonight he has cracked me up. We were despairing about Brexit and it led to this exchange (you will not find this funny unless you know that our UK Parliament fled the House of Commons today when the roof started to leak):
tomele wrote:
SteveHopwood wrote:Couldn't put me to sleep and wake me up in mid 2021 could you?
Shouldn't I better put you to sleep until Westminster's roof is fixed? The Polish slaters sadly have already left, so let's say 2119?

Just kiddin, 2039 should be fair enough.

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Cheers
Thomas

:xm: :rocket:
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
biobier
Trader

SHF code repositories

Post by biobier »

Thanks for your comments. I agree it would need to be really simple and quick to handle to get acceptance here. That usually does not apply to GitHub and common platforms. I've tested a bit and found that GitLab web portal has on online tool (WebIDE) that could server that. However that currently has an issue with mql files to be recognized as text.

Overall I still think this could be beneficial. Maybe it would attract more coders or to let some advanced consumers to get coders ;) Even for the few coders around here this could be a blessing (in case no local code versioning is used already). I'll keep checking that and will get back when I have a complete solution suggestion. After that you/we can still decline that idea.
Must-reads for FOREX NOOBS as me:
Help for Newbies.
Information For Beginners

Return to “Coders Hangout”