I found out why fractal indicator must have a shift >=2

chiefkeef
Trader

Post by chiefkeef »

I got confused why mql4, required the fractal indicator to have a minimum shift of two. I then realised, the way the indicator works, is that to get a final value, it has to have a lower low or a higher high (depending on if it is upper or lower mode). This means to get a final value it has to wait to see what the result of the next bar is.

This confused me for a bit, and I couldn't find any help online, so I'm putting this out there to help any future traders. Hello btw.
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Post by SteveHopwood »

FYI, in Empty4 a fractal is formed on the middle of 5 candles.

A high fractal will have closed higher than the preceding and succeeding two. It marks a swing high.

A low fractal will have closed lower than the preceding and succeeding two. It marks a swing low.

In comparison, ZigZag forms on the middle of 3 candles.

:xm: :rocket:
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
chiefkeef
Trader

Post by chiefkeef »

SteveHopwood » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:41 am wrote:FYI, in Empty4 a fractal is formed on the middle of 5 candles.

A high fractal will have closed higher than the preceding and succeeding two. It marks a swing high.

A low fractal will have closed lower than the preceding and succeeding two. It marks a swing low.

In comparison, ZigZag forms on the middle of 3 candles.

OHHHHHH

I think this has something to do with my code not working, thanks.
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Post by SteveHopwood »

This is driving me nuts.

I have coded Fractal detection hundreds of times. I wanted to post the code here. Yet somehow it all appears to have disappeared. :arrrg: :arrrg: :arrrg: :arrrg: :arrrg: :arrrg: :arrrg: :arrrg:

Your best interests are served by working this stuff out for yourself. Fact is though, I love it when I see someone getting their hands dirty by grovelling under the hood of Empty4.

Sing out if you get hopelessly stuck and I will help you out. It could help someone else out as well.

Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.

Return to “Coders Hangout”