Zig-Zag Peaky

lemur6666
Trader

Zig-Zag Peaky

Post by lemur6666 »

Hello Members,

Back in 2018 when I was reading Steve's Peaky On Steroids User Guide Peaky it felt awkward to zoom out the chart to allow Peak HILO indi to do its magic. What was also a challenging was the fact that if had known of of Peaky HILO indi back in 2006, Peak Lo would had been different that it was in 2017. take a look at GBPUSD weekly
GBPUSDWeekly.png
I recall myself going through EURUSD weekly chart later on to break it into parts I could apply Peak HILO to those parts - in other words to apply Peak HILO to limited number of bars... but I failed.

But two weeks ago I came across an 'zig-zag-pointer-v2-indicator' by Dr. Richard Ganes. What was fresh about it, is the fact his indicator kept past occurrences of Z-Z Arrows. One would call it repainting trace. You can google for it and try the original indi to see what I saw.

That triggered my synaptic activity so I got back to the idea inspired by Peaky. I played with ZigZag on different time frames.

General conlusions are as follows. Market moves in Swings that are laid out by ZigZag, and markets will tend to ratrace Swings if they are of certain signifficance. Swings are being retraced by as far as 83,3% (or more) i.e. being exact 1/6 shy of the whole previous move.

But what makes an wave signifficant. I assumed Fibonnaci of 61,8% of the previous move in opposite direction to make Swing signifficant.

Entry rule can be formulated as follow: When the price is reaching 83,3% of previous Swing it is time to get in contra trend assuming current Swing will be also retraced to at least 61,8% or more. So you don't have to wait for for the peaks of zoomed out chart, but explore opportunities the follow from Zig-Zag and 61,8% retracement. Take a look at EURGBP Weekly chart to grasp what I am trying to say.
EURGBPWeekly.png
Before I get any further with that. Lets stop for a moment. If I am breaking a door that has already been opened (and closed), do let me know.

Cheers,Max
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lemur6666
Trader

Zig-Zag Peaky

Post by lemur6666 »

Reserved
lemur6666
Trader

Zig-Zag Peaky

Post by lemur6666 »

Reserved
lemur6666
Trader

Zig-Zag Peaky

Post by lemur6666 »

I wanted to post this in January. Unfortunately I didn't get far with it on lower TF's. And lost interest. I kinda feel somebody might be interested.

Enclosed please find two indicators. First one "ZIGZAG_RG_MOD_SHF" is standard Metaquotes ZigZag version modified by Dr. Richard Ganes, with some slight medifications from my side. I added two buffers that keep historical Zig Zag turning points until they overwritten by new values. It is needed for the second Indi to work.

Standard setting for ZIGZAG_RG_MOD_SHF are ExtDepth=20,ExtDeviation=1,ExtBackstep=1. If you would like to know what the parameters mean please go to https://forextraininggroup.com/zig-zag- ... ket-noise/.
(Fact is I wanted to make it ideal.Initial purpose of current with settings of ExtDepth=20,ExtDeviation=1,ExtBackstep=1 settings was that we want as many Zig-Zag swings as possible to feed second indicator. My initial assumption was, that market makes sense and if we had full history , after x bars, ZIg -Zag , as it creates longer ZIG-ZAG swings. In other words it was coded in the first place in such way it will check ALL the swings feeded by ZIZGZAG_RG_MOD_SHF (ZIG ZAG FEED - ZZF). Unfortunately I was delusional - Empty4 was short on CPu resources.)

I already narrowed EXTDepth to 20, as I could have used ExtDepth set at 1 allowing it to calculate any possible swing but the amount of swings to be processed will be 5 times higher for the second indicator.
Deviation and Backstep are at 1 to address Outside Bar problem ( a problem of swings caused by sudden volatility left out by ZigZag indi - thanks Ben(pivotter)). )

The second indicator is programmed from scratch by myself and it's called "ZIGZAG_MARKER". It will filter data provided by ZIGZAG_RG_MOD_SHF by checking weather they are significant enough. It is crazy iteration bot that goes Swing by Swing and checks if next Swing is significant enough. Erases it if necessary , goes back and step. In other words one step forward than two steps back.
It is beta version and it will expire on Mar 31 2020. I am not really planing to address bugs and make amendments but Maybe some braniac at SHF will convince me to give it one more shot.

There are 5 parameters in ZIGZAG_MARKER, three of them passed on to ZZF - ExtDepth=20,ExtDeviation=1,ExtBackstep=1

RetracementSignifficance=61.8;
TargetRetracement=83.3;
ExtDepth=50;
ExtDeviation=12;
ExtBackstep=12;
Prev_Swing_Expiry_Bars_n=500;

Now if you you tell ZZF via ZZMARKER to feed even smallest deviation ZZF will obediently do it. The amount of workload your CPU will challenge on 3000 bars can freeze your Empty4.

RetracementSignifficance is the % retracement of previous swing the confirms that current swing is valid. If High/Low reaches that point there is Swing in process
of painting - we do not know how far it will get before process of forming opposite swing starts. TargetRetracement is a level at which indicator will generate arrow (white)
High/Low breaches 83,3% (1-1/6) retracement - that will constitute contra swing trade signal.

(I was planning to implement PEAKY logic - that is, breach of 83,3% is not a trading signal, but return back below 83,3% constitutes a signal. But I got tired of this project that I simply abandoned it as soon as I lost any interest. )

Prev_Swing_Expiry_Bars_n parameter tells the ZIGZAG_MARKER when to stop painting arrows - currently after 500 bars.

I recommend using H4 TF or higher. GBPCAD on H4 is good example to grasp the idea if you help yourself by applying FibRet tool to previous swings.

For those who are crazy enough and harness it to TDesk via Universal Signals Drone, please refer to Buffers 1 & 2 for long/short respectively not being equal EMPTY_VALUE. You have been warned thou about CPU load. Do it ONLY on separate Profile and make sure you have it saved. You feed low values in ExtDepth,ExtDeviation,ExtBackstep - Chances are EMPTY4 will crash or you will not make it before next TDesk USD reading loop.

Finally , a disclaimer - Please notice that signals generated by this indicator do not constitute investment recommendations or advice. You use it at your own risk.

Max
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lemur6666 on Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
tomele
Administrator

Zig-Zag Peaky

Post by tomele »

Hi Max.

First, I am wondering why you publish only the compiled version if you have lost interest in the project. If we could see the source code, some coder could probably find interest and help with the performance problems.

Second, Dr. Gaines has published his indicator as source code. As long as your modifications aren't of extraordinary creative depth, most coders would anyway expect you to publish the modified source code out of ethical reasons.

My two cents.

Cheers
Happy pippin, Thomas :-BD

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
(Mark Twain)

Keep the coder going: Donate
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Zig-Zag Peaky

Post by SteveHopwood »

Hi Max

I also ask you to publish source code - the is one of the central tenets of SHF.

There are exceptions to this rule. HGI and TDesk are prime examples. The reason being that this software is invaluable and it will only be days before some shyster(s) are selling it on Ebay as 'their own work'. MPTM goes for about $3 on Ebay, I gather.

Which is fine for most of us as we don't care. Equally, many of us are using open source code freely distributed in various forms here. 'My' EA's for example, contain thousands of lines of code provided freely by other coders. It would be wrong for me to claim it as my own.

Such code is usually not complex and easily replicable by coders with a half way decent level of coding skill - me for example. It is not fair that the level of expertise that went into the likes of HGI and TDesk should be hijacked by the shysters, which is why only .ex4 files with an expiration date of these programs are released.

No criticism whatsoever of you implied here. I am merely explaining.

:xm: :rocket:
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
lemur6666
Trader

Zig-Zag Peaky

Post by lemur6666 »

Steve & Thomas,

I am adding source code of both indicators to post 2.

I really wanted to combine them in one, however 8 buffers is the limit for TDesk's USD. Having 6 in ZZF (with 2 to be scrapped) 7 in ZZMarker (with 2 to be scrapped) I got left with 4+5 = 9 buffers . :arrrg:

Regards,
Max
tomele
Administrator

Zig-Zag Peaky

Post by tomele »

Hi Max.

Sounds like a solvable problem.

Cheers
Happy pippin, Thomas :-BD

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
(Mark Twain)

Keep the coder going: Donate
lemur6666
Trader

Zig-Zag Peaky

Post by lemur6666 »

It's solvable like suspension problem in a water fueled car. It rides - so what - it needs more water that it can carry to get its paddle-wheel :) going. :arrrg:

However in It's current state form you can feed ZZMARKER with any Min/Max Indi you like - like Super-Signals for example.

Anyways - It is all yours now. :uff:

Return to “Manual trading systems”