Let's work though our limiting beliefs together

jago25
Trader

Post by jago25 »

I want to share some limiting beliefs I have about the trading and markets and some of my attempts to fix them. Beliefs have an emotional component to them. If we can drill down into these emotional causes like a therapist, then we're well on the way to fixing them.

I think it's possible to automate this process in the same way a therapist does. Maybe we can help each other.

Here we go:

1) "Making money in the markets is hard these days. It's a rigged system."

My self talk response:
Starting off with logic: While most retail traders don't make money but most don't do any psychological work. I am. Most use market maker brokers. Most have their position sizing fully open to psychological error.

Self introspection. This thought process threw up a new thought:
"Why am I so arrogant to believe that I'm better than all these people?" New limiting beliefs to investigate: "Being arrogant is bad." "I'm not worthy to be wealthy." "I'm not good enough for this." "Good people don't make money in markets."

New emotions identified:
Fear. I am fearful of being separated from the poor masses. Fear of loneliness.
Use EFT tapping or some other method to fix this.

New belief found:
2) "Good people don't make money in markets."

Starting off with logic: The religous are better at getting wealthier than those around them. Think cause and effect - more people are religious so by definition you're more likely to get wealthier because you're at the bottom. Isn't it a natural reposnse to being poor? Isn't prayer a form of psychological coaching even if there's an element of mind control?

So, what comes next? What do you think your sticking points are?
JonCodesBad
Trader

Post by JonCodesBad »

jago25 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:08 pm wrote: 1) "Making money in the markets is hard these days. It's a rigged system."
Tosh... It's always been rigged.
You never hear of winning traders moaning about rigged markets.
jago25 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:08 pm wrote: 2) "Good people don't make money in markets."
Tosh... Utter tosh!
Do you know all the poeple who make money trading?

An obvious question pops to mind... What motivates you to trade? If they're not bad motives, all of your psychological hang-ups should dissipate.
tomele
Administrator

Post by tomele »

jago25 » 20 Nov 2019, 14:08 wrote:The religous are better at getting wealthier than those around them.
Really? Do you have any evidence for this statement? Which religion? I always thought the ruthless are best at getting wealthy, which is somewhat opposed to religious. But what do I know. I don't even understand the purpose of your post.

Cheers
Happy pippin, Thomas :-BD

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
(Mark Twain)

Keep the coder going: Donate
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Post by SteveHopwood »

jago25 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:08 pm wrote:I want to share some limiting beliefs I have about the trading and markets and some of my attempts to fix them. Beliefs have an emotional component to them. If we can drill down into these emotional causes like a therapist, then we're well on the way to fixing them.

I think it's possible to automate this process in the same way a therapist does. Maybe we can help each other.

Here we go:

1) "Making money in the markets is hard these days. It's a rigged system."

My self talk response:
Starting off with logic: While most retail traders don't make money but most don't do any psychological work. I am. Most use market maker brokers. Most have their position sizing fully open to psychological error.

Self introspection. This thought process threw up a new thought:
"Why am I so arrogant to believe that I'm better than all these people?" New limiting beliefs to investigate: "Being arrogant is bad." "I'm not worthy to be wealthy." "I'm not good enough for this." "Good people don't make money in markets."

New emotions identified:
Fear. I am fearful of being separated from the poor masses. Fear of loneliness.
Use EFT tapping or some other method to fix this.

New belief found:
2) "Good people don't make money in markets."

Starting off with logic: The religous are better at getting wealthier than those around them. Think cause and effect - more people are religious so by definition you're more likely to get wealthier because you're at the bottom. Isn't it a natural reposnse to being poor? Isn't prayer a form of psychological coaching even if there's an element of mind control?

So, what comes next? What do you think your sticking points are?
I was going to ignore this bollocks and assumed that others would do likewise but clearly not.

You appear to be intent on some sort of psychobabble introspective self-examination. I seem to recall several similar posts in threads that I have since deleted.

Up to you whether you continue down this route or not but here is a reality for you. The rest of us do not care about your angst. There will come a time when either I or one of my other mods will be irritated by your nonsense and you will find yourself banned.

What you do from here is your choice. For now. Do not expect it to remain your choice for long if you continue down your current path.

Teensy hint to any member here. Learn to spell. Or, if your spelling is as bad as mine, learn to take notice of the squiggly red line when it appears. Have a look at the posters attempt to spell, "religious" and, "response". It is best not to make such basic mistakes if you want to be taken seriously.

:xm: :rocket:
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.

Return to “Trading Psychology & Money Management”