Windows 10 and the Empty4 platform

DigitalCrypto
Trader

Post by DigitalCrypto »

I don't mean to be a party crasher but welcome to the party gents. Linux is indeed a superior OS but not for trading. And Wine isn't without its bugs.

My experience with Wine is a nasty memory leak. This really isn't a problem if you trade manually but for an EA left running it will consume more and more RAM until it crashes. It matters not the version as I've tried them all from 1.5 to 1.9. I think at one point Wine was using over 500MB just for one terminal. Now granted if you kill the terminal it releases the ram and you can start over again but it's a pain in the ass to do that 2x or more each day.

Another option is to run Windows XP/7 in a virtualbox for your EA. Seems counter intuitive but it does work and since you are NAT'ed on the virtualbox you shouldn't have too many issues with virii etc since it should only be used to run an Empty4 terminal. Just throw on the latest .NET 4.5 and you're off to the races.

Lastly when it comes to editing your EAs, Linux has very nice editors (but) you won't be able to edit your EA inside a virtual machine. What I did was create a shared folder for the VMs in my home directory and then access the EA from there for editing and reload it manually on the VM.

The only problem I have with Linux is that it's difficult to be solidly productive, at least for me. I get enamored by all of the toys, apps and widgets that I often find myself distracted playing with the weather thingy when I should be focused on getting my EAs fixed.

Now back to my problem at hand....why in the hell does this EA stop processing loops on pairs after a couple hours? The search continues....
lamdog330
Trader

Post by lamdog330 »

I've been running the new Slopey Family EA for few days but notice a freeze on my Empty4 Prime Global.

I have four Empty4 opened and SlopeyCross would freeze. I thought it would run on background but it seems to be non responsive. I know because when I close and open it again all the numbers would be different and it didn't close at Basket $30 equity. It would run for a while and then freeze again even if I didn't minimize it.

What do you guys suggest? Is there some optimization on Windows 10 or Empty4 that I can set so it doesn't happen? I am using a Surface Pro 3 i5 8GB ram. The rest of the computer is fast, it's just Empty4.
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Post by SteveHopwood »

lamdog330 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:57 pm wrote:I've been running the new Slopey Family EA for few days but notice a freeze on my Empty4 Prime Global.

I have four Empty4 opened and SlopeyCross would freeze. I thought it would run on background but it seems to be non responsive. I know because when I close and open it again all the numbers would be different and it didn't close at Basket $30 equity. It would run for a while and then freeze again even if I didn't minimize it.

What do you guys suggest? Is there some optimization on Windows 10 or Empty4 that I can set so it doesn't happen? I am using a Surface Pro 3 i5 8GB ram. The rest of the computer is fast, it's just Empty4.
My machine is only just over a year old. It has 8 GB ram and lots of powerand will run umpteen programs all at the same time; Windows 10.

It hates CtapT4 and starts to play up once I have >3 crapforms running on it - and two of them are doing nothing other than showing me what is going on in my live trading via VPS. I have to reduce the platforms to 2 if there is a major news event coming up, or something happens that sparks a spike; > 2 crapforms running and they all freeze. I have not found a solution.

That is the principal reason I got Eaymon to set me up with his Power VPS. It runs crapforms for fun and is worth every penny. It runs Windows 7 and I guess that a lot of the crapform's development took place using it. I too would be interested in any ideas that anyone has.

:xm:
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
DigitalCrypto
Trader

Post by DigitalCrypto »

It's not just Windows. I am seeing heavy CPU usages on unix and linux servers too. It doesn't matter if I set "/affinity 2" or whatever. There used to be a time when a program was good at doing one thing. Now they just make kitchen sinks. I noticed the slow down after build 600 when they started pimping their store and signal services inside the terminal. Since then it's only getting worse.

@Steve I need to look into that VPS thingy. Do you know if they offer it across the pond?
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Post by SteveHopwood »

DigitalCrypto » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:41 am wrote:It's not just Windows. I am seeing heavy CPU usages on unix and linux servers too. It doesn't matter if I set "/affinity 2" or whatever. There used to be a time when a program was good at doing one thing. Now they just make kitchen sinks. I noticed the slow down after build 600 when they started pimping their store and signal services inside the terminal. Since then it's only getting worse.

@Steve I need to look into that VPS thingy. Do you know if they offer it across the pond?
The first post in Eaymon's thread at http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... 103&t=5282 suggests that they do, but go to the thread and send him a PM. I am up to 7 demos now and there is still plenty of room.

Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
DigitalCrypto
Trader

Post by DigitalCrypto »

Thank you Steve,

Sounds like great servers!

David
tomele
Administrator

Post by tomele »

SteveHopwood » 05 Feb 2018, 21:36 wrote: My machine is only just over a year old. It has 8 GB ram and lots of powerand will run umpteen programs all at the same time; Windows 10.

It hates CtapT4 and starts to play up once I have >3 crapforms running on it - and two of them are doing nothing other than showing me what is going on in my live trading via VPS. I have to reduce the platforms to 2 if there is a major news event coming up, or something happens that sparks a spike; > 2 crapforms running and they all freeze. I have not found a solution.

That is the principal reason I got Eaymon to set me up with his Power VPS. It runs crapforms for fun and is worth every penny. It runs Windows 7 and I guess that a lot of the crapform's development took place using it. I too would be interested in any ideas that anyone has.

There seems to be a general problem with (single-thread) Empty4, Crapdows 10 and Intel Core-i5/i7 processors. Crapdows doesnt distinguish between physical and logical cores on these cpus. It sees 8 equally logical cores and tries to balance the load by bouncing tasks around between them. The affinity setting doesnt result in distributing the processes to physical cores. Its a combination that causes many unnecessary cache flushes and pipeline stalls when the workload is permanently switched from one core to another. And that even may be the same physical core.

Apparently there is no solution to this problem yet. Maybe Crapdows will come up with one sometimes. Traders building new machines for Empty4 might avoid the above combination for now. Other cpus seem to work much better in this aspect.

Sometimes in a better future the problem will vanish. We all will be happy users of (multi-thread) MT5. And we will - out of pure admiration - cease from giving Metaquotes derogatory names. Not.

:smile:

Cheers
Happy pippin, Thomas :-BD

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
(Mark Twain)

Keep the coder going: Donate

Return to “Know your MT4 platform”