Windows 10 and the Empty4 platform

Aussiedoc
Trader

Post by Aussiedoc »

Every time I start my computers I get an onscreen flag recommending that I upgrade to Windows 10.

Prior to Christmas I started to do so... Only to discover that, at that stage, it was incompatible with the current Empty4 platform... So, I haven't!

We are still 3 months out from the alleged close date for free upgrades to W10 and I am still none the wiser.

Does anyone have an update on the situation or advice as to where I can source reliable information re this??

Thanks!
If you can never exceed your own expectations - why expect second-best?
The_Snowman
Trader

Post by The_Snowman »

No problem here, new build computer with Windows 10 from the get go.

Might be different if doing upgrade but you can always roll back I suppose, that's a pain I know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Post by SteveHopwood »

Aussiedoc » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:59 pm wrote:Every time I start my computers I get an onscreen flag recommending that I upgrade to Windows 10.

Prior to Christmas I started to do so... Only to discover that, at that stage, it was incompatible with the current Empty4 platform... So, I haven't!

We are still 3 months out from the alleged close date for free upgrades to W10 and I am still none the wiser.

Does anyone have an update on the situation or advice as to where I can source reliable information re this??

Thanks!
I had exactly the same problem and ranted about it at http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... =10&t=4454

On my new computer, Windows 10 is several hundred cuts above any previous edition. Give it a go. As Snowman said, rollback is easy should your crapforms fail to run. At least, it was when I upgraded. How much do you trust the Morons at Microsoft? :arrrg:

:xm:
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
Aussiedoc
Trader

Post by Aussiedoc »

How much do you trust the Morons at Microsoft? :arrrg: :xm:
NOT!!!
drunka
Trader

Post by drunka »

Aussiedoc » 27 Mar 2016, 15:59 wrote:Every time I start my computers I get an onscreen flag recommending that I upgrade to Windows 10.

Thanks!
Before you upgrade make an image with http://clonezilla.org/ (open source). If something goes wrong in the process you can restore it.
Upgrade to Win10.
Afterwards you can make a fresh install of Win10.

Running Empty4 under wine in a linux distro can be an option too.
heart1010
Trader

Post by heart1010 »

drunka » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:30 pm wrote:Running Empty4 under wine in a linux distro can be an option too.
I've tried to install a GP Demo on my linux pc (Debian 8.3, wine1.8x) but when the install wizzard starts I get a proxy window.

I don't use any proxy and also haven't any virus or firewall programm running on that linux pc.
So the installer can't connect to the web to fetch the install data :|

I asked Jeremy but only got this:
Hi Jagg,

The Empty4 installer is designed for Windows, I’m not too sure about linux/Wine.

I don’t think we can provide technical support for this – a quick google search found the following:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... ngId=89960

Regards,
Jeremy
Aussiedoc
Trader

Post by Aussiedoc »

Thanks everyone for the advice! :good: :good:

Fingers crossed!
Aussiedoc
Trader

Post by Aussiedoc »

I was in the process of converting my laptop to Linux Ubuntu today when my daughter's IT guru boyfriend asked why the change away from W7!

I explained that, right now, the current Empty4 trading platform we use is incompatible with Windows 10 - and because no-one really knows when a W10 compliant update will appear, I had decided to change my laptop (which goes with me everywhere) to Linux so that I could continue trading uninterrupted.

He pointed out that I was getting fussed for no reason and was missing out on the opportunity to get W10 for free until July 29 this year.

It seems that I can update to W10 - and then revert back to W7 until whenever in the future that a W10 compliant version of the Empty4 platform appears… And then upgrade back to W10 again for free because all the necessary W10 authorisation architecture will have already been installed during the upgrade - even though I have gone back to running W7.

I read through Steve's links re security etc but figured that, if I really got paranoid in my old age, I could always go ahead and load Ubuntu & Wine.

Hope that is of some assistance.
Cheers
Anima999
Trader

Post by Anima999 »

I'm not sure why you're having issues with W10 and Empty4.
I upgraded to W10 from W7 (using free upgrade offer) the week it was released and was able to run Empty4 straight away.
I use an i5 Samsung laptop that I bought in Feb 14.
drunka
Trader

Post by drunka »

heart1010 » 04 Apr 2016, 19:07 wrote: I've tried to install a GP Demo on my linux pc (Debian 8.3, wine1.8x) but when the install wizzard starts I get a proxy window.

I don't use any proxy and also haven't any virus or firewall programm running on that linux pc.
So the installer can't connect to the web to fetch the install data :|

I asked Jeremy but only got this:
Hi,

open a terminal and install winetricks: sudo apt-get install winetricks
afterwards install winhttp: winetricks winhttp

had the same problem and found the solution on winehq.
If it's not working and you have access to a Windows PC you can install it there and copy the Empty4 folder. If it isn't an portable installation on windows and you want the indicator folder etc. you also have to copy them from the right location. On Linux itself Empty4 will treat it like portable installation anyway.

Cheers

Edit: also make sure to copy a working wingding font to /usr/share/wine/fonts/wingding.ttf else some symbols will be corrupt. Anyway Empty4 is working pretty smooth on my old Notebook.

Return to “Know your MT4 platform”