VPS CPU usage at 100%, system bogged down to snail's pace.

MurphyMan
Trader

Post by MurphyMan »

Running Slopeky Peaky Bob on a VPS, only one instance of Empty4 running. Verified that when Empty4 is closed, CPU usage drops to 5% or so. Only have six charts open, the EA, Trade Report and four pairs. The VPS help desk said to check EA and Empty4 terminal. I tried changing Tools>Options>Charts>Max bars in history set to 5000 and Max bars in chart set to 5000, but made no difference. Restarted Empty4 a couple of times, but no joy.

Any ideas? :arrrg:
Radar
Trader

Post by Radar »

Hey MurphyMan,

Save your set files for both SPB, and TR, then remove TR, and check the CPU usage.
If CPU usage is still high, wait 'til you have no trades or pendings on the server, then remove SPB.
If usage is still high, save your set files, and uninstall/reinstall empty4.
Disable trading, then put SPB on a chart with your current set file, (we don't want any trades to be sent, just in case...)
If usage goes too high when you put SPB on, re-download and recompile, (again with trading disabled).
If all's good, add TR with your current set file, and check usage again (it shouldn't increase usage by much, if any, as it will have nothing to report).
If usage jumps, re-download and recompile TR, and try again.
If all's good after that, re-enable trading, and monitor usage to see how much it increases once you have a few trades open.
If usage goes too high again, see if there's an option in TR to adjust the frequency of reports (I haven't looked at it to know either way)... If it does, have it update once every minute, (or longer) and check usage again.

Have fun!
Radar =8^)
Check out my new, (well, old now), manual trade & automatic scale-in manager,
StackManV2
MurphyMan
Trader

Post by MurphyMan »

These tips are all a very good place to start. BTW - this is my live account. I haven't uninstalled/reinstalled "empty4" quite yet, I will do that now. With those few charts I had open, CPU usage was a pretty solid 100%. I closed everything except the chart SPB is running on and now it's bouncing between 80 & 100%, so that's a little better.

Interesting observation, when I look at my demo accounts, with no other instances of Empty4 open, the CPU usage seems to run from 10 to 24%. It just seems to be my live account that is acting up. My live account is also linked to Myfxbook and the Metaquotes android app, if that means anything.

One question. I have three instances of Empty4 installed on the VPS, two demo and my live account. Do you think there would be any interference between them? This seemed to start happening when I installed the second demo.
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Post by SteveHopwood »

See if there is anything to help at http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... 19#p140819, Sam. I found all these thingies help Eaymon's vps to run quicker as well.

:xm: :rocket:
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
MurphyMan
Trader

Post by MurphyMan »

SteveHopwood » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:42 am wrote:See if there is anything to help at http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... 19#p140819, Sam. I found all these thingies help Eaymon's vps to run quicker as well.

Very good Steve, thanks.
MurphyMan
Trader

Post by MurphyMan »

All of these tips put together reduced my CPU usage. At this moment it seems to be averaging 60%, with spikes. Lot's better.

Thanks all!

:jump:
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Post by SteveHopwood »

I am an FXVPS Power user at just shy of $40 a month.

I currently have 7 demo "empty4" (love that description) instances running. Without anything remotely resembling a cpu usage problem.

You might consider reviewing your current service provider.

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

Radar
Trader

Post by Radar »

Hey MurphyMan,

Go through the same process of elimination with your demo's to see if you have a corrupt download.
Also, see if there's an option with the Myfxbook EA to adjust the reporting frequency, and if it does, have it report only once per day.

Have fun!
Radar =8^)
Check out my new, (well, old now), manual trade & automatic scale-in manager,
StackManV2
zafh
Trader

Post by zafh »

SteveHopwood » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:07 pm wrote:I am an FXVPS Power user at just shy of $40 a month.

I currently have 7 demo "empty4" (love that description) instances running. Without anything remotely resembling a cpu usage problem.

You might consider reviewing your current service provider.

I have used BeaksFX, another cheap provider and FXVPS.
FXVPS leaves the others in the dust.
I think the EA's here are a lot more complex than most and drain more resource, so you need a super duper machine if you are going to be running multiple things.
SteveHopwood
Owner

Post by SteveHopwood »

zafh » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:01 am wrote:
I have used BeaksFX, another cheap provider and FXVPS.
FXVPS leaves the others in the dust.
I think the EA's here are a lot more complex than most and drain more resource, so you need a super duper machine if you are going to be running multiple things.
Makes sense to me. The latest EA's do have the occasional calculation to make from time to time.

Return to “Know your MT4 platform”