Windows 10 Oct-18 Update causes saved Empty4 passwords

luke
Trader

Post by luke »

Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) causes saved Empty4 passwords to become invalid

A Win 10 Otober 2018 update causes issues. MetaQuotes posted about the issue on the mql5.com forum.

MetaQuotes Software Corp. 2018.10.05 10:36
On October 02, Microsoft officially released a major update of their operating system, Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809). This update affects configurations and encryption keys similar to the installation of a new Windows operating system.

In order to protect traders' information, the Empty4 platform binds all data to the operating system and hardware of the computer, on which it is installed. This protection method ensures that even if platform files are stolen, hackers will not be able to connect to traders' accounts or use products purchased from the Market.

Unfortunately, after the installation of Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809), all trading account passwords stored on your computer will become invalid. We highly recommend that you prepare for this release and save your passwords in a safe place, in order to be able to connect to your accounts after the update.

Also, due to the change of encryption keys, applications purchased from the Market will lose one activation, because all products are bound to the operating system. We have provided an additional activation for all products purchased from the Market regardless of the operating system, just like we provided activations after the previous release of Windows 10 April 2018 Update. Thus, Empty4 Market users will not lose product activations after the installation of Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809).

Activations of demo products will also be lost, so you will need to re-download such applications from the Market.
LittleCaro
Trader

Post by LittleCaro »

Ah, a good thing to know.

I don't have enough space on my hard drive to make the windows update, the joy of ssd's.

So, save your passwords !
yosarian0

Post by yosarian0 »

best way I know to avoid this regular windows crap is to set your connection to a 'metered' connection. Windows 10 won't download and run updates on a metered connection. When you are ready to run updates - during the wknd; or 3 wks after when Microsoft fixes what it broke, you can download and run the updates you need manually.
"All right, I'll dance with you," she said, before Yosarian could even speak, "But I won't let you sleep with me ..."
lwtrade
Trader

Post by lwtrade »

Hey thanks for the warning!

I have read password managers are supposed to be good because it prevents having to use the same password in multiple places, and so you can make all your pw's complex etc...
But they do say the 'managers' password has to be 'the special'! It has to be the most talented, most interesting, and most extraordinary password in the universe! :)
Like odd sentences eg: CatPosterVideosMakeMeSOOOO:)!!!!!

LW
tomele
Administrator

Post by tomele »

lwtrade » 09 Oct 2018, 21:11 wrote:Hey thanks for the warning!

I have read password managers are supposed to be good because it prevents having to use the same password in multiple places, and so you can make all your pw's complex etc...
But they do say the 'managers' password has to be 'the special'! It has to be the most talented, most interesting, and most extraordinary password in the universe! :)
Like odd sentences eg: CatPosterVideosMakeMeSOOOO:)!!!!!

LW
They usually only remember internet forms passwords, not application passwords bound to the operating system. I use Bitwarden.

Anyway, this is off-topic!

Cheers
Thomas
Happy pippin, Thomas :-BD

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
(Mark Twain)

Keep the coder going: Donate
Dabeuldi

Post by Dabeuldi »

Thanks for the warning !

It's one of the reasons (and care of private life), for why I stay with my "W7 Pro" and "FIREFOX" navigator which store perfectly my Net's PWD; and by security, I start to take some habit with "LINUX Mint" too...(with a double boot). "LINUX Mint" is able to read/modify/delete all W7(W10 too ?) files. The reverse isn't true.
Even Empty4 seems to work well on it.

there are still some small issues to find some printer drivers (when the manufacturers involved drag their feet to communicate the necessary information). But the community of volunteer programmers is very active and always ends up finding a solution.
Last edited by Dabeuldi on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
traderduke
Trader

Post by traderduke »

One other item, win 10 dropped the "Home network" function. Now you have to rebuild your network!

Can you back out of a win 10 update and then declare a metered system??
luke
Trader

Post by luke »

Microsoft have paused the update because some people experienced documents going missing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45784482
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Post by SteveHopwood »

Thanks for all this Luke. Much appreciated. :clap: :clap: :clap:

:xm: :rocket:
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
DigitalCrypto
Trader

Post by DigitalCrypto »

Metaquotes and Microsoft appear to be in direct competition of who can build the shittiest software.

Return to “Know your MT4 platform”