Griddy Wotsit

SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Griddy Wotsit

Post by SteveHopwood »

SERIOUS WARNING
  • Most Forex traders lose all their money.
  • Using the robot posted here in trading Forex does not guarantee success.
  • Trading this robot could lead to serious financial loss.
  • Trading this robot without understanding its underlying trading strategies guarantees traders will lose their money.
  • This is not a set-and-forget ea; there is no such thing and anyone who tries to claim there is, is either stupid or lying. This ea requires frequent manual intervention.
  • At best, a trading robot is only 90% as good as the manual strategy it trades. At best. At worst, it can be much less effective. If the strategy is rubbish, so is the robot.
  • To trade this robot, you have to understand:
    • How to use EA's.
MAKE SURE YOU READ THIS POST http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... 41#p111241 There was a Forex bloodbath on Jan 15th 2015 that you need to know about.

Griddy Wotsit arose from our experiments with hedging strategies for HGB'nG. He is a bit of fun and is really entertaining to watch. Whether he ever gets withing hailing distance of a live account will depend on how lethal the bad runs are, or if he can be used safely on the higher time frames.

GW is HGB'nG without waiting for a trade signal from HGI. He sends an immediate basket of buy/sell stop orders, then manages them just as does HGB'nG. I have attached "3 level" again, but it is the same as we are using with HGB'nG.

It is insanity to run more than one instance of GW per account because he can generate a lot of trades. I had him in EU M15 last week and today. When a market takes off, GW is insanely good. Today's trading:
Stupidly successful.png
Nope. Your eyes are not deceiving you. That is 2577 pips on EU M15 today.

GW's enemy is one of Bob's "leaky toilet" markets that 10.x dealt with using Recovery. The difference here is that there is no pulling up of the drawbridge as there is with Recovery. Using a 4 level Recovery, if L5 is reached then the original L1 is closed and we start again. If L2 is reached, then the first L2 trade is closed. There are never more than 4 Recovery trades open.

Compare that with this little lot:
Ridiculous.png
Here is what happened:
  • GW sent an initial grid. Two or three of the sells filled, then the market rose, triggering the buys.
  • A whole bunch of buys would fill, then close following a high semafor.
  • GW would replace the grid. Two or three of the sells would fill, then the market would rise again. Lots of buys filling and closing at the next semafor high signal.
  • Rinse and repeat, over and over again.
Never did the market ever fall far enough to allow the orphaned sells to close out at breakeven - the perfect leaky toilet market. Look closely at the pic; there are 50 sells open. :arrrg: Free margin was down to about 130% when I went to bed; I expected to be greeted by a margin call in the morning.

In the event, the market fell sufficiently to avoid a margin call and the sells closed following a low semafor signal, taking about 20% of the account with it.

GW does best with volatility and strong market movements, so I started testing him on GJ H1 today, using H4 ATR to calculate the distance between trades. Not as much fun as M15, but looking safer. We shall see.

GW also does ok in a ranging market. This is probably ideal, as the buys will close at the top of the range and the sells at the bottom.

The killer is the leaky toilet. GW will have something to offer us if we can find a way of avoiding them, or dealing with them.

Play with him folks. Let's see if this puppy has a decent tail to wag.

:xm:

Matters of general interest
Go here to download and run the script that will fill your platform's missing chart history: http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... f=15&t=254
Read this post:
http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... p?f=6&t=78 Newbie traders, read this for inspiration and warning. Those of you who have suffered losses, read it for inspiration.

Masterly summary of hedging: http://www.forexfactory.com/showthread. ... ost4977179

EA coding
I receive may requests to code EA's. Traders, if I code your EA for free, then I will share it here. If you want me to code your EA without sharing, then my fee is $100 payable into my paypal account. I explain why at http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... ?f=15&t=79, at the bottom of the post.

Useful utilities/EA's/scripts -

-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
patmontes
Trader

Griddy Wotsit

Post by patmontes »

Will put it on demo Steve...
The solution to that leaky toilet is something very elusive
Peepaws
Trader

Griddy Wotsit

Post by Peepaws »

Fun toy Steve :) going to demo it and see what happens
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Griddy Wotsit

Post by SteveHopwood »

Today has been a lot of fun. Starting with a $5,000 GP demo yesterday and trading 0.05 lots (principle: 0.01 lots per $1,000 balance) on GJ H1 :
AUDNZDH4.png
So now I am at 0.06 lots. It helped that today was the perfect ranging day - look to the right of the vertical yellow line:
The perfect ranging day.png
All I did was monitor the chart from time and close the basket when it was nicely into profit and looking as though the market might be about to change direction.

I will continue to play this way for a few days and see what happens.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

AnotherBrian

Griddy Wotsit

Post by AnotherBrian »

Steve-o -> I have a very technical question. Why Griddy Wotsit? I get the Griddy part, I'm lost with the Wotsit part.

I Googled :youknow: "Wotsit" and it returns "Wotsits is a brand of cheesy flavour corn puffs sold by Walkers." Is this your snack of choice?

Just curious :jump:

We need to fully understand an EA before we run it!! :smile:
Peepaws
Trader

Griddy Wotsit

Post by Peepaws »

AnotherBrian » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:51 pm wrote:Steve-o -> I have a very technical question. Why Griddy Wotsit? I get the Griddy part, I'm lost with the Wotsit part.

I Googled :youknow: "Wotsit" and it returns "Wotsits is a brand of cheesy flavour corn puffs sold by Walkers." Is this your snack of choice?

Just curious :jump:

We need to fully understand an EA before we run it!! :smile:
I think it's an English thing that I would not dare question!!!! :D
SteveHopwood
Owner

Griddy Wotsit

Post by SteveHopwood »

What you guys have to understand is this: no EA can possibly survive the markets unless it has a catchy name.

I could have called this ea, "A Hedged Grid Trader" and then where would it have been? Consigned to the depths of failure and despair, that is where. It might yet go there and probably will, but no need to sink it at the start with a rubbish name.

Why do you think I called HGB'nG "Holy Graily Bob and Grid" instead of, "An Autotrader That Combines The Strength of HGI With The Power of Grid Trading"? And then later renamed it, "An Autotrader That Combines the Strength of HGI With The Power of Grid Trading and Optional Hedging"?

How pissed off do you think I would have gotten whilst writing the user guide for that little lot?

What chance do you think the latterly named EA would have had of making profits?

Edit: I just realised I did not answer your question. A "Wotsit" is a "Thingumybob" by a different name.

SteveHopwood
Owner

Griddy Wotsit

Post by SteveHopwood »

Whilst we are on the subject of talking bollocks, I just received an invitation to visit GLOBALCON at some trade fair in the US. Here is the lovely drivel they wrote:
GLOBALCON, a dynamic and interactive tradeshow with current trends and innovations in energy, power and facility strategies and technologies.
The dimwit in the US who penned that little lot should get together with the dimwit here in the UK who printed, "Intelligent Drainage Solutions" on the side of a plumber's van.

This EA, and therefore this thread, is merely a bit of fun unless it turns into something useful, so feel free to go off topic and post your own classic examples of Corporate Titwitspeak.

Peepaws
Trader

Griddy Wotsit

Post by Peepaws »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dasssi

Griddy Wotsit

Post by dasssi »

so far its looking very nice actually i am surprise.
thanks for the toy

Return to “Automated trading systems”