DC3 Range Bar Strategy

Wavegarrick
Trader

DC3 Range Bar Strategy

Post by Wavegarrick »

Hi Tyler,
Hello everyone!

I've read this entire thread multiple times and I still am not sure how to add range bars to my chart, I've added "Range bars EA new format 1 mod.mq4" to normal charts and offline charts but everytime I do my Empty4 platform freezes. My apologies for being too dumb to figure it out myself, any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks
Tyler
Seeing you have tried multiple times. Let me try and help. You load the "Range bar ea new format" on a 1minute chart, the chart you are going to trade. Ensure you have the Ea Dll imports set to True in the common Tab of the Ea. Open up Offline chart 3min for the apllicable chart. And you are good to go. Rene's modified Ea must be attached to this off line chart.

Hope it helps

Cheers
Leon
TylerRoss

DC3 Range Bar Strategy

Post by TylerRoss »

Wavegarrick » Mon May 22, 2017 4:44 pm wrote:Hi Tyler,

Seeing you have tried multiple times. Let me try and help. You load the "Range bar ea new format" on a 1minute chart, the chart you are going to trade. Ensure you have the Ea Dll imports set to True in the common Tab of the Ea. Open up Offline chart 3min for the apllicable chart. And you are good to go. Rene's modified Ea must be attached to this off line chart.

Hope it helps

Cheers
Leon
Thanks Leon!

Whenever I add "Range bars EA new format 1 mod.mq4", which is listed at the bottom of the first post in this thread, to an M1 chart, nothing happens and my Empty4 platform says "(Not Responding)" and is frozen. So I can't get to the part where I open up an offline chart. I hope I'm not missing something simple! :arrrg:
renexxxx
Trader

DC3 Range Bar Strategy

Post by renexxxx »

TylerRoss » Tue May 23, 2017 4:35 am wrote: I hope I'm not missing something simple! :arrrg:
Not sure where you are going wrong. Let's start from the beginning:

1. Open up Empty4, close ALL existing charts. Check your Empty4 build number (Help -> About). Mine is 1080
2. Check Tools -> Options (Cntr-O) and click the Expert Advisors - tab. You should see something like this:
Capture.PNG
The check mark for "Allow Webrequests" does not matter ...

3. Open up EURUSD and switch to M1. So far so good?
4. Let's get some data for this chart ... so, first switch off "Auto Scroll":
On the M1-chart, right click, select "Properties" (or press F8) and select the "Common" tab.
Make sure that "Chart Autoscroll" is not ticked.
5. Now press the "Page UP" botton repeatedly, (or hold it down), until the M1 chart stops moving.
(There are other ways of obtaining historical data, but this works ... )
6. You can now switch Auto Scroll back on, if you want.
7. Now add the Range bars EA new format 1 mod.ex4 Expert Advisors to this M1 chart. Make a special note of the TimeFrame setting (Default: 3):
Capture.PNG
If it is set to 3, it will create the M3 offline chart. So far so good?
8. Open up the M3 offline chart. If you got here, you can now add the DC3V1O (mod).ex4 Expert Advisor to the M3 offline chart.

Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TylerRoss

DC3 Range Bar Strategy

Post by TylerRoss »

Thank you Rene for the detailed instructions, but unfortunately, still, in step 7 when I add the Range Bars EA the blue "waiting" circle cursor appears and the software is "(Not Responding)". :arrrg:
madpipa
Trader

DC3 Range Bar Strategy

Post by madpipa »

TylerRoss » Tue May 23, 2017 7:56 am wrote:Thank you Rene for the detailed instructions, but unfortunately, still, in step 7 when I add the Range Bars EA the blue "waiting" circle cursor appears and the software is "(Not Responding)". :arrrg:
Hi Tyler,

Easy to make the mistake you did. It is not an indicator but an Expert. I assumed it would be an indicator as the last time I used a free range bar generator it was an indicator. So I tried it on my platform as an indicator & got the same result as you - locked Empty4. I even tried it as a script - works but the inputs are not accessible.

Ensure you have placed it in the Experts folder & then restart Empty4 & try it again.

Cheers,
Mick
olric2000
Trader

DC3 Range Bar Strategy

Post by olric2000 »

Hi,

I'd like tell my experience concerning the EA, maybe somebody has the same problem.
I followed all instructions which are clearly explained by Rene. But when I upload the Range Bar EA new Format, nothing happens, no offline chart appears. EA seems to work on the chart, there is no error or freezing. I tried at 3 different Empty4 platforms (Gp and ICM, 1090).

So, I looked for some other tool for range bar generation. I found an indicator called range bar, it created M3 offline charts and I put the original EA on it. It seems working although there is no trade yet.

Thank you all for all these brilliant staff here.

Ahmet
TylerRoss

DC3 Range Bar Strategy

Post by TylerRoss »

I knew I had to be missing something simple. My humblest apologies and most sincere appreciation. I initially added it to the Experts folder because it had "EA" in the title. However, when I first downloaded it I didn't know how to apply it to a chart and I found it unresponsive in the Experts folder so I moved it to the Indicators folder and by the time I read Rene's step by step instructions I had forgotten it was still in the Indicators folder. So sorry!

Thanks guys!
Tyler
DigitalCrypto
Trader

DC3 Range Bar Strategy

Post by DigitalCrypto »

I just wanted to post an update on this thread so it doesn't die a horrible death of "wtf happened?"

The time I spent away I've been learning how to code EAs. I've learned a lot along the way. The very first thing I can tell you is that Steve and the boys have put a ton of time into making sure their stuff works.

I know this because I thought to myself "Well surely Empty4 doesn't need all these tests and checks and what nots because they were able to fix them in later versions over the years" Don't kid yourself. It's just as bad or probably worse now than ever. I say this as I just closed 6 duplicate trade positions from the simple EA I had written.

This tells me right away that if it isn't needed it's probably not in there. And if it IS needed then it is there or someone is writing a patch for it right now.

So I will keep plugging away. Not because anything will become of this but because I have to know the "why" behind it not working.

- David
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

DC3 Range Bar Strategy

Post by SteveHopwood »

DigitalCrypto » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:19 am wrote:I just wanted to post an update on this thread so it doesn't die a horrible death of "wtf happened?"

The time I spent away I've been learning how to code EAs. I've learned a lot along the way. The very first thing I can tell you is that Steve and the boys have put a ton of time into making sure their stuff works.

I know this because I thought to myself "Well surely Empty4 doesn't need all these tests and checks and what nots because they were able to fix them in later versions over the years" Don't kid yourself. It's just as bad or probably worse now than ever. I say this as I just closed 6 duplicate trade positions from the simple EA I had written.

This tells me right away that if it isn't needed it's probably not in there. And if it IS needed then it is there or someone is writing a patch for it right now.

So I will keep plugging away. Not because anything will become of this but because I have to know the "why" behind it not working.

- David
Welcome to the world of me and the rest of my fellow coders. :arrrg: :arrrg: :arrrg: :arrrg: :arrrg: :arrrg: :arrrg: :arrrg: :arrrg:

And our ten years of hard earned experience. Quite a lot of time, a decade.

:xm:
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
txfxtrader

DC3 Range Bar Strategy

Post by txfxtrader »

DigitalCrypto » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:19 pm wrote:I just wanted to post an update on this thread so it doesn't die a horrible death of "wtf happened?"

- David
Any updates on this trading strategy? It's been some time since you posted on the thread.

Return to “Automated trading systems”