Old Moving Day

SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Moving Day

Post by SteveHopwood »

My demo is further along than the rest of you, so why not beak in on it. The markets are cooperating and the results are mind blowing.

Login: 2169631
Investor: rujp0qa

The 'Investor' password allows you to view the demo without risk of accidentally mucking it up. Enjoy.

:xm: :rocket:
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Moving Day

Post by SteveHopwood »

Here is a great example of how the market whipsawing around its moving average is costly, but then how it makes up the losses when the market finally takes off. You probably need to open the pic in a separate tab so you can enlarge it and see the details:
CADJPYH1.png
The moving average is a 480 period H1 equivalent of the 20 period D1 i.e. 20 days multiplied by 24 hours per day.

In round figures, whipsaw cost $200 but the profit on the open trade is already past $500. Equity on the demo is over $26,200.

Looking promising.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

madpipa
Trader

Moving Day

Post by madpipa »

Another good one! Thanks Steve. Makes me wonder why I try to find ever-more complicated ways to win when a simple idea can still make money. :clap:

Thanks also for posting your account details. It has highlighted something interesting for me to look into. Since I started the EA this week it has closed 54 trades up till 2 hours into Friday, broker time. Compare that to the 68 trades your EA has closed since late December. BIG difference. I am also using GP demo to test. I have added the 5 extra main pairs for a total of 28 pairs to trade. Those extra pairs only account for 4 trades, so that would mean the original pairs in default EA would have closed 50 trades so far.

So I created a set file from the EA running on my PC & compared it to a set file of the default setting of the EA when downloaded. I have made a few changes but mainly with font sizing & colours (my eyesight ain't what it was).

The only other input I have changed is "ChartTimeFrame". It seems to me that it is only used in opening/closing charts, so shouldn't affect the trading side of EA.

If anyone can guess why my EA seems to be opening more trades I would appreciate your input.

I intend to still keep testing the EA as is for now as it is performing very well. :good:
I opened a small $500 account using 0.02 lots (similar to Steve's suggested sizing). It lost about 23% at the worst. I see this as inevitable, as the EA is building a portfolio of trades & the early week moves are often less volatile than mid to late week markets. Then it all changed on Thursday when the EA went into profit with 5 trades hitting TP, making 37%! It is also carrying about +20% in open trades. If this was a live account I would be happy to close them, turn the EA off & wait till next week to start again. But as it is demo I want to see how it behaves without interference.

https://www.fxblue.com/users/2173874

Thanks again Steve. Let's hope the ranging times aren't worse than the strong moves to TP.
barry
Trader

Moving Day

Post by barry »

Steve,
Thanks for sharing this. You wrote that you set it up on fxtestify in early Feb, and I see trading started in early Jan, so it has more than enough history to show on fxtestify, but I'm not seeing it there yet, any idea why that might be?
Thanks,
Barry
SteveHopwood
Owner

Moving Day

Post by SteveHopwood »

barry » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:13 am wrote:Steve,
Thanks for sharing this. You wrote that you set it up on fxtestify in early Feb, and I see trading started in early Jan, so it has more than enough history to show on fxtestify, but I'm not seeing it there yet, any idea why that might be?
Thanks,
Barry
Thanks Barry.

I have ballsed up big time. There is a line of code that I forgot to edit, so all of our Moving Day results have been going to Slopey Peaky Moving Bob, butchering that EA's results. I have fixed this in the version in post 1.

It is the easiest DIY in the world. Do a search for:
ChartSaveTemplate(0,StringFormat("ZZT2MTPL-%s-%s-%s-%d-%d-%d-%d","SHF","SPMAC","MULSYM",Period(),AccountNumber(),TimeCurrent(),MagicNumber));

Replace it with:
ChartSaveTemplate(0,StringFormat("ZZT2MTPL-%s-%s-%s-%d-%d-%d-%d","SHF","MD","MULSYM",Period(),AccountNumber(),TimeCurrent(),MagicNumber));

Sorry about that. :oops:

guptabhk
Trader

Moving Day

Post by guptabhk »

hi
steve
Thanks for the moving day ea
i am testing and its promising
one thing i noted cross of moving average always whipsawing before trending
so i thought instead of market order, i started putting pending order grid size 1
but it is not closing the pending trade when reversal signal takes place

if possible any amendment is appreciated for closure of pending order when trade direction reversed
RMSSC
Trader

Moving Day

Post by RMSSC »

Hi Steve,
You put the EA in the first post, Moving Day, and also said that your settings were configurations TP 150 pips SL 300 pips.
I have the principle of initially following the winning strategy that will be yours.
However my demo that I installed and uninstalled, is not closing the winning trades, just the losing ones.
I didn't want to change the initial strategy to be able to compare with the ones I will test later.
I know there must be more people with the same problem.
Something is passing me by.
Yesterday I started the demo again after installing it on a new platform, below you can see the results.
If you can clarify what is going on, I would appreciate it very much.
Balance: 50,000
Lot 1.5
Leverage: 1: 100
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SteveHopwood
Owner

Moving Day

Post by SteveHopwood »

guptabhk » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:43 am wrote:hi
steve
Thanks for the moving day ea
i am testing and its promising
one thing i noted cross of moving average always whipsawing before trending
so i thought instead of market order, i started putting pending order grid size 1
but it is not closing the pending trade when reversal signal takes place

if possible any amendment is appreciated for closure of pending order when trade direction reversed
The instant I read this I thought to myself, "Why didn't I think of that?" I have adopted this strategy on my demo, with a distance between trades setting of 10. I will widen this if it proves to be too close. We shall see. I have changed my TP to 100 pips to try to catch those trades that cannot make it to 150. I closed existing open trades so the balance is now $27,545, with two stop orders in place.

Not deleting the stop orders on a recross in the opposite direction was down to a simple bloop - fixed in post 1. It is a simple DIY. Do a search for this comment:
//Deal with opposite direction cross closure

Scroll down about 6 lines to this code:
closeAllTrades(symbol, OP_SELL);

Change it to:
closeAllTrades(symbol, AllTrades);

Scroll down a few more lines to:
closeAllTrades(symbol, OP_BUY);

Change it to:
closeAllTrades(symbol, AllTrades);

RMSSC
Trader

Moving Day

Post by RMSSC »

RMSSC » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:58 am wrote:Hi Steve,
You put the EA in the first post, Moving Day, and also said that your settings were configurations TP 150 pips SL 300 pips.
I have the principle of initially following the winning strategy that will be yours.
However my demo that I installed and uninstalled, is not closing the winning trades, just the losing ones.
I didn't want to change the initial strategy to be able to compare with the ones I will test later.
I know there must be more people with the same problem.
Something is passing me by.
Yesterday I started the demo again after installing it on a new platform, below you can see the results.
If you can clarify what is going on, I would appreciate it very much.
Balance: 50,000
Lot 1.5
Leverage: 1: 100

Steve,
The previous comment is to forget, i still haven´t recovered from the carnival :oops:
I was doing the calculations wrong.
I´m sorry,
Cheers :hi:
SteveHopwood
Owner

Moving Day

Post by SteveHopwood »

V 1a is in post 1.

LUC paid a visit today, an old friend we have not seen much of recently. The changes I made earlier did not work because there was a variable I forgot to set to tell the close all trades function to delete pending orders.

Then I noticed MD was sending orders at 10 pip intervals. The cause of this was the GridSize input being > 0, so MD was filling the gaps as the markets moved in the wrong direction. I have fixed this.

MD is an adapted form of SPB. SPB was only ever intended to be a grid trader so MD is torturing the code somewhat. I need to separate the initial trade from the grid function so that one form of functionality is not having to adapt itself to a different form. I will look at this.

--------------------------------------

On a slightly different, and ludicrous, note I received one of the dafter pm's I have received for a long time. The member appears to be asking why he cannot load MD onto the account I have provided the 'Investor' password.

Obviously you cannot run anything with an investor only password. Imagine what I would say to anyone who did so and mucked everything up. Idiot.

I did explain this in the relevant post. Maybe I use a couple of two syllable words, or some sentences with more than five words in them. Sorry about that.

The member should feel thoroughly ashamed of himself.

Return to “Automated trading systems”