Old and defunct Holy Graily Bob

EA's inspired by nanningbob's work here, especially those based on his 240 Moving Average trend detection filter.
alcando

Holy Graily Bob

Post by alcando »

I have admittedly struggled to keep up with where the development of HGIB has headed. Reading the last 20odd pages it seems the development has turned to using a large stream of pendings. I have installed an OOTB version of 2h for the last week or so and it has been turning in a string of losing days. I am struggling to evaluate why this is the case. Today has done it no favours.

I have had the first version on test since December albeit closed all out and turned off over Christmas to New Year. I liked how it was performing so I increased the lotsize to 0.1 on a 10k test account. The results have been very sweet and even tho other good performing test bots of mine had a tough time over NFP, HGIB ver1v held steady. Today was no exception for this older bot on a balanced set of 15 pairs. With a profit factor of 3.72 to date I like it's style. Little to no drawdown and stable, its a smooth ride I like it.
Image 11.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kimmy
Trader

Holy Graily Bob

Post by Kimmy »

I'm in one of those trades also......my opinion is that it wont stay up there, and i would expect some pull back....however, I'm still scratching my head as to how it got up there in the first place, so maybe my opinion is down the toilet along with my trade management.....I'm looking for a pull back, then I'll keep tightening stop loss behind it.....the only thing is that given the nature of this news, it might see a fundamental shift in sentiment for the chf.....so, it may keep going.....

given you have three position, the risk maybe too high for you to sit on them....

Wiggy[/quote]

scary stuff.....it was only one trade but then the massive spread triggered the pendings before i could delete them.
i was doing so well too, just getting the hang of things and up a couple of hundred £ trading conservatively the last 2 days. first week on live account after using demo for a while......typical eh?
the annoying thing is that i was just about to close everything up because i was going out for the rest of the day and then all hell let loose. Needless to say my plans are cancelled and am staying here to sort out this mess !

thanks for your points Wiggy.....it would break my heart to close and take the loss only to see things reverse when New York opens ....but on the other hand i really can't lose the whole account !!!!....decisions decisions !
are you going to wait and see what happens in US session ?
fx800
Trader

Holy Graily Bob

Post by fx800 »

SteveHopwood » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:00 am wrote:Wow.

I decided to take the plunge and put HGB on my tiny live account, about 10 minutes before the AC plunge. Half an hour or so later, the account was c.40% less tiny. :clap: :clap: :clap:

HGB has knocked off for the day and I will not trade tomorrow - no sense in giving all that profit back.

In common with a few of you, the move knocked out my demo account. We now know that using a margin call as an emergency stop loss is a bad idea in a fast moving market.

Events today prove yet again the old adage, that timing is everything. :lol:

Live, I had my margin level protection set to 400%. HGB duly opened no more initial trades once the margin fell below this figure.

News 'events' were actually news non-events for a couple of years. Even NFP raised little more than a yawn. Recent evidence suggests that this has changed and news releases are again releasing shock-waves into the Forex markets - worthwhile bearing in mind when deciding to trade or not.

:xm:
Good on you, Steve. :!!:

And commiserations for those caught on the wrong side of the trade. :cry:
boinvest
Trader

Holy Graily Bob

Post by boinvest »

Leslie » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:26 pm wrote:
No. Find a broker able to accommodate the way HGB (and all my other bots since the dawn of time) closes trades. Everyone else from the States has either found one or stopped using HGB....
Anyone with suggestions for a US broker that fits with HGB, I'll certainly investigate making a change. Thanks.

Leslie
From what I know if your from the US and want to do something with forex as anything else on the financial markets you are stuffed.
I agree with Steve, don't feel the need to take on a lot of work for very few people.
Instead, if you are from the US, do your homework.
Get yourself an offshore, Open a brokerage account with a good criminal, and enjoy leverage, hedging and stuff like everyone else. Win or loose many, get margin called. And when your lucky, be creative (with Bitcoins) to withdraw the profits back to your wellbeloved country, capiche?

alcando » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:42 pm wrote:I have admittedly struggled to keep up with where the development of HGIB has headed. Reading the last 20odd pages it seems the development has turned to using a large stream of pendings. I have installed an OOTB version of 2h for the last week or so and it has been turning in a string of losing days. I am struggling to evaluate why this is the case. Today has done it no favours.

I have had the first version on test since December albeit closed all out and turned off over Christmas to New Year. I liked how it was performing so I increased the lotsize to 0.1 on a 10k test account. The results have been very sweet and even tho other good performing test bots of mine had a tough time over NFP, HGIB ver1v held steady. Today was no exception for this older bot on a balanced set of 15 pairs. With a profit factor of 3.72 to date I like it's style. Little to no drawdown and stable, its a smooth ride I like it.
It's all in the settings, the pendings have been in the bot for a while.
Glad you like it :)
fullaforex
Trader

Holy Graily Bob

Post by fullaforex »

Wiggy1965 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:34 pm wrote:
I'm in one of those trades also......my opinion is that it wont stay up there, and i would expect some pull back....however, I'm still scratching my head as to how it got up there in the first place, so maybe my opinion is down the toilet along with my trade management.....I'm looking for a pull back, then I'll keep tightening stop loss behind it.....the only thing is that given the nature of this news, it might see a fundamental shift in sentiment for the chf.....so, it may keep going.....

given you have three position, the risk maybe too high for you to sit on them....

Wiggy
IMHO
On the other hand you could place Pending Sell trades not too far below the top level so that if it does retrace the pendings will activate and bring your breakeven closer to price. and therefore a better chance to close at BE. If the price continues to rise, just sit sight if you have enough equity to cover and if it retraces place the pendings again. IMHO 3 pendings would be about 500 in margin at your lotsize.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand Binary and those who don't.
remix919
Trader

Holy Graily Bob

Post by remix919 »

Wow, anyone else see the crazy move on NZDCHF? that one currency alone wiped out both my demos =\ Gonna get rid of that pair and start my demos over now
EA's are the best way to trade. Why? Because they take the emotion out of trading.
fullaforex
Trader

Holy Graily Bob

Post by fullaforex »

remix919 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:09 pm wrote:Wow, anyone else see the crazy move on NZDCHF? that one currency alone wiped out both my demos =\ Gonna get rid of that pair and start my demos over now
just read a few posts back!
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand Binary and those who don't.
sponn
Trader

Holy Graily Bob

Post by sponn »

I have lost one account too... - this w=one I was trading EA. It was no way to avoid it. If we were on the right side accounts would survive. Just a bad luck nothing else and no ones fault.

In the other hand I have got second account - manual trading BOB HGI indi and this one survived and I have got two shorts on chf and only one long so I'm around 1500 pips + on those 3 trades ;)
Wiggy1965
Trader

Holy Graily Bob

Post by Wiggy1965 »

Kimmy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:43 pm wrote:I'm in one of those trades also......my opinion is that it wont stay up there, and i would expect some pull back....however, I'm still scratching my head as to how it got up there in the first place, so maybe my opinion is down the toilet along with my trade management.....I'm looking for a pull back, then I'll keep tightening stop loss behind it.....the only thing is that given the nature of this news, it might see a fundamental shift in sentiment for the chf.....so, it may keep going.....

Wiggy
scary stuff.....it was only one trade but then the massive spread triggered the pendings before i could delete them.
i was doing so well too, just getting the hang of things and up a couple of hundred £ trading conservatively the last 2 days. first week on live account after using demo for a while......typical eh?
the annoying thing is that i was just about to close everything up because i was going out for the rest of the day and then all hell let loose. Needless to say my plans are cancelled and am staying here to sort out this mess !

thanks for your points Wiggy.....it would break my heart to close and take the loss only to see things reverse when New York opens ....but on the other hand i really can't lose the whole account !!!!....decisions decisions !
are you going to wait and see what happens in US session ?[/quote]

yes Kimmy, I'm going to watch the US session....

price on this pair has never been up here, so who knows what will happen....

I you put you stop above the high (add extra pips if you can tolerate the risk) then you know what the worse case scenario is for this trade and you can relax....

the market will do what it will do...

the more relaxed you are, you will notice the market tends to do more of the things you want it to do...!

Wiggy
Kimmy
Trader

Holy Graily Bob

Post by Kimmy »

fullaforex » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:57 pm wrote:
IMHO
On the other hand you could place Pending Sell trades not too far below the top level so that if it does retrace the pendings will activate and bring your breakeven closer to price. and therefore a better chance to close at BE. If the price continues to rise, just sit sight if you have enough equity to cover and if it retraces place the pendings again. IMHO 3 pendings would be about 500 in margin at your lotsize.

great idea Fullaforex !!! :cheer: thank you so much

i have placed pending shorts at 132.70....132.50....132.30 .......unless there is a large retrace it will only make a small dent but anything helps !
thanks again for your suggestion

Kim

Return to “Thingy Bob EA's”