Holy Graily Bob 'n Dotty 'n Super Slope 'n Flying Buddha

EA's inspired by nanningbob's work here, especially those based on his 240 Moving Average trend detection filter.
cozybooks
Trader

Post by cozybooks »

Apparently I have trouble counting above six, because I'm actually running live on only seven pairs at the moment. :?
They are: AUDCAD, AUDNZD, CADJPY, EURGBP, EURUSD, GBPUSD, NZDJPY - I have trades open for NZDUSD on this account, but they are using a different strategy. In theory I am trading the following currencies twice each:
AUD, CAD, EUR, GBP, JPY, NZD, USD
Of course, this is now in question now that I know my cat can count higher than I can. :)

Originally I had about 14 pairs running. There's an option on the EA called OnlyTradeCurrencyTwice. I had this set to true, but I had AUD running on four pairs, and every time AUD would change direction on superslope, every one of the four pairs would generate multiple trades each that would all lose money at the same time. Naturally this never happened on a winning streak. I think Steve has a saying or two that covers this. :lol: Anyway, I decided to just control the number of pairs myself and go from there.

I am still open to future variations on this strategy. I've reached this point by reviewing my biggest losing trades each month on the live test and trying to determine what led to the losses and if there is a way to limit those losses on future trades without taking away the ability to still generate profits.

Best of good fortune testing this out! :mrgreen:
TraderJoeForex
Trader

Post by TraderJoeForex »

Basics:
Timeframe: 4-Hour
Superslope Filter: Weekly 4-50 (just about one month of data)
Maximum 5 buy trades and 5 sell trades open at any one time.
Trade entry on every Flying Buddha signal
No SL
TP=150% of Daily ATR(365)
No miminum distance in pips between trades.
I am not using sixths or trading in the middle or any of the cozybooks closure options on this strategy.
Hey Cozybooks.. great to see you still plugging away with this. Just a quick reminder that you could simplify the above with Awesome on just one chart.. or two if needed to separate buys and sells. It makes setup and adjustments so much easier!

:smile: :good:
cozybooks
Trader

Post by cozybooks »

Hi TJF,

It's hard to keep track of all of the great things you are doing on the various threads here! :clap:

I did something wrong on my setup for this and it was only sending out one trade per pair. When I saw that today, I was thinking, "I wonder if I could accomplish this with all of the stuff they did on Awesome?"

Before I could check into it, here you are!

Do I need the Bells and Whistles version or just the original version to do this with Superslope? I can play around with them and find out.

I've been scalping AUDUSD the last couple of days with this strategy when I have been in the office here and there. 5 Min. TF with 4-Hour Superslope (6-50) as the filter - about one day of data using a 13 pip TP, and 15 Min. TF with 4-Hour Superslope 12-50 as the filter - 2 days worth of data, with a 22 pip TP. Still using 70% of winners on one side to close out losers on the other side. I like AUDUSD because it fits into my U.S. hours and I'm chicken - it doesn't usually move that far, so I can't get myself into as much trouble. :roll:

I'm up a net 159 pips in two days in limited live scalping Monday and Tuesday :clap:

Thanks for the assistance!

Steve
TraderJoeForex
Trader

Post by TraderJoeForex »

cozybooks » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:23 pm wrote:Hi TJF,

It's hard to keep track of all of the great things you are doing on the various threads here! :clap:

I did something wrong on my setup for this and it was only sending out one trade per pair. When I saw that today, I was thinking, "I wonder if I could accomplish this with all of the stuff they did on Awesome?"

Before I could check into it, here you are!

Do I need the Bells and Whistles version or just the original version to do this with Superslope? I can play around with them and find out.

I've been scalping AUDUSD the last couple of days with this strategy when I have been in the office here and there. 5 Min. TF with 4-Hour Superslope (6-50) as the filter - about one day of data using a 13 pip TP, and 15 Min. TF with 4-Hour Superslope 12-50 as the filter - 2 days worth of data, with a 22 pip TP. Still using 70% of winners on one side to close out losers on the other side. I like AUDUSD because it fits into my U.S. hours and I'm chicken - it doesn't usually move that far, so I can't get myself into as much trouble. :roll:

I'm up a net 159 pips in two days in limited live scalping Monday and Tuesday :clap:

Thanks for the assistance!

Steve
Original version is what I use. If you need any help setting up just pm me.
cozybooks
Trader

Post by cozybooks »

Trading in the middle January Live results: a disappointing loss of $ 38.31 for the month. I'll leave the live test running with its seven pairs for February to see if my strategy can produce a profitable month.

Happy trading! :clap: :clap: :clap:
cozybooks
Trader

Post by cozybooks »

I suspended the live version of Trading in the Middle about ten days in February. It had lost a small amount of money in February as well, but I had another strategy that I wanted to apply to a live test, so the money being used on this live test was hijacked for another purpose.

Nonetheless, I learned a lot from running this live since August 2017. Based on all of that, I have set up two long term demos starting today. I'll report back monthly on how they are doing.

Both demos are set up using 26 pairs.

First demo setup:
1 Hour, Daily SS 6/50 as filter, One Trade Max per pair, Trading only in middle, Sixths divided into six and set to 240 periods, UseCozybookTrailingStop=true, CloseTradesAtOppositePeakLine=true, both TP and SL set to Daily ATR for 365 periods, BE 80/20.

Second demo setup:
Same as first except I am allowing two trades maximum per pair, 20 pips minimum between trades. No BE, no TS, no Closing of any kind except the same Daily ATR used for TP or SL. This is a little bit more of a pure test. 1:1 ratio on TP and SL, so if the Daily Superslope 6/50 really works as a valid filter in the long haul, over many pairs and many months I should have more winners than losers.

Overall, I lost about $150 on the 6-1/2 months I was trading live, but what I learned in that time was more than worth the investment. Having a small amount of money really on the line made me pay far more attention to what was happening than if I was running a demo with no real threats of losses.

Lots of fabulous things going on in other directions in other threads, but I think it's worth following through on my original ideas and giving them a nice long term (9 months minimum) test. One of my biggest failings when I was first trading was to abandon an idea as soon as it hit a tough patch and move on to the next idea, thinking I would miraculously have no tough patches on the new strategy. If the nine month test generates a decent profit, I will put this into its own live account again for 2019. The original idea behind this was go see if I could come up with a valid strategy for a newby trader with a small account of $500-1000, so I'm not willing to give up on this just yet.

Happy trading everyone, and I can't thank Steve and TJF enough for all of the work they have done and advice they have given! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Return to “Thingy Bob EA's”