Holy Graily Bob 'n Dotty 'n Super Slope 'n Flying Buddha

EA's inspired by nanningbob's work here, especially those based on his 240 Moving Average trend detection filter.
cozybooks
Trader

Post by cozybooks »

:) Apparently I was giving in and sending you the PM while you were writing out your reply. The last attempt I made resulted in the EA bringing back the dreaded 130 error continuously after it had disappeared from the EA for two months. That was all it took. I give in. :clap:

I will say it's worth giving stuff like that a try first. I already understand a lot more than I did - just not enough to fix the problem without lots more grief.

Steve, you are the best!

Have a great weekend everyone! :clap: :party: :party: :clap:
rapple
Trader

Post by rapple »

Hi all.

Here was my last statement (Page 27)
Hi all,

Continuing on from my post on Fri Aug 04 this setup is still gaining ground.

I am now using MilaneseAPTM to manage trades set by HGBDSSFB (setfiles attached)

I have noted that the weekly CSS on a number of pairs are starting to cross-over. This will likely lead to a period of drawdown for this setup. I welcome this as I would like to see if the gains out-way the loses.

Would be interested if others have noted a change in sentiment in the market that corresponds to the weekly CSS?
As I said in this last post, "I maybe in for a bit of a drawdown" with this 1D:1W CSS following strategy. Well as you can see from the equity curve I have been in a downward slide for the good part of a month. However 'the worm may have turned' with the equity curve starting to head north again.

One positive from this study is that it was relatively easy to pick consolidation period in the equity curve and maybe we could use this as a filter to decide when this CSS following strategies should be run or not.

Food for thought and any comments are welcome

NOTE: A full explanation of this strategy is on Page 14

Cheers Richard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cozybooks
Trader

Post by cozybooks »

Hey Richard,

Very happy to see the Equity Curve heading back in the right direction. I thought your strategy had great promise, and it looks like it continues to do well. I think there are so many ways to trade this EA profitably and that we have barely scratched the surface.

It would be interesting to see long term whether adding a filter using the consolidation period would help your results. Sometimes I think it's better to just take the natural down periods for a given strategy and live with them as long as the equity curve keeps going up. On the other hand, when I played around with Trading in the middle, I found that if I didn't use the daily superslope filter there was a big drop off in performance.

You've perked up my interest enough to want to give your strategy a try in the coming weeks. If I come up with any variations to try, I'll report back.

Keep up the great work! :party: :clap: :party:
rapple
Trader

Post by rapple »

cozybooks » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:03 pm wrote:

You've perked up my interest enough to want to give your strategy a try in the coming weeks. If I come up with any variations to try, I'll report back.

Keep up the great work! :party: :clap: :party:
Cheers Cozy. Would be interested if you started the strategy now if you get a positive return that is in sync with mine

Grab the setfiles from Page 27 and note I do not trade all pairs
cozybooks
Trader

Post by cozybooks »

Okay, will do.

Thanks for all of your efforts. Lots of great teamwork making continual strides here!

:clap:
cozybooks
Trader

Post by cozybooks »

Trading in the Middle: A disastrous November, which kept the path that started around the middle of October. Losses piled up quickly and often, to the tune of $ 157.47. :( Winnings are all gone, and I now have a loss of $ 57.59 (or about 5.8%) on the account. Over 85% of the losses were confined to EURGBP, EURJPY and GBPAUD, so running less pairs isn't necessarily a guarantee of limiting losses.

Looking to learn from the losses: Having multiple trades open at once for a pair has been a big loser. I would still be running a small profit if I had allowed a maximum of one trade per pair. This was a big surprise to me. I thought the occasional big gain with 2 or 3 trades open would more than off set any losses. Having three trades open instead of two was an even worse performer. Every case in which I had three trades at once open on a pair lost money - possibly some bad luck involved, but very telling.

I am moving forward with some changes Steve has made to use the trading line as a SL on winning trades and the Peak line as a SL on losing trades. I am also going to limit each pair to just one trade. This is very counter-intuitive for me, but it's hard to argue with results.

Time will tell if the EA changes can bring it back to profitability, but either way there is always a lot to be learned in the process.

Happy trading! :)
isabek
Trader

Post by isabek »

cozybooks » 03 Dec 2017 23:44 wrote:I am moving forward with some changes Steve has made to use the trading line as a SL on winning trades
Please could you advise where I can look for trading line?
cozybooks
Trader

Post by cozybooks »

Hi Isabek,

I'd have sworn to you that the EA draws the trading line as a short dotted line below the Sixths line, but maybe that's only my imagination/confusion from using the Peaky Fifo EA, which does draw the trading line for sure. I don't see it this morning, but I don't have any trades open at the moment. Not sure if that has any bearing on it.

I've uploaded the sixths as bands modded indicator, which if you are using Sixths divided into six lines like I am, will work. The default will be that the peak lines are solid yellow and the trading lines are dotted yellow. It also has a green and red line that are used for trade entry and close in Peaky, but you can always change them to the color of your background if you don't want to see them on your screen.

If you put it on a chart and scroll along until you see a major break, you will see that the run can be pretty extensive once it starts. One side note - one user input for the indi is to use the Close price instead of high/low. If you have this set to true, it will show the same sixths settings the EA is using. If you leave it at false, your lines will be slightly different because it will be using the candle high and low prices instead of the closing prices. Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
isabek
Trader

Post by isabek »

cozybooks » 04 Dec 2017 16:24 wrote:Hi Isabek,

I'd have sworn to you that the EA draws the trading line as a short dotted line below the Sixths line, but maybe that's only my imagination/confusion from using the Peaky Fifo EA, which does draw the trading line for sure. I don't see it this morning, but I don't have any trades open at the moment. Not sure if that has any bearing on it.

I've uploaded the sixths as bands modded indicator, which if you are using Sixths divided into six lines like I am, will work. The default will be that the peak lines are solid yellow and the trading lines are dotted yellow. It also has a green and red line that are used for trade entry and close in Peaky, but you can always change them to the color of your background if you don't want to see them on your screen.

If you put it on a chart and scroll along until you see a major break, you will see that the run can be pretty extensive once it starts. One side note - one user input for the indi is to use the Close price instead of high/low. If you have this set to true, it will show the same sixths settings the EA is using. If you leave it at false, your lines will be slightly different because it will be using the candle high and low prices instead of the closing prices. Cheers!
Huge thanks for full detail answer.
cozybooks
Trader

Post by cozybooks »

Well, the year has finished on my live trading in the middle experiment. December started with yet more losses, but finished nicely. All trades are closed for 2017.

December finished with a net profit of $ 25.69. :clap: :party: :D Added to my losses from November, I finished the August-December live test down $ 31.90. I've learned a lot, and the changes I made that were implemented for December came out with a profitable month. I let the EA run hands off for the month except for one trade I closed accidentally for a $ 1.31 profit.

I've attached the modded version of the EA that Steve changed, which allows using the Sixths lines as markers for setting a trailing stop, along with the 1 hour .set file I am using in case anyone wants to play around with it and try different things. I've also attached the Sixths as bands modded indi (see earlier post for explanation), and an indi that provides the daily ATR for a pair in pips, which I now use as a TP.

I will leave this live going forward. Hopefully, with everything I've learned, I will avoid anything close the disastrous November the EA experienced. Time will tell if this will work out or prove profitable, but I plan on leaving it hands off as much as possible. From the start, the goal of this test has been to find an EA that someone could use with an account of as little as $ 1,000 (or $100 if you could find a broker that supported $100 minimum lot sizes instead of $1,000.

Brief summary of my settings moving into 2018:
Max Trades=1
Trading only in the middle
SL=200
TP=Daily ATR (365 periods, 1.0 multiplier) , so my TP is different for every pair.
Close on opposite FB, but only when SS agrees
Sixths - set to 240 bars
UseCozybookTrailingStop=true
CloseTradesAtOppositePeakLine=true

The Cozybooks trailing stop gets triggered if price breaks the outside sixths line on a profitable trade, with the trailing stop set to the trading line (yellow line on the sixthsasmodded indi). As the yellow line moves further into profit, the trailing stop moves with it, which works nicely on a big move.

Closing at the opposite peak line means that if I have a buy trade, it will close if price breaks the lower sixths line and vice versa. So big losing trades will either close due to hitting the outside sixths line, or a 200 pip SL, whichever is less.

Once a trade is opened, it gets closed only by one of these events:
Price hits TP (Daily ATR365 1.0)
Price breaks outside upper sixths line on buy, or lower sixths line on sell, and then comes back to the yellow line
Price hits opposite outside sixths line
Price hits 200 pip SL
Superslope changes color and an opposite FB signal comes up.

Steve, TJF, and everyone else who helped along the way, thanks for all of your contributions!
:clap: :clap: :party: :party: :clap:

I've made enough changes along the way that I will reset my counter for 2018, starting at zero. My goal is still 20% return per year, which would be $200 in the first year on my $1,000 investment.

Looking forward to 2018!

:D

Return to “Thingy Bob EA's”