HGI used with Hurst charts

Includes an archive of all previous Bob stuff
Pedro2
Trader

Post by Pedro2 »

Hi everyone,
First it was real nice of Macman to create to create this HGI with Hurst charts topic. I am not really up to speed on forums and usually never post. But Steve's forum has been so great to view opinions from other dedicated traders with no axe to grind. For several years I have learn't much from the opinions of what has gone on in this forum. Especially from a user called NanningBob. His systems have been really inspirational. In fact his systems have lead me to find and use Hurst indicators. So thanks for that Bob.

What I have tried to do with Bob's Holy Grail is shine it up so that it sparkles. You see because I have taken so much from this forum I would feel guilty if I did not make some reasonable contribution to it. So here goes.

I have been trading a fair bit of the time since 1987. Now I am in my mid 70's. Then I was trading futures in the US in a small way. My first trade actually was a sell in the ASX the Friday before it crashed 600 points ($60,000). Well it retraced and hit my stop and cost me $800. I was not pleased and although I could have got in again I walked away and stayed out. That attitude stopped me from winning $60,000 by Monday. I reckon I walked around in a daze and punished myself for several weeks after that. Don't think I ever really got over it. So since then I have been looking for the holy grail. Trading futures was expensive and so was data and software. Mistakes very costly. Not sure how I survived really. Empty4 changed all that about 7 years ago with free data and software. Not perfect but better than nothing. FX now is much cheaper and going 24/5 from home.

Below I have put a screen shot and all the indicators, instructions, templates to get you up and running. Seeing that my first posts got deleted accidentally. It has given me a chance to sort a couple of bugs out and explain a little more on Hurst and what he achieved. So that is positive. I think Hurst made somewhere around $4 million in 12 months on the stock market. That is from memory. Although Hurst displaced MA's give you the length of each run once halfway through the price run. It does not give you the strength of the run starting. This is where Bob's HGI does its magic. Hurst gives me the length of the run before it is
finished and Bob's system give me a good idea of its strength on breakout which Hurst does not. I forgot Hurst gives me the buy and sell arrows to ignore on the HGI chart also. So knowing the length of the run and any arrows to ignore is the icing on the cake in my opinion.

So this is my contribution to Bob, Steve, Jemook and all others who make this forum so great. Hope with this idea you can clean the central banks vaults out with mega pips! There is more about the HGI_hurst_system_b.zip file on page 55, which is my latest version of the HGI Hurst idea. Have fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pedro2 on Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
nicolkoekoek
Trader

Post by nicolkoekoek »

Hi Pedro,
I have been watching the charts with the "Hurst" setup and I like it a lot, I hope somehow that it will be included in the HGI /HGB as an option. The way you can find the length of the trend by multiplying the distance from the crossing is also really helpful! I am surprised that this is not making big waves.. :-) :!!:
Thanks a lot for sharing! Nicolaas
spotdespot
Trader

Post by spotdespot »

Thanks for posting Pedro - a very valuable contribution I think. I have been playing around with this since you originally posted it and I like it a lot. I do have a question for you if you don't mind and an observation for others.

How do you use the Hurst bands in your setup? I had them on the chart originally but they don't seem to add a great deal as the centred TMA's seem to provide the magic so I removed them. Could you provide any insight on this please?

Just a general observation for all to note - as the white and yellow lines are TMA based they do repaint/recalculate a little - nothing drastic. However I do think this in general makes shorter time frames more challenging to trade - whereas on H4, for example, it is almost irrelevant when used in conjunction with HGI.

Thanks,
Dave.
slowkey
Trader

Look at what Pedro did Bob, Tommaso, Ellixe and Baluda

Post by slowkey »

Oh my goodness Pedro. This is fantastic. TMA Centered -5 and -11 only on this chart. 30 minute chart.
EURJPYM30.png
Hey guys and gals what do you think of what Pedro just gave us. Two averages based on TMA that mark out the best of the RAD and other signals as well as countertrend vs trend continuation with the RAD's.

Pedro this is really great stuff.

Could have some nice implications for incorporation into the HGI signals. This looks fabulous on every time period I have look at it on.

My modified template below. You will need Pedro's Package ...

Cheers, :smile:
Doug
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Gann Ribbons ... A new tool for looking at Time Periods, Price and Dynamic S/R in any system.

Now using HGI on 60 minutes and up & 10.7 with Hurst Targets intraday.
Bob's HGI Fourm
http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... =38&t=3524

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it."

Albert Einstein
slowkey
Trader

Now a Four Hour Chart ...

Post by slowkey »

Even on a four hour chart it makes people like me who normally do not like to trade higher time period charts take pause.

It really separates out white (counter trend/take profit areas) and trend continuation areas. Oh I really like this.
EURJPYH4.png
Cheers, :)
Doug
The Gann Ribbons ... A new tool for looking at Time Periods, Price and Dynamic S/R in any system.

Bob's HGI Fourm

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it."

Albert Einstein
muuh

Post by muuh »

Mh my first post here and the only thing i can say is, please watch it in realtime on the lower timeframes.
At least for half an hour. It looks beautiful in hindsight but in realtime :(
slowkey
Trader

Post by slowkey »

muuh » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:20 pm wrote:Mh my first post here and the only thing i can say is, please watch it in realtime on the lower timeframes.
At least for half an hour. It looks beautiful in hindsight but in realtime :(
Oh goodness ................................

The Old repainting argument rises again ....... Nonsense ..................................................

The true tma indicator on top and the false or repainting indicator on bottom of the chart ...............
Ok if you have spent enough time looking at True TMA somethings start to make sense. Beleive me I have. The wider areas of true TMA marked by the yellow lines show wide separation areas of deviation from the mean or zero line. The white Crossovers show areas of return to the mean. There is no way to line this up perfectly because we are talking about two averages based on TMA and not the True TMA indicator but there is a enough meaning inferred from the top indicator to show that the TMA averages are doing a pretty good job of pointing out with some accuracy where you would expect price to return to the mean or retrace. It does not mean the end of the move but a reflection on how far price has moved from the mean or center line. The Indicator on the bottom is not really showing us anything and is pretty much just showing the larger picture. I think an easy way to think about it is when you think how bollinger bands work.

It is the end of the week and it is impossible to trade much with this setup now with the low volume but next week I will take a serious look.
EURUSDH1.png
Doug

Bob's HGI Fourm

Albert Einstein
spotdespot
Trader

Post by spotdespot »

slowkey » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:05 pm wrote:

The Old repainting argument rises again ....... Nonsense ..................................................

The true tma indicator on top and the false or repainting indicator on bottom of the chart ...............
Ok if you have spent enough time looking at True TMA somethings start to make sense. Beleive me I have. The wider areas of true TMA marked by the yellow lines show wide separation areas of deviation from the mean or zero line. The white Crossovers show areas of return to the mean. There is no way to line this up perfectly because we are talking about two averages based on TMA and not the True TMA indicator but there is a enough meaning inferred from the top indicator to show that the TMA averages are doing a pretty good job of pointing out with some accuracy where you would expect price to return to the mean or retrace. It does not mean the end of the move but a reflection on how far price has moved from the mean or center line. The Indicator on the bottom is not really showing us anything and is pretty much just showing the larger picture.

It is the end of the week and it is impossible to trade much with this setup now with the low volume but next week I will take a serious look.

Doug
Although I agree with much of what you have said Doug to dismiss it as nonsense, without having seen it in action properly, well I am not sure what to say really. As I mentioned above (and as it sounds like muuh has done) if you use this on shorter timeframes it will become more challenging to trade. It does recalculate, not to a huge degree, but enough so that looking at chart history and marking optimum entries should be treated with caution. I have seen setups that in real time looked valid change to invalid ones and vice versa on the shorter timeframes (M15/M5). I haven't seen enough to know for sure but I don't think the issue exists to anywhere near the same degree on longer timeframes.

Don't misunderstand - I think this looks really good but maybe not quite as perfect as visual backtesting would have you believe.

Cheers,
Dave.
slowkey
Trader

Post by slowkey »

spotdespot » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:18 pm wrote:
slowkey » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:05 pm wrote:

Doug
Although I agree with much of what you have said Doug to dismiss it as nonsense, without having seen it in action properly, well I am not sure what to say really. As I mentioned above (and as it sounds like muuh has done) if you use this on shorter timeframes it will become more challenging to trade. It does recalculate, not to a huge degree, but enough so that looking at chart history and marking optimum entries should be treated with caution. I have seen setups that in real time looked valid change to invalid ones and vice versa on the shorter timeframes (M15/M5). I haven't seen enough to know for sure but I don't think the issue exists to anywhere near the same degree on longer timeframes.

Don't misunderstand - I think this looks really good but maybe not quite as perfect as visual backtesting would have you believe.

Cheers,
Dave.
I have no issue with anything you have said. Forward testing will be the only way to look at this setup. However it is not meant to stand on its own. My only excitement stems from it use with HGI and how it might clarify certain signals. So HGI first and than what can this tell us possibly about what that signal means for us especially intraday.

TMA ... it is realtime and if the strength is modulating between to currencies there will be some reflection of that at the tip of the indicator.

Nonsense. Maybe a little strong will see. :xm: All joy here. :smile:

Season's Greetings,
Doug

Bob's HGI Fourm

Albert Einstein
spotdespot
Trader

Post by spotdespot »

slowkey » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:34 pm wrote:
I have no issue with anything you have said. Forward testing will be the only way to look at this setup. However it is not meant to stand on its own. My only excitement stems from it use with HGI and how it might clarify certain signals. So HGI first and than what can this tell us possibly about what that signal means for us especially intraday.

TMA ... it is realtime and if the strength is modulating between to currencies there will be some reflection of that at the tip of the indicator.

Nonsense. Maybe a little strong will see. :xm: All joy here. :smile:

Season's Greetings,
Doug
Yep - agree and that's how I have been looking at it - in conjunction with HGI signals. I have used a few TMA indicators in the past with varying degrees of success - there is something of an art to using them I think. But these don't recalculate anywhere near as much as most and for obvious reasons - they are based on 5 and 11 periods - most such as TMA bands or COG commonly use anywhere between 20 and 56 periods.

It is often very clear that a signal is good or a signal should not be taken because of the centered TMAs (and no recalculation is going to make that much difference) - it's the sometimes grey areas that we need to be careful of - when you play with it live you'll know what I mean.

Season's greetings to you too! :party:
Dave.

Return to “Nanningbob's Holy Grail Indicator forum”