Slopey Peaky Bob

SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Slopey Peaky Bob

Post by SteveHopwood »

SERIOUS WARNING
  • Most Forex traders lose all their money.
  • Using the robot posted here in trading Forex does not guarantee success.
  • Trading this robot could lead to serious financial loss.
  • Trading this robot without understanding its underlying trading strategies guarantees traders will lose their money.
  • This is not a set-and-forget ea; there is no such thing and anyone who tries to claim there is, is either stupid or lying. This ea requires frequent manual intervention.
  • At best, a trading robot is only 90% as good as the manual strategy it trades. At best. At worst, it can be much less effective. If the strategy is rubbish, so is the robot.
  • To trade this robot, you have to understand:
The "SPB core library.mqh" file
This goes in your platform's /Include folder and is an essential component. No member of the SPB tribe will work without it.

MAKE SURE YOU READ THIS POST http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... 41#p111241 There was a Forex bloodbath on Jan 15th 2015 that you need to know about.

Everything you need to know is in the user guide. Kopan has presented a version especially for US traders - http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... 104&t=5480.

I am trading this bot on my live trading accounts. Go to the end of this forum and read upwards to see how some of us are doing.

I have made some recommendations for lot sizes in relation to account size in the user guide. Be patient. Save for a decent account whilst you run SPB on demos to get a feel for how he trades. Get greedy and you will blow your account.

There are two indicators coded by Rene attached:
  • DrawClosedTrades cycles through the trades in our History tab and plots them on a chart.
  • DrawOpenTrades does the same but with open market orders.

It is possible to set up SPB to work with TDesk/Desky and TDesk-compatible indicators. The attached "Setting up SPB to work with TDesk and Desky" pdf explains how. Thomas has sent us a TDesk template to get us started - "TDesk Template - SPB Family Dashboard.tpl" - also attached. SPB needs the TDeskSignals.mqh file in your platform's /MQL4/Include folder whether you are using TDesk or not, so download it from viewtopic.php?p=163522#p163522

PROGRESS REPORTS
I have been trading SPB for more than a year. See post 2 for details.

Edit on February 26th 2022
I started to experiment a few months ago, with treating each pair as an individual basket, aiming for a basket Take Profit of 100 pips. I went live on a tiny account in Nov 2021, then on a much larger account towards the end of January 2022. Profits have accrued steadily.

I have added the set file here - SPB.set. Go to the end of this thread and you can follow the live trading results I post each week.

Edit on March 5th 2022
Those of us who have been trading SPB since the start in Feb 2018 are familiar with this scenario: our whole position goes into draw down and remains there for months on end. Eventually the pain becomes too great and we close down, taking a considerable hit. Happily most accounts remained in profit and started to grow again.

I have reached the conclusion that it is best to close all open orders before the markets close on Friday night (Saturday morning for our friends in Upside Down Land), even if this means we take a hit. We can relax over the weekend and start again on Monday.

:xm: :rocket:

Matters of general interest
Go here to download and run the script that will fill your platform's missing chart history: http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... f=15&t=254
Read this post:
http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... p?f=6&t=78 Newbie traders, read this for inspiration and warning. Those of you who have suffered losses, read it for inspiration.

Masterly summary of hedging: http://www.forexfactory.com/showthread. ... ost4977179

EA coding
I receive may requests to code EA's. Traders, if I code your EA for free, then I will share it here. If you want me to code your EA without sharing, then my fee is $100 payable into my paypal account. I explain why at http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... ?f=15&t=79, at the bottom of the post.

Useful utilities/EA's/scripts -

-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Slopey Peaky Bob

Post by SteveHopwood »

This is a live cash trading report. I am writing it on the 22nd September 2019, some 19 months after first publishing Slopey Peaky Bob. I have been trading the bot live since soon after first publishing it. I experimented with settings a lot before settling on a trading method, so my report starts from Jan 1st 2019. I have added a further report at the bottom of this post.

Here are my results since January 1st 2019 to Sep 22nd 2019. Later updates are at the end of this post:
XAUUSDDaily.png
This is not spectacular success, but it has been steady and safe. I have made a further $1,296 by manually hedging adverse pairs. I have developed a hedging method and describe it below.

Slopey Peaky Bob is the first consistently profitable EA that I have produced. Other members of the Slopey Peaky Bob tribe are looking promising on demo, but I shall talk about them elsewhere (viewtopic.php?p=168729#p168729). I am talking about live cash trading here. I have come to some conclusions:
  • DO NOT INTERFERE. Allow Slopey Peaky Bob to do his thing.
  • Enable basket trading. Be patient. A basket of trades can hang around for what feels like an ice age, then reverse and hit its profit target within minutes. I have posted an example at viewtopic.php?p=168892#p168892
  • Use conservative trade sizes.
How you trade Slopey Peaky Bob live depends on the size of your account:
  • The minimum account size for trading Slopey Peaky Bob is $1,000 USD. For a sub-$5,000 account, use the attached “1000 dollar account.set” setfile. I have not managed to blow a $1,000 starter account yet but there is still considerable danger that a really bad adverse market might cripple you. The nearer your account grows to $5,000, the more easily you can breath when drawdown starts to mount.
  • It is best to start with a deposit of $10,000, trading 0.01 lots per $10,000.
Attached are two set files:
  • 10000+ dollar account.set This is the setfile for my main, live cash trading account. This can build up baskets of over 100 trades, so use it on sub-$10,000 accounts with huge amounts of caution and doubt.
  • 1000 dollar account.set This has a greater distance between grid trades and invokes all the anti over trading filters.

Whilst saving up a decent deposit for a live cash account with Global Prime, try opening a cent account Read Gertje's post http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... 95#p168595

DRAWDOWN
You cannot trade Slopey Peaky Bob if drawdown bothers you. It is a fact of life of basket trading. There are two highly promising I-am-right-or-I-am-out versions of the Slopey Peaky Bob tribe available. Read about them in my progress report at viewtopic.php?p=168729#p168729

MY HEDGING METHOD
Here is what happens when a pair runs into difficulties, taking a buy as an example:
  • Peaky is long.
  • D1 SS is > 1.
  • Slopey Peaky Bob sends a bunch of buy stop orders and the bottom one or two fill to become market orders.
  • The market reverses and the market trades head into drawdown.
  • Slopey Peaky Bob sets fill-the-gap stop orders. Some of these fill after a brief direction change back in favour of the original trade then the market reverses again, deepening the drawdown.
I can happily ignore all this and wait for the global basket position to take care of the losers following a global profit target being hit. I am either trading in the direction of positive swap or have limited the maximum negative swap so I do not get stuck in positions costing me loads of swap.

I can also make some extra dosh on the way down. Here is how, still using the buy trades as an example:
  • I have the attached “Position Monitoring Indicator basic.mq4” indi. It goes in your platform's /Indicator folder. Make sure the magic number input matches that of Slopey Peaky Bob – 0 if you use the defaults.
  • I have the attached 9X9v1.4 TD.mq4 indi in my platform's /Indicator folder. Read about it at viewtopic.php?p=154818#p154818 but to summarise:
    • 9X9 is a scalping tool.
    • Look at the top row of figures. I am interested in the one on the far right. Buy when this is >= 200; sell when it is <= -200.
  • Then I look at the D1, H4 and H1 SS values. Once these are all <= -1, I send a sell trade equal in value to all of the buy trades.
  • I close the hedge when the H4 and H1 SS are back over +1 unless the D1 SS is still exceptionally week, and 9x9 has risen above -200; this is not an exact science. I take the hit if the trade is a loser, and move on.
The attached “Hedging template.tpl” will set up the chart for you, assuming you have Peaky , the monitoring indi and 9x9 indi in your indi folder

Here is a pic of a hedging chart:
Hedging chart.png
Imagine I had a bunch of open buy trades. I would not be considering hedging them yet because:
  • The top, right value in the 9x9 grid is only -75.
  • The D1 SS value is +2.27, indicating that GBP in the medium term is still stronger than the USD. The D1 SS is a very powerful indicator of strength.
My decisions whether to hedge or not are not entirely mechanical. Here is a zoomed out picture of the chart, turned to a line display:
Hedging chart zoomed out.png
You can see graphically why Peaky is showing four Long's. This is also a disincentive to hedging even when (if) the D1 SS falls to -1.

To our cousins in the US: you can still hedge despite the restrictions. Open a second account and send your hedge trades to the account.

CAVEAT
Just because I have enjoyed success with Slopey Peaky Bob and hedging, does not automatically mean you will.

I started trading in 2006. In the 13 years since, I have never had any success trading another trader's method, however sound-looking the method and profitable the member posting it – and the likes of Wavegarrick et al are very good. I cannot even make HGI work for me.

By contrast, I have enjoyed success once I worked out trading methods for myself. I think I know why I have failed with other traders' methods.

I have not fully understood the methods. I have not given them time to 'bed in' to my psyche, or to learn to tweak them to suit myself. I have given up too soon. By contrast, Slopey Peaky Bob is my baby. I have faith that the basic principles underlying his trading are sound and so have the patience to tweak and, above all, hang on in there when the drawdown is mounting.

You are not inside my head, and so may lack my patience and so fail with Slopey Peaky Bob. Good luck.

Latest progress reports
Jan 1st 2019 to Dec 24th 2019
XAUUSDH1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

bishopdotun
Trader

Slopey Peaky Bob

Post by bishopdotun »

SPB is rocking.
Wavegarrick
Trader

Slopey Peaky Bob

Post by Wavegarrick »

SPB is rocking.
Excellent results across the board for you...Well done Bishopdotun :clap:
bishopdotun
Trader

Slopey Peaky Bob

Post by bishopdotun »

SPB continues the ride.
SteveHopwood
Owner

Slopey Peaky Bob

Post by SteveHopwood »

luke sent me a pm this morning highlighting a bloop in the code. It affects those of you aiming for a pips target (IndividualBasketTargetPips) trading each pair as a basket. This is fixed in 1a in post 1.

Classy people, here is the DIY:
  • Do a search for "pips = CalculateTradeProfitInPips(OrderType());" and bookmark that line of code.
  • Do a search for "PipsUpl[PairIndex]+= pips;". It is just a few lines down.
  • Delete that line of code.
  • Replace it underneath the line of code you bookmarked.
The code block will look like this:

Code: Select all

if (OrderType() < 2)
      {
         pips = CalculateTradeProfitInPips(OrderType());
         PipsUpl[PairIndex]+= pips;
         CashUpl[PairIndex]+= (OrderProfit() + OrderSwap() + OrderCommission()); 
         MarketTradesTotal++;
There are some redundant counting variables that you can remove if you are feeling adventurous.
  • Do a search for "double BuyPipsUpl=0;"
    • Delete it.
    • Also delete "double BuyCashUpl=0;".
    • Press the F7 key to recompile.
    • Double click on the error messages to take the cursor to the offending lines and delete them. Recompile each time you delete or the cursor will go to where the editor thinks the remaining errors still are, but they will have moved.
  • Repeat this process with "double SellPipsUpl=0;" and "double SellCashUpl=0;"
:xm:

bishopdotun
Trader

Slopey Peaky Bob

Post by bishopdotun »

End of W1

OOTB Settings with ATR 30%
SPB - W1.png
Wavegarrick
Trader

Slopey Peaky Bob

Post by Wavegarrick »

SPB - W1.png
It just does not gel for me, 20 000 pips in a week?. Am I missing something and if I do, I apologise :shock:

Cheers
Leon
bishopdotun
Trader

Slopey Peaky Bob

Post by bishopdotun »

Wavegarrick » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:51 pm wrote:

SPB - W1.png
It just does not gel for me, 20 000 pips in a week?. Am I missing something and if I do, I apologise :shock:

Cheers
Leon
Drop one of the zeros.

It is a 5 digit broker problem. criminals.
SteveHopwood
Owner

Slopey Peaky Bob

Post by SteveHopwood »

Peaky is the runaway winner so far in my Slopey family test. http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... 104&t=5402

Return to “Super Slope EA's”