Bar size alert indicator

taurus007
Trader

Bar size alert indicator

Post by taurus007 »

I am looking for an indicator that plays a sound and/or sends an email (better both) if the size of the bar on the current timeframe exceeds a certain number of pips. Another option would be also a visual alert, but I think it is less convenient, I would keep it off anyway.

I am surprised as I searched multiple forums with no success, I am sure it exists somewhere. There are tons of other options with bands, MAs, bolinger bands and other stuff available but not a single indicator based just on a candle size, at least I could not find one.

Again, I am sure it does exist somewhere, I cannot believe this simple idea has never been used by someone else before.

I found a couple of tools that are doing it with dozens of lines of inputs - they are so complex that would slow down the computer...

The inputs I imagine are just 3-4 lines: candle size, sound alert on/off, and email notification on/off.

Anyway, if anybody knows of such a tool I would be very thankful if you would copy it here or provide a link. I am sure it would not require a new coding as I refuse to believe that it's never been done before.
billv
Trader

Bar size alert indicator

Post by billv »

Hello Mr T :hi:
See if this is of any help.
Some years back I came across an indicator which printed bar size on the chart, had alerts and which had the ability to only print bar size above a certain number of pips.
This can be helpful if you are looking to trade after a certain number of big bars.

From memory, I believe it prints the number of pips on both sides of the bar or something like that but you can hide the text on 1 or both sides of the bar by making the text colour the same as your chart's background.
All the best.
Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
taurus007
Trader

Bar size alert indicator

Post by taurus007 »

Thank you Bill.

I think it is doing something else - it is reacting to every candle larger than the size you set in the 'MinimumBarSize' parameter so the whole logic is almost opposite to what I am looking for. Redoing the logic is pretty much coding it by myself from the scratch and I am not good at that, unfortunately, otherwise I would not be asking.

Thanks again for trying.

Cheers.
billv
Trader

Bar size alert indicator

Post by billv »

taurus007 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:11 am wrote:Thank you Bill.

I think it is doing something else - it is reacting to every candle larger than the size you set in the 'MinimumBarSize' parameter so the whole logic is almost opposite to what I am looking for. Redoing the logic is pretty much coding it by myself from the scratch and I am not good at that, unfortunately, otherwise I would not be asking.

Thanks again for trying.

Cheers.
Doesn't it provide you with an alert when you set your " certain number of pips" in the input MinimumBarSize?
Anyway find a different trading approach, in my opinion this information won't help you much in your trading.
Have a good Christmas
eRIKb81
Trader

Bar size alert indicator

Post by eRIKb81 »

The logic is
if (absolute(high minus low) > input pip value) send alert.

Read the Empty4 manual on indicators, try to code it, i'm happy to correct you on mistakes, but you should at least try it yourself.

You may find that it's not very usefull to put in a hard pip value, but that is another discussion.
taurus007
Trader

Bar size alert indicator

Post by taurus007 »

Thank you eRIKb81. I will go into coding seriously but at a later date according to my plan. May ask you for help then.
JonCodesBad
Trader

Bar size alert indicator

Post by JonCodesBad »

I'm intrigued, what's the purpose of the indi?

It sounds the easiest of things to code.
taurus007
Trader

Bar size alert indicator

Post by taurus007 »

Well, obviously, the goal is to catch the increased candle size without monitoring the computer. In particular on 1 min the increased candles are the direct evidence that the algo kicked in. From there on you can deal with it in multiple ways, depending on your trading style and knowledge.

The increased candles size is a very reliable signal to get back to the computer, in my book.

If it really easy to code maybe you could do it? An email and a sound alarm, or better both, would be the ideal calls back from the computer to avoid monitoring 1 min chart.

As I posted above, I will go into coding very deep later as I would like to code few EAs for my portfolio but I am eating that elephant one piece at a time. Not that I am lazy but learning the coding will take all my time for a long period as I've never done it before. I don't have that time right now.
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Bar size alert indicator

Post by SteveHopwood »

I don't have that time right now.
Then shut up until you do.

A couple of highly competent coders have already offered you help. Your moronic replies have rendered them helpless.

Competent coders, this was not your fault. Thanks for trying to help. The OP is an idiot who is way beyond helping.

OP, post like this again and I will remove your ability to post at all. I am one of the more kindly here.

Sometimes.

The more lethal of my moderators will remove you altogether.

Capiche, dimwit?

This idiotic thread is now locked.
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.

Return to “Indicators”