Old Moving Day

SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Old Moving Day

Post by SteveHopwood »

SERIOUS WARNING
  • Most Forex traders lose all their money.
  • Using the robot posted here in trading Forex does not guarantee success.
  • Trading this robot could lead to serious financial loss.
  • Trading this robot without understanding its underlying trading strategies guarantees traders will lose their money.
  • This is not a set-and-forget ea; there is no such thing and anyone who tries to claim there is, is either stupid or lying. This ea requires frequent manual intervention.
  • At best, a trading robot is only 90% as good as the manual strategy it trades. At best. At worst, it can be much less effective. If the strategy is rubbish, so is the robot.
  • To trade this robot, you have to understand:
    • How to use EA's.
    • Moving averages
MAKE SURE YOU READ THIS POST http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... 41#p111241 There was a Forex bloodbath on Jan 15th 2015 that you need to know about.

I wanted a chart pic to illustrate a cross of a moving average whilst writing my getting started from scratch guide (viewtopic.php?p=169343#p169343). I opened a D1 chart and dragged a 20 period exponential moving average onto it, then saved the chart as a picture for the guide.

I noticed how often the market continued in the direction of the cross, often for some considerable time. Not every time, but often. Here are some examples:
AUDNZDDaily.png
GBPJPYDaily.png
EURUSDDaily.png
Moving Day is a multi-pair EA that exploits this feature. It:
  • Trades long after a cross from below on the TradingTimeFrame candle i.e.
    • The candle two candles ago closed below the moving average.
    • The candle one candle ago closed above the moving average.
Vice versa for a sell. I have been using the H1 to trigger trades.

Trade closure is:
  • Hitting a take profit point. I am using 150 pips.
  • A recross of the moving average in the opposite direction. This also triggers an opposite direction trade.
  • Hitting an emergency or trailing stop loss.
  • You can play with take profit and stop loss calculated by ATR. I think this is unnecessary but added it after a request from one of our members.
All action takes place at the open of each new TradingTimeFrame candle (H1 by default).

There has been a glitch in the original trade closure code and I could not persuade it to work. MD was not closing orders following a recross, leaving losing trades to eventually hit their stop loss and losing much more heavily than they should have. I have moved the code to directly after the moving average is read in readIndicatorValues() but have yet to see it in action. Keep an eye on your demo and close trades manually if MD still fails.

Progress has been good even with these glitches. The starting balance of $20,000 is now $21,411. The equity is just shy of $24,000 at the time of writing. I turned on sending results to the fxtestify database yesterday. There are not going to be a lot of trades, so I am trading 1 lot order sizes.

The bot's engine is Slopey Peaky Bob without Slope and Peaky, so download SPB's user guide if you want to check up on the inputs. This D1 moving average looks like a helpful filter for those members of the SPB tribe that are single traders - Candle Power for example. Only go long when the market is above the MA, and short when below.

Enjoy.

:xm: :rocket:

Edit 16th Feb 2020
Those of you wanting to demo smaller account deposits that would match your live trading can do so by dividing my lot size. I am taking 1 lot trades, so you would mirror this with 0.1 on a $2,000 account and 0.05 on a $1,000 account.

Edit 26th Feb 2020
I have adopted the stop order idea suggested by guptabhk. Read his post and my reply at viewtopic.php?p=169597#p169597

Matters of general interest
Go here to download and run the script that will fill your platform's missing chart history: http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... f=15&t=254
Read this post:
http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... p?f=6&t=78 Newbie traders, read this for inspiration and warning. Those of you who have suffered losses, read it for inspiration.

Masterly summary of hedging: http://www.forexfactory.com/showthread. ... ost4977179

EA coding
I receive may requests to code EA's. Traders, if I code your EA for free, then I will share it here. If you want me to code your EA without sharing, then my fee is $100 payable into my paypal account. I explain why at http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... ?f=15&t=79, at the bottom of the post.

Useful utilities/EA's/scripts -

-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
trader689
Trader

Moving Day

Post by trader689 »

Great thanks Steve, looks like a nice combination of brilliant simplicity and higher timeframe stability. Will set up a demo and report back

Trader
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Moving Day

Post by SteveHopwood »

I posted some duff information in post 1 and have rewritten it. I am using a cross of the 20 period D1 EMA on the TradingTimeFrame candle - defaults to H1. All action takes place at the open of each new TradingTimeFrame candle.

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

SteveHopwood
Owner

Moving Day

Post by SteveHopwood »

Here is a pic to whet your appetites:
Capture.PNG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

trader689
Trader

Moving Day

Post by trader689 »

wow...already whetted appetite now turbo whetted :good: :cheer:

thanks steve
SteveHopwood » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:09 pm wrote:Here is a pic to whet your appetites:

SteveHopwood
Owner

Moving Day

Post by SteveHopwood »

trader689 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:40 pm wrote:wow...already whetted appetite now turbo whetted :good: :cheer:

thanks steve
SteveHopwood » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:09 pm wrote:Here is a pic to whet your appetites:

It helped a lot that the markets that MD traded moved a decent distance in favour of the trades. It remains to be seen how much damage is done when the market dances around the moving average rather than move away from it. The pics in post one, and on any chart you care to drag the moving average onto, show these periods.

Time will tell. At the very least, we appear to have stumbled on a half-way decent trade direction filter. I have added the filter to Candle Power and will post tomorrow.

I might simply be reinventing the wheel here - a 20 period D1 cannot be far off Bob's 1 period MN1 given that there are c. 20 trading days per month. This one is my wheel though, so I am sticking to laying claim to it. :lol:

Vokin
Trader

Moving Day

Post by Vokin »

Nice toy Steve,
traditional and simple system.
It wouldn't be better for setup SL and TP use ATR percent as you have in TDTradingPartner?
Regards V.
SteveHopwood
Owner

Moving Day

Post by SteveHopwood »

Vokin » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:15 pm wrote:Nice toy Steve,
traditional and simple system.
It wouldn't be better for setup SL and TP use ATR percent as you have in TDTradingPartner?
No idea, but I will add the feature so you guys can play with it.

SteveHopwood
Owner

Moving Day

Post by SteveHopwood »

I have added ATR so you folks can play with it for tpsl. I have moved all the TPSL stuff to its own section. You will find DTR there, fully configurable.

I wondered how expensive it would be when a market is criss-crossing the moving average. It costs a lot but these losses are easily covered by markets that cooperate. The demo balance is currently $22,327 (initial deposit $20,000) whilst the equity is $25,205.

Live, I am not sure I would not have closed the position on Friday and banked the profits. A 25% balance increase in under two months is not to be ignored. It is a demo account and I want to see how things play out, so I am leaving MD to close trades that do not reach TP.

Those of you wanting to demo smaller account deposits that would match your live trading can do so by dividing my lot size. I am taking 1 lot trades, so you would mirror this with 0.1 on a $2,000 account and 0.05 on a $1,000 account.

trader689
Trader

Moving Day

Post by trader689 »

hey Steve

just wanted to add my $0.02 to chime in and say that Moving Day has made a great start on demo for me last week. Although I am (being somewhat uncharacteristically cautious) trading it at 0.05 lots on a £3k global prime demo. Reassuring to know that your demo has weathered the inevitable periods of whipsaw and come out fighting.

thanks again,

trader

Return to “Automated trading systems”