Can anyone recommend a Simulator for backtesting EA's?

wingate
Trader

Post by wingate »

Hi,

As per title I am looking for a good simulator capable of backtesting EA's. I have searched the internet but have not found anything, I am running an Empty4 account on a Mac (Global Prime). Any suggestions?

Many thanks.
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Post by SteveHopwood »

wingate » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:27 pm wrote:Hi,

As per title I am looking for a good simulator capable of backtesting EA's. I have searched the internet but have not found anything, I am running an Empty4 account on a Mac (Global Prime). Any suggestions?

Many thanks.
I have yet to find one, or meet anyone who has. This is not surprising.

I detail the reasons why Empty4 backtesting does not work at viewtopic.php?p=108983#p108983. You may be familiar with all this.

One of the problems with solving the Empty4 limitations is the size of files that would need to be generated in order to do so. I am no expert in this respect, but imagine that your average, or even supreme, home machine could not cope with them.

And that is before we start to consider the number of markets we can trade......on 8 time frames.....

My computer is starting to faint merely thinking about this. And it is a pretty damn fine example of its breed. :lol:

Even if we had the machines to cope with all the required data, nobody is going to go back in time and insert the missing data into what we already have. That would be an impossible task.

Forget backtesting. It is not going to be a reliable source of testing trading strategies any time soon. Most likely, never until we have the capacity to store every bit of data we need to do so accurately. Even then, you want 20 years of data to work with? You will have to wait 20 years for the data to be gathered. I am 69. I am hoping to have that long but there are a distinct shortage of guarantees of this.

:xm: :rocket:
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
Bottomdollar

Post by Bottomdollar »

I know this is an old post but I bought this and use it to test manual trading. It plugs into Empty4
https://soft4fx.com/software/forex-simulator.php
Trading Systems - Backtests, Optimizations and Download
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1JjydyWRyb
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Post by SteveHopwood »

Bottomdollar » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:32 pm wrote:I know this is an old post but I bought this and use it to test manual trading. It plugs into Empty4
https://soft4fx.com/software/forex-simulator.php
Does it overcome the Empty4 lack of swap and spread data? It has promise if so.

:xm: :rocket:
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
wingate
Trader

Post by wingate »

Hi,

Thank you for the replies. Sort of given up on that idea :arrrg:

Thanks again.
techwormi

Post by techwormi »

Finding good simulator is tough, have also need one :lol: please do share when you find one
tomele
Administrator

Post by tomele »

I am using MT5.
Happy pippin, Thomas :-BD

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
(Mark Twain)

Keep the coder going: Donate

Return to “General Forex Discussion”