FX VPS - Cheaper and faster than the rest!

Add you VPS promotions here
eaymon
Trader

Post by eaymon »

c1borg » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:44 am wrote:Thanks for the info im in 2 minds but I had an attack on my VPS last year (not your fault btw) and because I use Dropbox it got into there. I think you might be right I could remove Dropbox and copy essential files regularly onto my home system which is protected, hadn't thought of that approach.

Cheers Eaymon :clap:

Actually ive found this didn't know what was available :)
https://blog.dropbox.com/topics/product ... box-rewind

you do have some options for copying files back and forth from your VPS and PC

https://fxvps.biz/members/index.php?rp= ... puter.html

https://fxvps.biz/members/index.php?rp= ... S-RDP.html
c1borg
Trader

Post by c1borg »

Thanks will look into that but I use Dropbox for other stuff aswell so might aswell use it
tomele
Administrator

Post by tomele »

Hi all.

A little useful tool for VPS users can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6020&p=172266#p172266
Happy pippin, Thomas :-BD

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
(Mark Twain)

Keep the coder going: Donate
VirtualFM
Trader

Post by VirtualFM »

Hi!

I'm on the hunt for a new VPS service and I spent 2€ to try this one for 7 days since everyone seems to be so happy with it.

My main question is... WHY?! Why are you guys so happy with it? What differences did you find it to have over the others?

I'm no strange to VPSs... As a Global Prime client I used both of those they have deals with: Beeks and ForexVPS. I always had problems with them: not enough memory for anything useful and very sluggish in operation (mainly transferring files, the CPU speed was OKish).

I figured that was a problem with being a deal and then ended up paying anyway because I didn't trade the minimum monthly Lots and I figured that if I was to pay anyway I would try other VPS.

So, now, after I tried FXVPS for a couple days I wonder... What the hell?!?!

In first place:

The minimum service has 1GB of RAM? Really? I don't need humongous GB of RAM for this, but seriously, last time I had 1GB of RAM on my own computer it was in 2002! Nowadays I have 64GB and am always begging for more.

I don't understand how you say you can use 2 or 3 Empty4 terminals with that kind of plan. If you use only a couple charts at a time, sure, it's feasible, but try to analise the whole 28 charts and you're in for a treat... not even counting with indicators and EAs to the mix...

You may say "Hey, you can get a 2GB or 4GB plan!". Right, but for the same minimum price, around $20, a lot of other VPS services have a minimum of 2GB of RAM. Heck, I've seen plans at $13/Month with 2GB and 2 CPU cores around.

So my point it: It doesn't sound cheaper. And again: 1GB of RAM? Get serious!

In second place, speed:

OK, the ping to the broker servers are awesome. Fine. But what transferring files between my computer and the VPS? Truth be told, never had any great speed while working with Beeks or ForexVPS, but I had tons of other Remote Desktop Connections with other computers and everything is more snappy. Changing directory in Windows Explorer takes its time! Trying to copy Indicators from my computer to the VPS, with a file list of 250+ indicators (500+ files because of the executables) takes forever to update the listing.

It's not my connection. I have fiber, 200/100 Mbps. Like I said, all works pretty well with other Remote Desktop connection. So why can't I even refresh Windows Explorer when access my computer without spending several minutes? Anyway, this might be a problem generic to all VPSs, and maybe that Dropbox shared solution is better in these cases to transfer and update files...

But still, all in all, didn't see anything special about this either technically or economically speaking. What am I missing?
---
TLDR; What's the fuss about this VPS service? 1GB of RAM is nothing and doesn't allow to do anything useful. Access to my own computer (copying files) is a nightmare of sluggishness. I've seen many more VPS plans with better "base package" specs and, sometimes, cheaper.
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Post by SteveHopwood »

VirtualFM » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:25 am wrote:Hi!

I'm on the hunt for a new VPS service and I spent 2€ to try this one for 7 days since everyone seems to be so happy with it.

My main question is... WHY?! Why are you guys so happy with it? What differences did you find it to have over the others?

I'm no strange to VPSs... As a Global Prime client I used both of those they have deals with: Beeks and ForexVPS. I always had problems with them: not enough memory for anything useful and very sluggish in operation (mainly transferring files, the CPU speed was OKish).

I figured that was a problem with being a deal and then ended up paying anyway because I didn't trade the minimum monthly Lots and I figured that if I was to pay anyway I would try other VPS.

So, now, after I tried FXVPS for a couple days I wonder... What the hell?!?!

In first place:

The minimum service has 1GB of RAM? Really? I don't need humongous GB of RAM for this, but seriously, last time I had 1GB of RAM on my own computer it was in 2002! Nowadays I have 64GB and am always begging for more.

I don't understand how you say you can use 2 or 3 Empty4 terminals with that kind of plan. If you use only a couple charts at a time, sure, it's feasible, but try to analise the whole 28 charts and you'Ire in for a treat... not even counting with indicators and EAs to the mix...

You may say "Hey, you can get a 2GB or 4GB plan!". Right, but for the same minimum price, around $20, a lot of other VPS services have a minimum of 2GB of RAM. Heck, I've seen plans at $13/Month with 2GB and 2 CPU cores around.

So my point it: It doesn't sound cheaper. And again: 1GB of RAM? Get serious!

In second place, speed:

OK, the ping to the broker servers are awesome. Fine. But what transferring files between my computer and the VPS? Truth be told, never had any great speed while working with Beeks or ForexVPS, but I had tons of other Remote Desktop Connections with other computers and everything is more snappy. Changing directory in Windows Explorer takes its time! Trying to copy Indicators from my computer to the VPS, with a file list of 250+ indicators (500+ files because of the executables) takes forever to update the listing.

It's not my connection. I have fiber, 200/100 Mbps. Like I said, all works pretty well with other Remote Desktop connection. So why can't I even refresh Windows Explorer when access my computer without spending several minutes? Anyway, this might be a problem generic to all VPSs, and maybe that Dropbox shared solution is better in these cases to transfer and update files...

But still, all in all, didn't see anything special about this either technically or economically speaking. What am I missing?
---
TLDR; What's the fuss about this VPS service? 1GB of RAM is nothing and doesn't allow to do anything useful. Access to my own computer (copying files) is a nightmare of sluggishness. I've seen many more VPS plans with better "base package" specs and, sometimes, cheaper.
I neither know nor care what your beef is here but I can tell you this. FX VPS is fantastic. Guess why? I pay for the best package.

Month after month.

Shut up or get banned. I cannot be arsed to explain why. Regular members understand.

:xm: :rocket:
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
VirtualFM
Trader

Post by VirtualFM »

Shut up or get banned. I cannot be arsed to explain why. Regular members understand.
Hello Steve,

First things first: If you care to check, I am a regular member. Maybe not so active in the last few years, maybe just a couple posts per year, but I'm a member of this community since you created it in late 2011 (notice I know YOU created it!). So I know you boil in shallow water (or whatever you can translate that saying to English) and I managed to not be threatened with a ban for 11 years, as there was never a reason for it. Which leads me to the second thing...

There is still no need to threat to shut up or getting banned, as this is a serious and legitimate question.

I'm not sure you understood my question so I summarize it again:
- based on my last 6 years experience with other VPS services, I did not see anything different in terms of speed improvement, so there must not be it
- if you think 1GB of RAM as a base package is enough, great. For me it's ridiculous that in this day and age 1GB is offered as base in a professional field, specially when other VPS services offer 2GB as base package for less money.
- you may argue that there are 2GB and 4GB plans available, but looking around there are way better packages for the same equivalent price.

So something should be better at this server than the others, right? So what is it? Is it the user service? Some tools to manage the account? I don't have a "beef" with anything, just want to understand what makes you think, based on your and everyone else's large experience with VPS services, this one stands out of the competition in such great manner.

Answering "because I said so" or "because I use it and I only use the best" is an answer but doesn't really answer any of my doubts. If you ask me which browser is the best I will reply "Opera is the best for me!" and I can give you the reasons why in comparison with Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari (Vivaldi is getting closer to being great as well).

Anyway, if anyone has anything else to say, great, if not, well, I need to make a decision this week because I cannot keep trading locally with EAs as there is a high chance of power shortage because of storms, and FXVPS is not exactly ahead in my list of potential providers for now.

Thank you for reading,
eaymon
Trader

Post by eaymon »

VirtualFM » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:15 am wrote:
Hello Steve,

First things first: If you care to check, I am a regular member. Maybe not so active in the last few years, maybe just a couple posts per year, but I'm a member of this community since you created it in late 2011 (notice I know YOU created it!). So I know you boil in shallow water (or whatever you can translate that saying to English) and I managed to not be threatened with a ban for 11 years, as there was never a reason for it. Which leads me to the second thing...

There is still no need to threat to shut up or getting banned, as this is a serious and legitimate question.

I'm not sure you understood my question so I summarize it again:
- based on my last 6 years experience with other VPS services, I did not see anything different in terms of speed improvement, so there must not be it
- if you think 1GB of RAM as a base package is enough, great. For me it's ridiculous that in this day and age 1GB is offered as base in a professional field, specially when other VPS services offer 2GB as base package for less money.
- you may argue that there are 2GB and 4GB plans available, but looking around there are way better packages for the same equivalent price.

So something should be better at this server than the others, right? So what is it? Is it the user service? Some tools to manage the account? I don't have a "beef" with anything, just want to understand what makes you think, based on your and everyone else's large experience with VPS services, this one stands out of the competition in such great manner.

Answering "because I said so" or "because I use it and I only use the best" is an answer but doesn't really answer any of my doubts. If you ask me which browser is the best I will reply "Opera is the best for me!" and I can give you the reasons why in comparison with Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari (Vivaldi is getting closer to being great as well).

Anyway, if anyone has anything else to say, great, if not, well, I need to make a decision this week because I cannot keep trading locally with EAs as there is a high chance of power shortage because of storms, and FXVPS is not exactly ahead in my list of potential providers for now.

Thank you for reading,
Sorry... not sure how I missed this..

thanks for your feedback and i'll try to address everything.
if you think 1GB of RAM as a base package is enough, great

I have had 10's of thousands of customers come through FXVPS and 90% of them still purchase the 1gb package.
most people need to run 1-4 Empty4 accounts and this works perfectly for them even with todays resource expectation. I still use this for trade copying, coding and live accounts.

If you know anything about Empty4 by itself it takes 50-100mb. I've loaded 6-7 indicators and have all pairs loaded with 3 timeframes and at most its 500mb. 1 gig or 20 gig's isnt going to make a difference. Empty4's drawback isn't memory its the CPU. It can only ever run on one core.
Most VPS providers sell you on 8 cores but they are using crappy hardware or splitting a physical server so many times that there is next to nothing left for you.
specially when other VPS services offer 2GB as base package for less money.
i've just checked the top 5 on myfxbook along with fxvm.net and forexvps.net(not even going to bother with beeks) and here is what I saw:
  • For all but one I am cheaper or on par for pricing
  • the cheaper one offers differences in CPU meaning its slower processing of Empty4 trades anything less than 2Ghz cpu is insane.
  • If they don't offer windows 2012 you HAVE to use 2gb the OS itself consumes nearly 90% of it. (what a waste if you ask me)
  • some of them offer 99.95% uptime... or Tier 4 datacenter which in this day in age is nuts. It means they can restart the server or have weak networking hardware with no failovers
  • or they dont specify where your server is.
if you are comparing with budget VPS (non Forex related) here are some point to consider:
  • It's not optimized for Empty4
  • They don't use the same datacenters as forex brokers. (lower latency, dropped network packets)
  • budget/ low quality hardware
  • CPU split so many times to make more.
Also our support is trained and is used to fielding questions about Empty4/mt5 and trading in general.

please message me directly or my support team for further questions if you have any.

Return to “VPS promotions”