Slopey Peaky Bob

dclayw
Trader

Slopey Peaky Bob

Post by dclayw »

TonkaTuff » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:52 am wrote:I have a VPS I can spin up 4-6 MT instances if you need any extra testers for fxtestify?

Cheers,
TT.
Sorry been swamped by my day job and have just got back to this. Thanks for the offer of VPS space but I'm all good for the moment thanks.

@Steve I also found a slight glitch in the code. At line 4408 in SPB core library. We need to use pip factor, so changed to this:

Code: Select all

IndividualBasketTargetPips = (int) (atrVal * factor * (TpPercentOfAtrToUse / 100) );
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Slopey Peaky Bob

Post by SteveHopwood »

dclayw » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:08 am wrote: @Steve I also found a slight glitch in the code. At line 4408 in SPB core library. We need to use pip factor, so changed to this:

Code: Select all

IndividualBasketTargetPips = (int) (atrVal * factor * (TpPercentOfAtrToUse / 100) );
Great spot. Thanks. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have uploaded the fix to post 1. It is a simple DIY. Line 4408 will be this:
IndividualBasketTargetPips = (int) (atrVal * (TpPercentOfAtrToUse / 100) );

Do a search for the code if your line is dififerent. Replace it with:

After posting, I decidied to add an extra pair of brackets i.e.
IndividualBasketTargetPips = (int) ((atrVal * factor) * (TpPercentOfAtrToUse / 100) );

Remember to recompile Slopey Peaky Bob Latest Version not the .mqh file, or the list of errors will make you jump.

:xm: :rocket:
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
acostafulano
Trader

Slopey Peaky Bob

Post by acostafulano »

Last edited by acostafulano on Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
dclayw
Trader

Slopey Peaky Bob

Post by dclayw »

@acostafulano you raise some interesting points there with your testing.

I did not look closely into your problem and I'm guessing you know better then me as you've been testing this for a long time, but I'd question the strategy of running baskets indefinitely no matter what. At some point you will get into very deep water and likely blow the account. That could either be due to adverse market conditions including black swan type events, or just something happening with the EA, or the broker, or the platform or whatever. Too much risk in having very deep draw down positions open forever with the hope that one day it will come back. While it will very likely come back at some point things can go horribly wrong while you're waiting for that TP, as you have already seen with your example.

You're also running an older version of the EA which is bound to have bugs in it, perhaps a bug that will contribute to blowing the account one day, who knows. I also learned a very long time ago never to fight the Super Slope indicator. If it changes to opposite colour then get out, but I do use settings so that it does not change very often. Anyway, my 2c.
acostafulano
Trader

Slopey Peaky Bob

Post by acostafulano »

When I said "indefinitely" I was referring more to EA logic, not to my actual trading strategy.

In practice, if things go sour (as it happened to me at one point in which I reached drawdowns as high as to take me to 600-700% available margin, I do start intervening, closing baskets manually, stop trading pairs, etc. This has happened only 2-3 times over a year because I have been able to control DD and margin at acceptable levels to me for the most part.
I just don't want the EA to make that call for me. (Which is why I'm asking for help to the forum).

dclayw » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:08 pm wrote:@acostafulano you raise some interesting points there with your testing.

I did not look closely into your problem and I'm guessing you know better then me as you've been testing this for a long time, but I'd question the strategy of running baskets indefinitely no matter what. At some point you will get into very deep water and likely blow the account. That could either be due to adverse market conditions including black swan type events, or just something happening with the EA, or the broker, or the platform or whatever. Too much risk in having very deep draw down positions open forever with the hope that one day it will come back. While it will very likely come back at some point things can go horribly wrong while you're waiting for that TP, as you have already seen with your example.

You're also running an older version of the EA which is bound to have bugs in it, perhaps a bug that will contribute to blowing the account one day, who knows. I also learned a very long time ago never to fight the Super Slope indicator. If it changes to opposite colour then get out, but I do use settings so that it does not change very often. Anyway, my 2c.
telaso
Trader

Slopey Peaky Bob

Post by telaso »

SteveHopwood » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:25 pm wrote:Thomas and I reached the same conclusions pretty much simultaneously.

Our conclusions are:
  • Timing is everything. Start taking trades at the right time and everything is fine and dandy. Hit a 'leaky toilet' market though, and SPB gets killed.
  • This is not a safe EA.

Newbie in the field. Hope did not ask something stupid...
Very bad news after so long times of hopes...What is the next move/the next way to look for?
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Slopey Peaky Bob

Post by SteveHopwood »

I set up a demo to trade individual pairs as a basket, with each pair shooting for a target of 100 pips. Here are the first three weeks of trading:
XAUUSDDaily.png
Here are the login details if you want to follow along:
Login: 2253567
Investor: czb5vhg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

Gertje
Trader

Slopey Peaky Bob

Post by Gertje »

SteveHopwood » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:25 pm wrote:Thomas and I reached the same conclusions pretty much simultaneously.

Do a quick detour to this post to read about the doubling of the account balance: viewtopic.php?p=170033#p170033

I had a second demo running; that also doubled in size, so I had two accounts doubling from $10,000 to 20,000 plus.

Both demos gradually accrued huge positions over the succeeding 12 months, positions that did nothing more than cost vast amounts of swap costs. I finally got fed up a few weeks ago and closed them both.

This still left an excellent profit with balances at $11,750 and $11,634 respectively. We would be hard put to make these returns leaving the money in a savings account.

On the other hand, the positions would have blown a $10,000 account had I started the demos on April 20th 2020.

Our conclusions are:
  • Timing is everything. Start taking trades at the right time and everything is fine and dandy. Hit a 'leaky toilet' market though, and SPB gets killed.
  • This is not a safe EA.
For those of you unfamiliar with the term, a 'leaky toilet' market is nanningbob's description of a market that moves slowly but inexorable against our trades, i.e. falls against buys. The retraces are brief and not large enough to allow orders to be closed without loss.

The two demos are still running and one has already closed a basket. I shall leave them running.

I had the same experience, ended up giving back $16.838 profit when cancelling all trades on the live account after the balance reached the break-even point.
Was able to walk away with $1.000 profit after 3 years 'hard work".
I pulled the money from the account, and will wait what the future will bring.
Strange days...... :arrrg:
SteveHopwood
Owner

Slopey Peaky Bob

Post by SteveHopwood »

Progress report on the individual pair as a basket with a tp of 100 pips:

Last week:
Last week.png
Cumulative:
Cumulative.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

trader689
Trader

Slopey Peaky Bob

Post by trader689 »

Looking very good

trader

Return to “Super Slope EA's”