Monthly trading

SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Monthly trading

Post by SteveHopwood »

This thread arises from my experiments with trading each week in the direction of the previous week (viewtopic.php?p=173257#p173257). They were all failures. At the same time I tried trading the same way but on the monthly charts.

November was a loser. December and January were profitable. The jury was still out on February at the time of writing. It was profitable ultimately..

Here is the gig:
  • Early on in the month, send a trade in the direction of travel during the previous month so long as that direction accords with Bob's moving average (details below).
  • Close down at the end of the month definitely, or earlier at a chosen profit target.
  • Rinse and repeat.

Here are the details of the demo for you to follow:
Login: 2793328
Investor: NXum0endhU

I have come to the conclusion that it is probably a good idea to close down when profits reach a pre-determined level, if ever they do, so I am using my Simplest Ever Basket Manager to achieve this.

There are some software attachments:
  • Send trades in monthly direction script: go on, take a guess. I talk about Bob's moving average filter further down.
  • UPL highlow indi: keeps track of the highest and lowest cash UPL of the position, so we can see where these went.
  • Global variable deletion script: UPL hilo indi keeps track of the highest/lowest by saving the values to Global Variables. These are small files saved to the platform and need deleting when we open a fresh position. The script achieves this.
  • Simplest basket manager ever: load it onto a blank chart (Blank.tpl) set your cash profit target, sit back and let it do its job.
  • Monthly trading indicator: This is not part of the trading; I wrote it merely to confirm that the order sending script was working properly. There are three columns:
    • The list of pairs you are monitoring.
    • The direction of travel of the previous candle.
    • The trading direction indicated by Bob's optional moving average filter.
  • Position monitoring indicator basic: this shows the progress (or otherwise) of individual pairs. Set up a chart as you like it then add the indi. Whenever you want to examine an individual pair, then drag the order from open trades window onto the chart and it will automatically change to that pair.
Bob's optional moving average filter is something that nanningbob introduced to us in the early days of this forum. Bob isn't around much these days but his influence is felt throughout, most visibly in HGI and Super Slope that he conceived and got brilliant coders to create the software.

Bob taught us that prices on the monthly chart rarely change direction to form a trend in the opposite direction. As I recall, he wanted to use a 1 period MN1 moving average. 1 period MA was not available at the time, so he devised an emulation by creating a 240 period H4 MA:
  • Market is above the MA: buy only.
  • Market is below the MA: sell only.
You will see the option to use Bob's MA filter in the order sending script and the monthly direction indi. It is enabled by default.

I reckon it will be 12 months before we can come to any firm conclusions unless we instantly hit a run of losses. We shall see.

:xm: :rocket:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Monthly trading

Post by SteveHopwood »

Closed down for February:
Monthly original last month.png
There are two trades for each pair because of my balls up with MPTM. I opened a second basket to emulate what would have happened without the error.

Since starting the demo in November:
Monthly original cumulative.png
FYI, I uploaded the wrong order sending script originally. I have replaced it with the correct one.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

SteveHopwood
Owner

Monthly trading

Post by SteveHopwood »

I have added login details for the three demo accounts, to post 1; I was able to send the orders within seconds of one another.

The account shooting for $2,000 (0.1 lots) without Bob's moving average has already hit its target and the basket manager closed all the orders. The account shooting for $1,000 and using Bob's filter has also hit its TP.

Looking good so far.

SteveHopwood
Owner

Monthly trading

Post by SteveHopwood »

All three of the new accounts have hit their TP. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

It is going to be dull for the rest of the month. :arrrg: Hey ho.

Aspirapips

Monthly trading

Post by Aspirapips »

Hello Sveve, thank you immensely for this site and for all the work you do.
I'm studying everything.
I read about your new monthly experiment in the weekly post. I have analyzed the demo accounts that you have started.
I have two questions:
1) I saw that there are no GBPAUD trades while in the script it is inserted. Is there any particular reason?
2) Monthly Trading (2257104) opens positions in reverse of strategy ... is that right?

All the best

Aspirapips
SteveHopwood
Owner

Monthly trading

Post by SteveHopwood »

Aspirapips » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:54 pm wrote:Hello Sveve, thank you immensely for this site and for all the work you do.
I'm studying everything.
I read about your new monthly experiment in the weekly post. I have analyzed the demo accounts that you have started.
I have two questions:
1) I saw that there are no GBPAUD trades while in the script it is inserted. Is there any particular reason?
2) Monthly Trading (2257104) opens positions in reverse of strategy ... is that right?

All the best

Aspirapips
1) Nope.
2) Nope.

SteveHopwood
Owner

Monthly trading

Post by SteveHopwood »

For your interest folks, I have sent the new baskets. Login details at the bottom of post 1.

SteveHopwood
Owner

Monthly trading

Post by SteveHopwood »

The demo with the target of $1,000 has hit its TP. :clap:

Aspirapips

Monthly trading

Post by Aspirapips »

Great!
SteveHopwood
Owner

Monthly trading

Post by SteveHopwood »

Quick report, although you can all log into the accounts via the details in post 1 and see for yourselves.

The $1,000 TP account closed the position early in the month and is doing well.

I was able to close the position on the $2,000 TP account using Bob's moving average filter at a small profit of c. $70.

The other account I started at the same time for comparison is heavily into DD, as is the very first account I opened to start all this off.

Re the latter two, I forgot to close the positions on Friday and will do so tomorrow so I can start again at the start of this new month.

Return to “Manual trading systems”