Hear the market - "The sound of the market"

AnotherBrian

Hear the market - "The sound of the market"

Post by AnotherBrian »

This indicator was posted on FF and I've used it occasionally to "hear" the ticks. It's sort of like watching the level 2 screen but easier. Since SHF is where I usually go for forex related info, I thought I would post it here.

Set it up on a 1 minute chart and listen as price goes into supply and demand areas, or tests new highs and lows. It will sit there for a while then a big pop can be heard, the bigger the pop, the more points it just travelled.

As I don't tend to scalp very often I don't use this much but I do listen as I do other things sometimes. It sort of tells you when things are heating up....

If you scalp, you might want to try it out.

rooicol posted it here, if you have issues installing there are a few posts on FF that might help. Some users have had difficulties getting the correct sounds to play. Read the instructions and the posts on FF if you have issues. Feel free to post questions here as there are many brains willing to help.

It's attached here so you don't have to go get it.

EDIT: I've modified the main indicator file, attached below.
The only issue I had with this indicator (before my mod) was that if I attached it to multiople charts, they all produced sounds at the same time.
You can now attach this indicator to lots of open charts and only the active chart will produce tick sounds. There is also a message that appears in the top right corner of the chart that will tell you if the chart is active or not. This way you know where the tick sound is coming from.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AnotherBrian on Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eatradingonly
Trader

Re: Hear the market - "The sound of the market"

Post by eatradingonly »

I'll post the same thing here that i did at FF, hoping someone can help me.

Unfortunately I get alot of windows ding noises in with the popping noises. I have determined it seems to happen when a tick comes through with the same values as the prior tick and tested my theory using a tick sender and the dings will happen every time a tick is sent thats the same as the one prior. I can make them happen every half second, every second, 2 seconds etc with the tick sender when prices are doing nothing.

Does anyone have any idea how i might be able to stop these annoying ding noises? Running on Windows 7, Empty4 installed outside of the program files folder.

I think it's really a code change that's needed to ignore identical ticks or give them their own sound, but I don't have the ability to make those sorts of changes.

Any help appreciated. It's a pretty cool little tool otherwise, and I'd like to be able to try it out for awhile without the incessant dinging.

Cheers
AnotherBrian

Post by AnotherBrian »

eatradingonly wrote:I'll post the same thing here that i did at FF, hoping someone can help me.

Unfortunately I get alot of windows ding noises in with the popping noises. I have determined it seems to happen when a tick comes through with the same values as the prior tick and tested my theory using a tick sender and the dings will happen every time a tick is sent thats the same as the one prior. I can make them happen every half second, every second, 2 seconds etc with the tick sender when prices are doing nothing.

Does anyone have any idea how i might be able to stop these annoying ding noises? Running on Windows 7, Empty4 installed outside of the program files folder.

I think it's really a code change that's needed to ignore identical ticks or give them their own sound, but I don't have the ability to make those sorts of changes.

Any help appreciated. It's a pretty cool little tool otherwise, and I'd like to be able to try it out for awhile without the incessant dinging.

Cheers
I'm a little confused so I'll ask questions....
When the market is open, do you get the different tick (pop) sounds?
The ding is a windows default sound, you can change or maybe even change the default sound to nothing (control panel).
When the market is open, you wont get the same thing because it only sounds when there is a price change. Using a tick simulator on the weekends might give you this issue because the price doesn't change but you are getting a tick/ Why would you want to fix it, just turn it off since the market is closed.
mjws00
Trader

Post by mjws00 »

I got the same thing. I tried the trick that someone on the FF used by turning on music with it, and it started working with the proper sounds. However, it would still give the annoying bell ding frequently. This was during London session.

It is a neat idea. I am guessing yours works perfectly AnotherBrian?
Reading the dark heart.
eatradingonly
Trader

Post by eatradingonly »

AnotherBrian wrote:
eatradingonly wrote:I'll post the same thing here that i did at FF, hoping someone can help me.

Cheers
I'm a little confused so I'll ask questions....
When the market is open, do you get the different tick (pop) sounds?
The ding is a windows default sound, you can change or maybe even change the default sound to nothing (control panel).
When the market is open, you wont get the same thing because it only sounds when there is a price change. Using a tick simulator on the weekends might give you this issue because the price doesn't change but you are getting a tick/ Why would you want to fix it, just turn it off since the market is closed.
Just to be clear, the problem started long before I introduced a tick sender. The only reason I did that was to try and figure out what was happening and what I could do to fix it.

When the market is open I do get the different tick (pop) sounds, but I also get windows ding noises which are enough to drive me crazy. I tried changing the windows ding noise to none, but then it just starts giving a different noise. I don't want to mess with turning all windows noises off so i left it alone.

This has nothing to do with the market not being open as I was testing it during market hours yesterday.

I guess I'll just forget about trying to use it if no-one has any ideas. I think a code change is whats required anyway, so hopefully rooicol can make a change to it.
AnotherBrian

Post by AnotherBrian »

Cheers

...continued

Just to be clear, the problem started long before I introduced a tick sender. The only reason I did that was to try and figure out what was happening and what I could do to fix it.

When the market is open I do get the different tick (pop) sounds, but I also get windows ding noises which are enough to drive me crazy. I tried changing the windows ding noise to none, but then it just starts giving a different noise. I don't want to mess with turning all windows noises off so i left it alone.

This has nothing to do with the market not being open as I was testing it during market hours yesterday.

I guess I'll just forget about trying to use it if no-one has any ideas. I think a code change is whats required anyway, so hopefully rooicol can make a change to it.
Hope I can help you out, here is what I can offer....

Here is the code I use on my machine, not sure if it's the same as what is in post 1, post 1 uses code right from FF.
I looked at the code and it only fires off a sound when the bid changes.

I'll ask some question and give some thoughts, just in case...
You have it in the indicator folder right?
right click on each file in
\Empty4\sounds\Market Pace - make sure there is no "unblock" button, if there is, press it.
check to make sure ALL the sound files are there, if one is missing or is "blocked" you will get the ding sound - ding is default because it cant play what its being asked to play.

In the code, the file it is looking for is
"Market Pace/Tick"+vol+".wav"; - which could be sounds/Market Pace/Tick+1.wav;
The files go from
Tick+1 to Tick+10
and
Tick-1 to Tick-10

If all fails, try to delete the sound files and indi, download again and try it. Delete indi, restart Empty4, shutdown Empty4, install new files, start Empty4.

For those who wish to look at the simple code (indicator), here it is.

Code: Select all

//Coded by rooicol :)

#property indicator_chart_window
int start()
  {
   double LastBid = GlobalVariableGet(Symbol()+"LastBidMarketPaceGV")/Point;
   double CurrentBid = Bid/Point; 
   double Change = NormalizeDouble((CurrentBid-LastBid),0);

if(Change!=0)
     {
      string vol;
      if(Change == 1) vol = "+1";
      if(Change == 2) vol = "+2";
      if(Change == 3) vol = "+3";
      if(Change == 4) vol = "+4";
      if(Change == 5) vol = "+5";
      if(Change == 6) vol = "+6";
      if(Change == 7) vol = "+7";
      if(Change == 8) vol = "+8";
      if(Change == 9) vol = "+9";
      if(Change >= 10) vol = "+10";

if(Change == -1) vol = "-1";
      if(Change == -2) vol = "-2";
      if(Change == -3) vol = "-3";
      if(Change == -4) vol = "-4";
      if(Change == -5) vol = "-5";
      if(Change == -6) vol = "-6";
      if(Change == -7) vol = "-7";
      if(Change == -8) vol = "-8";
      if(Change == -9) vol = "-9";
      if(Change <= -10) vol = "-10";

string Sound = "Market Pace/Tick"+vol+".wav";
     // string Sound = "Tick+"+vol+".wav";
      //Sound = "email.wav";

GlobalVariableSet(Symbol()+"LastBidMarketPaceGV", Bid);

PlaySound(Sound);     
     }

return(0);
  }
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AnotherBrian

Post by AnotherBrian »

Here is another of the same type, I have not tried this. It also includes dll's and something about downloading, not sure what that means.

Hear the market once more

If anyone tries it, pls leave some comments on the thread.
AnotherBrian

Post by AnotherBrian »

See post 1 for edit and modified indicator.

The only issue I had with this indicator (before my mod) was that if I attached it to multiple charts, they all produced sounds at the same time.
You can now attach this indicator to lots of open charts and only the active chart will produce tick sounds. There is also a message that appears in the top right corner of the chart that will tell you if the chart is active or not. This way you know where the tick sound is coming from.
Kissa

Post by Kissa »

When I started trading 2 years ago it was on a old machine that could just run XP and Empty4 with most services turned off, the machine had temperature controlled processor fan speed.
So when volatility started building up I could hear the fan speed increase and would go looking for the pair down in M1 that showed the extra activity, worked better than any volumes indie I have found so far.

I am very interested in this sound concept, any extra sensory input that works can only be for good.

Return to “Indicators”