Trend Trading EA with Automated Loss Recovery

Post your EA's using ALR here
SpiderX
Trader

Post by SpiderX »

Dewey McG » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:53 pm wrote:I did some back tests on the EURJPY. I will have to drill down a little to figure out why, but it does seem this way needs more turns.

Hi Dewey,

That doesnt quite make sense since technically the way it works should be similar to the original.
Hope you are able to figure things out.
Have you considered using something like 70/120 ?
Since the lot sizes are smaller, you can do with a larger zone and smaller tp.

Cheers
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."
-Corinthians 13:4-8
Dewey McG
Trader

Post by Dewey McG »

SpiderX » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:41 am wrote:
Hi Dewey,

That doesnt quite make sense since technically the way it works should be similar to the original.
Hope you are able to figure things out.
Have you considered using something like 70/120 ?
Since the lot sizes are smaller, you can do with a larger zone and smaller tp.

Cheers

It was just a first impression, not backed up by any facts. More testing will help.

I hadn't thought about that but will try it as well
SpiderX
Trader

Post by SpiderX »

Hi

v2.06 is in post 1.
Had some new ideas and couldnt resist making an update on this.
The new versions allow the user to have more precise control on the percent profit of each ALR progression.
Do remember to adjust ALR_CommissionPips according to your broker's commission rate.
In addition, the new feature also serves to protect against unacceptable amount of losses.

v2.06
-Removed ALR_ProfitPips and replaced with ALR_TargetPercentProfit
Use this to set the target percent profit you wish to have at the end of an ALR progression
0 is ok, if you wish to minimize lot sizes, anything higher means higher lot sizes.
i.e: if you set 0.1%, you get a 0.1% profit for your account at the end of each ALR Progression upon hitting tp.

-new variable ALR_MaxPercentLoss
Determines the maximum hit to the account for ALR progression and supercedes MaxALRTrades
Use this to protect your account from more losses than acceptable.
i.e: for 20%, the maximum hit your account can take is 20% and no more.

Code: Select all

extern double ALR_TargetPercentProfit  = 0.1;
extern double ALR_MaxPercentLoss       = 20;

Cheers
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."
Dewey McG
Trader

Post by Dewey McG »

I did a comparison using the new EA with ALR II and the previous one that uses ALR I. I picked the EURJPY becasue we know there was a problem trade and I updated my tickdata so we would know the back test was accurate.

Using the new ea we have to use 18 turns to avoid a Stop Loss and set maximum SL to at least 30%.

If we used the original concept, we would have been able to avoid the stoploss as well but LOOK AT THE DRAWDOWN! The account gets all the way down to just $1503 on a 25000 account before breaking even. It also generated less overall profit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SpiderX
Trader

Post by SpiderX »

Dewey McG » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:18 am wrote:I did a comparison using the new EA with ALR II and the previous one that uses ALR I. I picked the EURJPY becasue we know there was a problem trade and I updated my tickdata so we would know the back test was accurate.

Using the new ea we have to use 18 turns to avoid a Stop Loss and set maximum SL to at least 30%.

If we used the original concept, we would have been able to avoid the stoploss as well but LOOK AT THE DRAWDOWN! The account gets all the way down to just $1503 on a 25000 account before breaking even. It also generated less overall profit.

Hi Dewey,

Not sure if i would be able to stomach a 30% stop out.
imo, a sensible loss limit might be around 10%.
Also, you could consider playing around with ALR_TargetPercentProfit if you like more profits at the end of a leg, with the risk that your lot sizes would grow somewhat faster.
Glad that the new concept is working out much better.

Cheers
Dewey McG
Trader

Post by Dewey McG »

SpiderX » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:09 am wrote:
Hi Dewey,

Not sure if i would be able to stomach a 30% stop out.
imo, a sensible loss limit might be around 10%.
Also, you could consider playing around with ALR_TargetPercentProfit if you like more profits at the end of a leg, with the risk that your lot sizes would grow somewhat faster.
Glad that the new concept is working out much better.

Cheers
I agree--I was just trying to show the difference.

I do think 18 turns is a "black swan" event that would only occur very rarely, which further testing will help confirm either way. As such I think we can allow a little further draw down, but nowhere near 30%. 10% would be the maximum I would look at and probably even less.
moncsicsi78

Post by moncsicsi78 »

I run some backtest and I realized this error in journal tab when I saw a big DD in backtest.
Can you help me, Sypder?

2014.08.24 15:44:05.125 2013.04.23 07:45 DMC ALR EA v2.06 EURJPY,M1: ManageALRTrades:Last trade closed in loss, but next trade not triggered
2014.08.24 15:44:05.125 2013.04.23 07:45 DMC ALR EA v2.06 EURJPY,M1: Alert: ManageALRTrades:Last trade closed in loss, but next trade not triggered

...and there is no "you don't have enough money" error message...
SpiderX
Trader

Post by SpiderX »

moncsicsi78 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:51 pm wrote:I run some backtest and I realized this error in journal tab when I saw a big DD in backtest.
Can you help me, Sypder?

2014.08.24 15:44:05.125 2013.04.23 07:45 DMC ALR EA v2.06 EURJPY,M1: ManageALRTrades:Last trade closed in loss, but next trade not triggered
2014.08.24 15:44:05.125 2013.04.23 07:45 DMC ALR EA v2.06 EURJPY,M1: Alert: ManageALRTrades:Last trade closed in loss, but next trade not triggered

Hi,

The alert was there because it was a situation which i did not forsee would happen.
Is there a gap in price ?
A gap in price would definitely ruin things, and is most likely the cause of this error.
Still considering how to deal with a gap.

Cheers
TheInsider
Trader

Post by TheInsider »

Dewey McG » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:18 am wrote:I did a comparison using the new EA with ALR II and the previous one that uses ALR I. I picked the EURJPY becasue we know there was a problem trade and I updated my tickdata so we would know the back test was accurate.

What was the start date and time for this test? And share the set-file with the settings you used.

Without that information it's impossible to re-create it?
moncsicsi78

Post by moncsicsi78 »

SpiderX » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:18 pm wrote:
moncsicsi78 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:51 pm wrote:I run some backtest and I realized this error in journal tab when I saw a big DD in backtest.
Can you help me, Sypder?

Hi,

The alert was there because it was a situation which i did not forsee would happen.
Is there a gap in price ?
A gap in price would definitely ruin things, and is most likely the cause of this error.
Still considering how to deal with a gap.

Cheers
Thanks!

I thought about GAP, too... Maybe it caused the problem, but it is a big problam at the moment.

Return to “Automated Loss Recovery”