Which VPS are recommended for live accounts using EAs?

Your basic questions about running EA's
rebeljedi
Trader

Re: Which VPS are recommended for live accounts using EAs?

Post by rebeljedi »

SPR wrote:Most of the criminals have several data feeds. You can check by clicking in the lower right corner of your Empty4 window. Here is an example.

From this it is still unknown where the data servers are located. But there is always a solution. Make sure only one instance of Empty4 is running at this time. Bring up your good old command prompt. Type command: netstat -b -n ...
hi SPR,
once again, thanks very much for sharing this insight especially about the cmd command (new to me)!
Unfortunately, my broker's IP address cannot be pinged. It states "request timed out". Apparently, the server has some security feature.
At least I found out where the server is.

And like George (aka gaheitman), I am also looking to move to a vps.
rebeljedi
Trader

Post by rebeljedi »

muzzamcc wrote:
r2997790 wrote:Ignorant question of the day... I used Cowboy IBFX-AU and will soon need a VPS myself. Does anyone know where their servers are based? For latency would be good to have the VPS closer to the source obviously.

Thanks
R
New York

CNS have a good trade server location chart on their website somewhere if that helps too
I found the CNS' vps-brokers latency chart if it helps.
http://helpdesk.commercialnetworkservic ... icleid=174
rebeljedi
Trader

Post by rebeljedi »

muzzamcc wrote:Mammoth are great for Sydney based criminals, CNS for NY based criminals and Beeks for London based criminals are my picks.
hi muzzamcc,
CNS is offering 2 different plans - Windows Virtual Desktop and Trader's VPS. By just comparing both specifications and prices, both plans look the same! Are you using CNS?

Any other traders using CNS?
Thanks.
rebeljedi
Trader

Post by rebeljedi »

Thanks for your advice, muzzamcc.

For anyone who is interested to check CNS-broker latency in realtime, I found this:
http://helpdesk.commercialnetworkservic ... icleid=182
astral77
Trader

Post by astral77 »

AS A GENERAL RULE AVOID ANY COMPANY WHICH ADVERTISES FOREX, BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL RIP OFFS.
CALL THE COMPANY AND ASK THEM IF YOU CAN VISIT THEIR FACILITIES. That way you ensure you are dealing with the main company and not some re-seller with very limited resources. Bear in mind that cheapest does not mean the best and in our game reliability is number one priority, price is number two.

I was with a company which was advertising a silicon valley address as their offices, when I did Google it I found out it was a business centre that you could rent space and address. For the last 18 months I am with a English company called webfusion based in stockley park near heathrow airport. Thus far they have been extremely reliable and I am very happy with them.

Kind Regards
rebeljedi
Trader

Post by rebeljedi »

astral77 wrote:AS A GENERAL RULE AVOID ANY COMPANY WHICH ADVERTISES FOREX, BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL RIP OFFS.
CALL THE COMPANY AND ASK THEM IF YOU CAN VISIT THEIR FACILITIES. That way you ensure you are dealing with the main company and not some re-seller with very limited resources. Bear in mind that cheapest does not mean the best and in our game reliability is number one priority, price is number two.

I was with a company which was advertising a silicon valley address as their offices, when I did Google it I found out it was a business centre that you could rent space and address. For the last 18 months I am with a English company called webfusion based in stockley park near heathrow airport. Thus far they have been extremely reliable and I am very happy with them.

Kind Regards
Thanks astral77 for sharing your experience. I will consider this option (dealing with the main company) when things are more settled on my end. Right now, I just need to start off renting a vps to run some EAs to ensure these are stable and that the instability comes only from the broadband.

Would anyone else have experience with such similar main (non-reseller) companies but in USA?
rebeljedi
Trader

Post by rebeljedi »

I just checked through some New York web hosting providers. Unfortunately, those that I searched all provide Linux OS. As far as I know, Empty4 only runs on Windows.
gaheitman
Trader

CNS Test

Post by gaheitman »

In the spirit of forward testing, I decided to give CNS a trial run. I didn't shop around beforehand, just went with one of the three my broker will pay me to use.

What I had to do:
  • Pay
    Login
    Copy my local directory to the server
    Launch terminal.exe and log in again
OK, that's not all I had to do. I followed their directions to get email working using their smtp server, but for some reason it wouldn't send email to my pager. I suspect my pager company is blocking them. So I set up hMailServer, but without delivery through gmail. Works like a champ.

I also tried to use their AutoBoot software to manage the open instances of Empty4. I think it works, but doesn't do what I want. Perhaps it was just annoying during initial setup and would be fine once I was done. I may come back to it later. The purpose of the software is to monitor your apps and react to negative events the way you want (restarting app, rebooting server, send an email, etc.)

I'm currently running 2 live EAs (one currency each) and 2 demo (22 and 26 currencies), and I think I could easily run 2-3 more EAs. I have two small live accounts I am using for this test, just in case things go nuts. :lol:

I'll post again in a week or two and let you know how it is going.

I'm happy so far.

George
rebeljedi
Trader

Re: CNS Test

Post by rebeljedi »

gaheitman wrote: I'm currently running 2 live EAs (one currency each) and 2 demo (22 and 26 currencies), and I think I could easily run 2-3 more EAs. I have two small live accounts I am using for this test, just in case things go nuts. :lol:
George
Hi George,
Which CNS configuration did you use? Trader's VPS Value Edition with the 384MB RAM?
I was wondering how many EAs I can run using 384MB RAM. I was told by another VPS provider that it requires 128MB RAM to run 1 EA.
Any idea if Empty4 can run on Win2003 64-bit?
gaheitman
Trader

Re: CNS Test

Post by gaheitman »

rebeljedi wrote:
gaheitman wrote: I'm currently running 2 live EAs (one currency each) and 2 demo (22 and 26 currencies), and I think I could easily run 2-3 more EAs. I have two small live accounts I am using for this test, just in case things go nuts. :lol:
George
Hi George,
Which CNS configuration did you use? Trader's VPS Value Edition with the 384MB RAM?
I was wondering how many EAs I can run using 384MB RAM. I was told by another VPS provider that it requires 128MB RAM to run 1 EA.
Any idea if Empty4 can run on Win2003 64-bit?
I went with the value edition, since I can always dial it up if I need to. I did up the memory to 512 in the initial order. As for memory usage, the first instance takes 128MB, but each additional instance is under 20MB-40MB each. I suspect I will learn just how bad the memory leaks are in Empty4 over time. :D

I didn't even consider running it on 64-bit. It didn't seem worth the potential headache to find out.

George

Return to “Automated trading (Rookies)”