Forex Strategy Builder and Trader

slipshod
Trader

Re: Forex Strategy Builder and Trader

Post by slipshod »

Yes, well you could be right - for me its not so much about trying to find a holy grail as it is having EAs that are robust enough to keep doing ok despite it "going bad" on a currency. If all it has is one currency pair then the EA itself becomes useless when that happens.

The above equity curve looks good, but its only running since late January. Have you tried throwing a few more years of data at it?
slowkey
Trader

Post by slowkey »

slipshod wrote:Yes, well you could be right - for me its not so much about trying to find a holy grail as it is having EAs that are robust enough to keep doing ok despite it "going bad" on a currency. If all it has is one currency pair then the EA itself becomes useless when that happens.

The above equity curve looks good, but its only running since late January. Have you tried throwing a few more years of data at it?
Good idea. Will run it against more data. Started to increase the bars and OSS zone and also going to setup a separate builder with tick data from Truefx. It is free and worth experimenting some since it cost nothing. It goes back to May 2009.

I did not cover this in the videos but here is a tutorial Popov made on the instrument editor. It is important to get your swap and spread close to the broker feed. I just copied and pasted it from the trader to the builder which made it easy. A nifty way to get your broker settings. On a mini account Lot size and swap are of course different because the lot size goes to 10000 and the swap for example of 1.25 would become 0.125 ... You really do not have to worry about it because you can copy and paste. url below.

http://forexsb.com/wiki/fsb/fsb_fst_settings

Doug :D
The Gann Ribbons ... A new tool for looking at Time Periods, Price and Dynamic S/R in any system.

Now using HGI on 60 minutes and up & 10.7 with Hurst Targets intraday.
Bob's HGI Fourm
http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... =38&t=3524

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it."

Albert Einstein
slipshod
Trader

Post by slipshod »

Another thing to check when testing a strategy against different pairs if it has a permanent SL/BE/TP. If at first it doesn't seem to work well, try varying those values and see if it makes a difference. Often each pair will have its own volatility range, so the entries may well be sound but without the right SL/TP the results won't show it.

Mr Popov, I'd love it if someday FSB had a permanent ATR-based SL/BE/TP. Instead of 2000 points you could then use (for example) 20xATR, which would have more chance of working unchanged across different pairs.
Popov
Trader

Post by Popov »

Mr Popov, I'd love it if someday FSB had a permanent ATR-based SL/BE/TP.
I'll try to make a separate module for these SL / TP / BE for FSB Pro in a way that a user can customize them. I'm not sure how it will work. Probably like a custom indicators or something similar.

Making changes and additions in FSB is easy. The problem is that later these changes must be applied to FST - Empty4 Expert. And I do not speak only for an individual case, but all these must work when a user changes a param in FSB / FST. This is the main reason the strategy structure in FSB / FST looks a little conservative and restricted.

Some day, when eventually some income comes from FSB Pro, I can hire additional programmers to help me with the project. I hope it will speed up the developing process.
slipshod
Trader

Post by slipshod »

I totally understand, I'm incredibly impressed by the high quality of the work that you've freely released already. I hope the Pro version brings in a good income, as you definitely deserve it.
slowkey
Trader

Post by slowkey »

So three of the strategies I am looking at as most successful after three days on the new demo. I had a head start but you can quickly weed out under performing strategies. The two EURUSD strategies have been performing best. The USDJPY needs some work. However this is where the fun is with the program. You can be so productive in a short period of time.

The Gann Ribbons ... A new tool for looking at Time Periods, Price and Dynamic S/R in any system.

Bob's HGI Fourm

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it."

Albert Einstein
slowkey
Trader

Post by slowkey »

As you can see in the previous post my equity curve took a hit. That is because the USDJPY strategy was falling apart so I removed it and closed it out as a loss. However the Two EURUSD strategies are working like a charm so far but very early and they could do the same thing but I think they are robust enough they could be adjusted for weaknesses. They both have the same opening point and closing point logic. They both use the bollinger bands. All other logic is different. Still not ready to post them though. They will need more work.
:D

Here is a very simple strategy that was designed to be profitable over a very long time.

http://forexsb.com/forum/topic/67/eurus ... -reliable/

Not for short term trading though.

There are other strategies posted in the archive at forexsb.com

http://forexsb.com/repository/

Doug :D
Last edited by slowkey on Fri May 24, 2013 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bob's HGI Fourm

Albert Einstein
slipshod
Trader

Post by slipshod »

Just a note on the EU Daily strat - it hasn't been profitable for over a year now, which isn't to say it won't turn around and go on another good run soon. It'd be easy enough to trade manaully too.

It does show the need to have more than one strategy, and to frequently revise them if market conditions change.

Btw perhaps its not surprising that very few strategies are shared on FSB's forum. Given how easy it is to explore ideas in FSB and come up with something that looks profitable on your own, there really isn't a need to share them I guess.
slowkey
Trader

Post by slowkey »

slipshod wrote: Btw perhaps its not surprising that very few strategies are shared on FSB's forum. Given how easy it is to explore ideas in FSB and come up with something that looks profitable on your own, there really isn't a need to share them I guess.
Yes I know. We have some comments here from some long time users trading large accounts. It is so easy to develop strategies and if you hit the jackpot on a strategy are you going to be broadcasting it. Doubt any of these guys are going to let the strategies they have developed out of the bag especially if they are trading other peoples money. However what I am interested in most is how to use the program over time to adjust strategies to changing market conditions.

Doug
:D

Bob's HGI Fourm

Albert Einstein
Reaper
Trader

Post by Reaper »

I have used FSB extensively, one major limit I found was the SL and TP options. It needs something like a straight up if price goes up 30 pips move SL to +15. I have requested in the FSB forum ages ago...This would stop a lot of average trades turning into bad trades and may have a major impact on profitability of FSB generated strategies.

Return to “Automated trading systems”