HGI for beginners.

Includes an archive of all previous Bob stuff
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

HGI for beginners.

Post by SteveHopwood »

Hi all.

No one wants clutter up the main HGI thread with noob questions, so ask them here instead.

:xm:
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
John
Trader

HGI for beginners.

Post by John »

Definitely a "noob" question upcoming... I am 99% sure that I know the answer to this question but I can't find the post to confirm this... In any event, here goes...

It is my understanding that I could place all my trades manually and have them "managed" by HGB simply by setting "StopTrading" to true... Is this in fact the case?

Thanks in advance!

John
Xenn
Trader

HGI for beginners.

Post by Xenn »

what happens after 2015.04.01 :D when the indi expires :D ?
John
Trader

HGI for beginners.

Post by John »

Xenn » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:44 am wrote:what happens after 2015.04.01 :D when the indi expires :D ?
Download new indi with new exp. date. :good:
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

HGI for beginners.

Post by SteveHopwood »

John » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:43 pm wrote:Definitely a "noob" question upcoming... I am 99% sure that I know the answer to this question but I can't find the post to confirm this... In any event, here goes...

It is my understanding that I could place all my trades manually and have them "managed" by HGB simply by setting "StopTrading" to true... Is this in fact the case?

Thanks in advance!

John
You need to ensure that the magic number is the same and that the trade comment is the same as the comments used by HGB, because HGB uses both to identify the trades it 'owns' and which strategy they belong to.

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

John
Trader

HGI for beginners.

Post by John »

SteveHopwood » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:48 am wrote:
John » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:43 pm wrote:Definitely a "noob" question upcoming... I am 99% sure that I know the answer to this question but I can't find the post to confirm this... In any event, here goes...

Thanks in advance!

John
You need to ensure that the magic number is the same and that the trade comment is the same as the comments used by HGB, because HGB uses both to identify the trades it 'owns' and which strategy they belong to.

Thanks, Steve! Whilst I had matching magics, seems I flummoxed on the matching comments.
SteveHopwood
Owner

HGI for beginners.

Post by SteveHopwood »

John » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:51 pm wrote:
Thanks, Steve! Whilst I had matching magics, seems I flummoxed on the matching comments.
Read the user guide if you are going to use HGB to manage manually placed trades, or you will muck up big-time.

John
Trader

HGI for beginners.

Post by John »

SteveHopwood » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:08 am wrote:
John » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:51 pm wrote:
Read the user guide if you are going to use HGB to manage manually placed trades, or you will muck up big-time.

Will do, thanks! (That's not to say I haven't read it already, however I admit, I did not read it with any intention of having HGB just provide management support... Actually, I don't think I've ever utilized an EA, aside from MPTM for that purpose.)

I am very comfortable setting my trades, an initial stop, etc. and would prefer to do so on my own... That said, the one missing ingredient would then be to take my money and run on opposite signals, and so I thought this would be a great way to employ HGB for that purpose.

Anyway Steve, thanks again... will bone up on the UG again to try to get a handle on the trade management!

John
grexyaustria

HGI for beginners.

Post by grexyaustria »

So, since there is a beginner thread, I wont be shy do ask how to even install this Template/EA.

Sorry for being so nooby....

I know where to put Ea, indicator files, but since there are so many, I don't know which ones to open, and the EAs give me error messages

cheers and thanks!
wolfeman
Trader

HGI for beginners.

Post by wolfeman »

I have a few questions that have been eating at me since I first read the user guide. I've read over the particular section many times and I still don't get it.

Regarding range trades: The introduction of the 60 MA leads me to believe that it's purpose it to confirm we are in a full blown trend or, we are in a range; correct? The EA won't (or shouldn't) take a trend trade when we are between the MA's, as this is when we range trade.

In the user guide, Bob shows two chart examples of range trades. The first clearly shows range trades only being taken when price was between the MA's. The second example shows range trades being taken when the MA's were in the trend position, along with others that were in the range. So, what's the deal? In my mind, we should only take range trades when price is between the MA's. Now, I'm sure as heck not gonna tell Bob how to trade (like I could, lol) or Steve how to write an EA (OMG could you imagine?) But what's the point of the 60MA if we are not going to respect it in it's entirety?

A little comparing of the HGB indi and the 240 buy/sell indi shows what we now call range trades, are what we used to call CT trades. That makes perfect sense to trade those; if we are indeed in a range. Yet my HGB EA was taking lots of range trades when we are clearly in trend country. WTF? I had so many effed up range trades (that in my mind, should never have been taken) that I just turned them off. I think that properly executed range trades would have been a Godsend in the last 24 hours or so; but I had them turned off. I will note, that I haven't kept up with all the updates to the EA (they were coming in pretty fast- when does Steve sleep?) and if this is/was indeed an issue, it may have been dealt with already.

Has anyone else had this come up for them? Or, has this been addressed and I missed it? Am I high and don't realize it?
Last edited by wolfeman on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Nanningbob's Holy Grail Indicator forum”