HGI + Sixths + a bit of Semafor

Includes an archive of all previous Bob stuff
RisklessPips
Trader

Post by RisklessPips »

just another quickie thought, sorry its a bit newbie: my Sixths grid looks much smaller today (see attached compared to my attached 2 days ago)

Applying every spare neuron possible I'm thinking that the 'bar count' variable in the indicator (I set to 288) now no longer encompasses the huge fall around the 24/06/16 (288x4hrs = 48trading days = 9.6weeks) and so the sixths have re-set itself with the more current data and a lower high in that data. Is this a fair assessment?....and if so how does anyone have any thoughts on dealing with a sixths grid that shifts so dramatically..I guess one idea would be for me to manually increase the bar count to keep the old grid in place for the purposes of setting targets.
The original 6ths used in this method was static and users had to configure their screens to accommodate the data. That was clearly incorrect because price is dynamic and the range it is travelling must also therefore be dynamic.

The version(s) of 6ths in post 1 are therefore reflective of this dynamic attribute of price and it's movement range. How far back the 6ths goes is another moot point (like the MA one discussed earlier) because one needs to answer the question does knowing what the range was 9.6 weeks ago give you more useful information than knowing what it was 8.6 or 7.6 ..... you get the point weeks ago?

I use 150 bars and frankly that is accurate enough when I am dealing with 0.01 lot sizes. If you have read anything by Bob and Steve here, you will know that position size allows you to trade without fear, stress and even if it all goes horribly wrong you can still trade tomorrow. :cheer:
p.s. the GBPJPY trade took off nicely...shame I bottled it just before the fireworks! Hopefully observing this system will give me confidence to set wider stops in future.
Why the bottle ? - What lot size were you attempting to trade ? - Take note of my last paragraph above and go for it :smile:
Trading is a mind game - good job I have a brain
KeithM
Trader

Post by KeithM »

UC trade.JPG
Hi All.

I have been a lurker on the site for quite some time. I have tried using the HGI for the last couple of months and have had mixed results. Mostly due to putting other indis on my charts and getting lost with what my plan really is. With out a framework it make things more hit and miss (but still pretty good thanks to HGI!!).

This thread has really opened my eyes and I feel that it puts a framework around HGI that I can comprehend. At the moment my understanding is that if we use CSS D1 and both currencies have values between 0.2 and -0.2 then it is more than likely that they will continue to range and a reversal is likely. If both currencies are at the opposite extremes then the blue line could possibly just be a speed bump on price actions merry way in a continuation move. Thankfully we have HGI for some reassurance whichever the case.

Happy for comments. I am currently looking at USDCHF for a short. Would you recommend waiting for a big trend arrow or would you feel comfortable with a semafor, range arrow and blue wavy? If no further signal I would look for a strong bearish bar.

Thanks to you all for this amazing resource

Keith
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
taipan
Trader

Post by taipan »

KeithM » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:50 pm wrote:Hi All.

I have been a lurker on the site for quite some time. I have tried using the HGI for the last couple of months and have had mixed results. Mostly due to putting other indis on my charts and getting lost with what my plan really is. With out a framework it make things more hit and miss (but still pretty good thanks to HGI!!).

This thread has really opened my eyes and I feel that it puts a framework around HGI that I can comprehend. At the moment my understanding is that if we use CSS D1 and both currencies have values between 0.2 and -0.2 then it is more than likely that they will continue to range and a reversal is likely. If both currencies are at the opposite extremes then the blue line could possibly just be a speed bump on price actions merry way in a continuation move. Thankfully we have HGI for some reassurance whichever the case.

Happy for comments. I am currently looking at USDCHF for a short. Would you recommend waiting for a big trend arrow or would you feel comfortable with a semafor, range arrow and blue wavy? If no further signal I would look for a strong bearish bar.

Thanks to you all for this amazing resource

Keith
Try to use SuperCSS, see info on:

http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... 30#p145130
RisklessPips
Trader

Post by RisklessPips »

This thread has really opened my eyes and I feel that it puts a framework around HGI that I can comprehend. At the moment my understanding is that if we use CSS D1 and both currencies have values between 0.2 and -0.2 then it is more than likely that they will continue to range and a reversal is likely.
It depends on the direction of the lines - parallel and converging lines indicate a range, diverging indicate a trend. As for likely reversals - my advice is don't try to second guess the market. Trade what you see, not what you think :D
I am currently looking at USDCHF for a short. Would you recommend waiting for a big trend arrow or would you feel comfortable with a semafor, range arrow and blue wavy? If no further signal I would look for a strong bearish bar.
It certainly looks like a short. Question is timing. I would put in a stop order and then manage the trade. :smile:

Charles
KeithM
Trader

Post by KeithM »

Thanks Charles and Taipan

The SuperCSS looks really useful. Looking forward to forward testing. Here is another one for next week. Charles would you put your pending above the green line, the current bar or the RAD arrow. I guess it is a matter of style but I am keen to develop mine based off of what works :D :D

Many thanks and have a great weekend

Keith
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RisklessPips
Trader

Post by RisklessPips »

KeithM » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:19 am wrote:Thanks Charles and Taipan

The SuperCSS looks really useful. Looking forward to forward testing. Here is another one for next week. Charles would you put your pending above the green line, the current bar or the RAD arrow. I guess it is a matter of style but I am keen to develop mine based off of what works :D :D

Many thanks and have a great weekend

Keith
Keith

In my experience Rads form and then prices retrace slightly before moving in the Rad direction again.

As the price here appears to have dipped from the high near the Rad, I would place my pending stop above the hi of the current bar, on the basis that prices are now ready to move ahead again.

Charles

ps - Without diluting the above, if I have a real problem working out whether to go for a limit or stop order, I use the PoM-indi to tell me the current momentum speed and direction of the pair. If momentum is increasing I would go for a stop, if it is decreasing I would go for a limit.

I am in the middle of final testing for that indi (including its auto-trader) before releasing it flaws and all - so keep watching this and the PoM thread.
KeithM
Trader

Post by KeithM »

I have added D1 SuperCSS to my H4 chart. Placed a Buy Stop on AUDNZD at 1.04175. Keen for any feed back you may have.

More signs of Aussie strength on GBPAUD

Many thanks

Keith

Return to “Nanningbob's Holy Grail Indicator forum”