Under the hood of HGI (was: New HGI MTF history indicator)

Includes an archive of all previous Bob stuff
tomele
Administrator

New HGI MTF history indicator

Post by tomele »

sesshoumaru » 30 Oct 2017, 13:59 wrote:well, is it possible to show timeframes lower than the actual chart timeframe?
If it's hard to code then please just ignore my request.
It is not hard to code, it just doesnt make sense. See post 1.
Happy pippin, Thomas :-BD

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
(Mark Twain)

Keep the coder going: Donate
tomele
Administrator

Post by tomele »

Hello @all.

New version with explanation is in post 1. Strategy signals in the main chart are now available.

Have fun.

(Mark Twain)

wojtek_amm
Trader

Post by wojtek_amm »

Thanks Thomas for this great tool! :clap:

Now only PopUp alert is missing.
matt_32
Trader

Post by matt_32 »

tomele » 30 Oct 2017 19:21 wrote:Hello @all.

New version with explanation is in post 1. Strategy signals in the main chart are now available.

Have fun.
Thank you !!!!
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." - Plato 347 BC
Sandovich
Trader

Post by Sandovich »

Thank you Thomas

Credit where credit is due. This is a good Indicator.

Making this in a dashboard or combining it with the candlepower dash will be 1st prize or with pop up alerts .
GT3RS
Trader

Post by GT3RS »

tomele » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:03 am wrote:
As I have written in post 1, the indi refreshes its history at a given interval. Refreshing in this context has the same effect as changing chart timeframe forth and back for HGI. You always see the actual state and not old signals that are no more valid. I had a version that kept all those old signals - it was confusing.
But how can it show history then? It's better when all signals remain in place, otherwise it's useless for back testing?
tomele
Administrator

Post by tomele »

GT3RS » 31 Oct 2017, 12:42 wrote:But how can it show history then? It's better when all signals remain in place, otherwise it's useless for back testing?
Good question. The answer is: Yes and no.

My initial goal to have a tool for visual backtesting has failed to a certain degree. Although I was warned and knew of the weakness of HGI, I had this idea of HGI an multiple timeframes and wanted to see where it ends.

HGI and HGI library cant show you anything but the final position of historical signals. They are great tools for trading in realtime, but are misleading when it comes to backtesting. They dont tell you what happened to the signals before they were at the point where you see them now. So it is impossible to track those changes in history, you can only track them in realtime.

For the backtesting aspect there is a little spark of hope left though. I am working on a version that lets you see what happens to the MTF strategy signals in realtime. There seem to be patterns that could lead to an educated guess how to interpret historical signals. We will see. If this doesnt play out, we still have the option to let charts run in realtime and write things into a file for later backtesting of strategies. Or something like feeding an offline chart with tickdata tick by tick. Any ideas are highly appreciated.

So what do we have now? A backtesting tool? Not yet. A tool that shows us the actual HGI status on 4 timeframes and how this status got assembled in realtime? Check. A trading system worth to test? I think so.

Fair enough.

(Mark Twain)

tomele
Administrator

Post by tomele »

Hi everyone.

Something to read and download for you in post 1.

(Mark Twain)

thomasmore
Trader

Post by thomasmore »

Great work!
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Post by SteveHopwood »

Thomas, discussion about backtesting is informally banned at SHF. Under normal circumstances, I jump all over anyone who attempts to discuss it here. I describe why at http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... =28&t=4020. This is the one and only time I will say this in any of your threads.

There is an elite group of superb contributors to SHF who can write anything they want; you belong to that group. Continue to discuss the potential of backtesting in Empty4 as much as you want; I shall not interfere.

You are wasting your energy though, if you even have short dreams that backtesting in Empty4 is of any value for anything other than testing code in Crapergy Tester.

Thanks for developing a tool that looks as though it has fabulous potential in helping members to trade. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Just don't expect it or anything else you develop to be of any use in backtesting.

:xm:
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.

Return to “Nanningbob's Holy Grail Indicator forum”