Holy Graily Candle Bob

EA's inspired by nanningbob's work here, especially those based on his 240 Moving Average trend detection filter.
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Holy Graily Candle Bob

Post by SteveHopwood »

SERIOUS WARNING
  • Most Forex traders lose all their money.
  • Using the robot posted here in trading Forex does not guarantee success.
  • Trading this robot could lead to serious financial loss.
  • Trading this robot without understanding its underlying trading strategies guarantees traders will lose their money.
  • This is not a set-and-forget ea; there is no such thing and anyone who tries to claim there is, is either stupid or lying. This ea requires frequent manual intervention.
  • At best, a trading robot is only 90% as good as the manual strategy it trades. At best. At worst, it can be much less effective. If the strategy is rubbish, so is the robot.
  • To trade this robot, you have to understand:
MAKE SURE YOU READ THIS POST http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... 41#p111241 There was a Forex bloodbath on Jan 15th 2015 that you need to know about.

This is the same as Slopey Candle Bob at http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... 46#p163346, apart from the three SuperSlope time frames used by SCB being replaced by their equivalent HGI's. You will need these from the bottom of post 1 in Bob's thread http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... 44#p105044:
  • HGI V 16.09.exe if you want to see on your charts the information Holy Graily Candle Bob is working with; HGCB does not need it. It goes in your Platform/MQL/Indicators folder.
  • hgi.lib.ex4. HGCB does need this. It goes in your Platform/MQL/Libraries folder.
Remember to subscribe to Bob's thread so you will be notified when the current versions of both the indi and the library expire.

HGCB looks back over recent candles and finds the latest relevant signal i.e. large trend arrows, blue wavy lines and optionally yellow wavies:
  • Buy trades: all three must have either a green trend arrow or a blue wavy long trade line.
  • Sell trades: all three must have either a red trend arrow or a blue wavy short trade line.
The HGI inputs are:
  • Common to all time frames:
    • TradeTrendArrows: these are the large green and red trend arrows.
    • TradeBlueWavyLines: underneath the candles means trade long; above means trade short.
    • YellowRangeLinePreventsTrading: if 'true', the default, this tells HGCB to stop looking for a trend signal when it comes across a yellow range signal.
    • HgiCloseOnOppositeSignal: this tells HGCB to close buy trades when all time frames line up short and vice versa.
  • Time frame inputs: these turn the time frame HGI on/off, and allow you to select your time frames.
The usual TradingTimeFrame input sets the time frame the bot will trade and defaults to the H1.

Everything else is a la Slopey Candle Bob, so for descriptions of candle, basket and other inputs go to http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... 46#p163346 and download the user guide.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 9th September 2018
Mat (SHF user name Ehrenmat) sent me a version of HGCB that implements slipshod's support and resistance indicator. The ideas he implemented are:
  • HGI time frames: W1, D1, H4.
  • Trading time frame: H1.
  • Buy trades:
    • Take profit at the lowest or highest of the next resistance zone.
    • Stop loss at the highest or lowest of the next support zone.
  • Sell trades:
    • Take profit at the highest or lowest of the next support zone.
    • Stop loss at the lowest or highest of the next resistance zone.
  • No trading within a zone - you can see them clearly marked with rectangles when you load the indi.
Mat has enjoyed a lot of success with this.

slipshod is Andrew Sumner. You can find his indicator at http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... f=27&t=514. You will need the extra Library and Include files for the indi to work. HGCB also needs them, so I have attached them here. I ask you to to to Andrew's thread for the indi itself, and please leave an appreciation of his work.

You will find HGCB's SR inputs underneath the HGI inputs. Their meaning will be obvious to most of us but newcomers might not understand. This next bit is for you:
  • Resistance is a level above the current market price, at which the market has turned down and retreated in the past. Buyers took the market so far then ran out of steam. The big, market-moving institutions closed their trades and took their profits.
  • Support is a level below the current market price, at which the market has turned up and started to rise in the past. Sellers took the market so far then ran out of steam. The big, market-moving institutions closed their trades and took their profits.
  • Andrew's indi marks these levels with rectangles, creating S/R "zones". An example of a buy trade take profit input:
    • UseResHighforBuyTP tells HGCB to close the trade when the market hits the high of the next resistance zone.

I am sure you can work out the remaining inputs yourselves.

Mat sent me his setfile to get us all going - attached. Watch his lot size; 0.01 lots per $500 dollop might be a bit rich, but try it on demo and see. These trades are, "I an right or I am out" trades, so there is no building up massive baskets of trades all in huge DD.

This is a fabulous contribution Mat. Thanks. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Try it out and see if it works for you.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HGCB is fully TDesk compatible. Read about TDesk at http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... 90#p163890 and follow the links to download the software and library. HGCB needs TDesk.mqh in your platform's /MQL4/Include folder to run.

:xm: :rocket:

Matters of general interest
Go here to download and run the script that will fill your platform's missing chart history: http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... f=15&t=254
Read this post:
http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... p?f=6&t=78 Newbie traders, read this for inspiration and warning. Those of you who have suffered losses, read it for inspiration.

Masterly summary of hedging: http://www.forexfactory.com/showthread. ... ost4977179

EA coding
I receive may requests to code EA's. Traders, if I code your EA for free, then I will share it here. If you want me to code your EA without sharing, then my fee is $100 payable into my paypal account. I explain why at http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... ?f=15&t=79, at the bottom of the post.

Useful utilities/EA's/scripts -

-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Holy Graily Candle Bob

Post by SteveHopwood »

Really gormless bloop alert, folks. Your thick-as-a-brick coder forgot to include the HGI readings in the trading decision. Fixed in 1b.

Easy DIY: do a search for "//if (AllColours == blue)". There are two instances. Replace each of them with:
if (AllSignals == up)

Do a search for "//if (AllColours == red)". Again there are two instances. Replace each of them with:
if (AllSignals == down)

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

Dragonian
Trader

Holy Graily Candle Bob

Post by Dragonian »

Hello Chaps,

I've been at this game long enough to realise that unhatched chickens are only worth an omelet, but I am stocking up on Aunt Bessie's Roasties just in case :smile:

Only 1 day's trading with ootb settings but I can see great potential for HGCB, thanks Steve :good: . As I have been watching the Trade Report, thanks Rene :good: , expected earnings per trade have fluctuated up to almost £3. No intervention at the moment, basket set @ £50 tp, just looking for stats.

As you can see, to help me select which pairs to attach the bot to I am using Thomas' CP Dashboard, thanks Thomas :good: , which is obviously not ideal but does help me to not miss some potential trades while I am following up on hits provided by Rene's HGI Matrix, thanks again Rene :good: .

What would really make life easier, and give me more time to prepare for my roast chicken dinner, is an HGCB version of Thomas' CP Dashboard.

If you feel there is any merit in this proposal and have time available I would be very grateful if you would consided this request please Thomas :hi:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TTFN

Bill
Wavegarrick
Trader

Holy Graily Candle Bob

Post by Wavegarrick »

Hi Bill,

You are off to a good start, well done.
prepare for my roast chicken dinner
Winner, winner chicken dinner. :yahoo:

I have started my tests basing my signals on the hgi matrix. I have deviated a bit from the otb setttings..early days.
Currently 55 pips profit on Usdchf sell trades.

Cheers
Leon
tomele
Administrator

Holy Graily Candle Bob

Post by tomele »

Dragonian » 28 Aug 2018, 14:35 wrote:What would really make life easier, and give me more time to prepare for my roast chicken dinner, is an HGCB version of Thomas' CP Dashboard.

If you feel there is any merit in this proposal and have time available I would be very grateful if you would consided this request please Thomas :hi:
Hi Bill.

You are in the mind-reading business, aren't you? I am planning for some time now to code an universal stand-alone dashboard that can be used side-by-side with different EAs. The point I have to solve is the interface between the EAs and the dashboard. Each EA must be able to "feed" the signals to the dashboard in a very simple way...

So yes, something is on the way.

Cheers
Thomas
Happy pippin, Thomas :-BD

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
(Mark Twain)

Keep the coder going: Donate
Dragonian
Trader

Holy Graily Candle Bob

Post by Dragonian »

tomele » 28 Aug 2018 18:16 wrote:
Hi Bill.

You are in the mind-reading business, aren't you?...................................So yes, something is on the way.

Cheers
Thomas
It sounds to me as though you are the one in the mind-reading business Thomas, along with all the other magicians on SHF.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
TTFN

Bill
Dragonian
Trader

Holy Graily Candle Bob

Post by Dragonian »

Well, some major pull backs between above and now but HGCB managed to avoid any actual draw down.

As usual, entering a trade which goes into profit is not that difficult with eas which follow our specific rules; the difficulty arises in deciding on the best time to exit while preserving profits already accrued :?: . Do we go for immediate gratification and take our 10 pips, or whatever, then wait for the next trade or do we try to anticipate the length of the move and exit at maximum pips? If the later on which time frame should we base our analysis? Or is basket trading the best way to go?

Still, better to be concerned about how much profit to take than how to stop constant losses :) .

All thoughts on appropriate money management gratefully received :youknow:
TTFN

Bill
SteveHopwood
Owner

Holy Graily Candle Bob

Post by SteveHopwood »

Dragonian » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:24 pm wrote:Well, some major pull backs between above and now but HGCB managed to avoid any actual draw down.

As usual, entering a trade which goes into profit is not that difficult with eas which follow our specific rules; the difficulty arises in deciding on the best time to exit while preserving profits already accrued :?: . Do we go for immediate gratification and take our 10 pips, or whatever, then wait for the next trade or do we try to anticipate the length of the move and exit at maximum pips? If the later on which time frame should we base our analysis? Or is basket trading the best way to go?

Still, better to be concerned about how much profit to take than how to stop constant losses :) .

All thoughts on appropriate money management gratefully received :youknow:
There are lots of possibilities on top of those already programmed. How about these:
  • Close on the appearance of a yellow wavy or opposite big arrow/blue wavy. The bot can resume trading when that is succeeded by a trend signal.
  • Close after x successive candles have gone our way and a turnaround is inevitable. Bank the profits and await the next move.
  • Close at a specific time - say four hours into New York. This could apply to profitable groups of trades only.
  • We could introduce Super Slope and close the trades when it flips against the direction of the trades, perhaps with a minimum weakness input.
None of this is difficult to code, so sing out if any appeals to you.

All ideas welcome folks.

Dragonian
Trader

Holy Graily Candle Bob

Post by Dragonian »

Thanks for your thoughts Steve, I'll start doing some analysis over the weekend and see what :idea:s present themselves :uff:
TTFN

Bill
Dragonian
Trader

Holy Graily Candle Bob

Post by Dragonian »

Using OOTB settings on the individual trades, ie $50 basket take profit, close results to date are:
TTFN

Bill

Return to “Thingy Bob EA's”