Just made an IDE for MQL4

w633
Trader

Just made an IDE for MQL4

Post by w633 »

Hello,
this is my first time posting here but I've been gaining a lot from Steve & the community so I think it's time for me to pay back a little.

Most of us are probably using the crappy MetaEditor to code our EA's, and I am really fed up with it so I went ahead and integrated the IDE that I believe can help ease the pain and boost our productivity.

It's not as fancy as Eclipse or Visual Studio, but it achieved most functionalities I need. Some of the feature includes:
  • Syntax Highlight (can still improve)
  • Compiler integration (partially now)
  • Function listing
  • Autocomplete
  • Parameter hint
  • Help integration (press F1 on keyword brings up Help window)
  • Bracket matching
  • Block collapse / expand
  • Snippet, abbreviation support
  • Theming (not straightforward though)
It's an open source project and everyone is welcomed to contribute. The project is located at HERE

Goerge's post at http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... 565#p26565 tells you how to make the editor compile indicator and script code.

You can see some screenshots below...
scite-mql-s1.png
scite-mql-s2.png
scite-mql-s3.png
scite-mql-s4.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mobthehop
Trader

Re: Just made an IDE for MQL4

Post by mobthehop »

WOW! Going to try out this baby..... Thanks for programming this....

Cheers
w633
Trader

Post by w633 »

Glad that you are gonna try out. I've added another feature that is the integration of the editor and compiler. Whenever there's a compile error, by clicking on the message the editor will take you to the error line and with the dot highlighted before the line. Please see the screenshot below
scite-mql-s5.png
Just like the original metaeditor, you press F5 to compile the code and F1 to bring the help.
The next thing I'll add is to have more colors on different sets of keywords, so it'll be getting more closely to what we used to experience on metaeditor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Post by SteveHopwood »

I have downloaded this and am loving it. Thanks very much.

:D
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
dietcoke
Trader

Post by dietcoke »

I've been using ultraedit with a incomplete (filling it in as I go) mql wordfile and a user defined tool to compile stuff.

I have to say, this is blowing that out of the water.

STICKY please Steve.
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Post by SteveHopwood »

dietcoke wrote:I've been using ultraedit with a incomplete (filling it in as I go) mql wordfile and a user defined tool to compile stuff.

I have to say, this is blowing that out of the water.

STICKY please Steve.
Excellent idea. Done. I will add a link to the 'Welcome' post as well.

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

slipshod
Trader

Post by slipshod »

I must say this does look like a decent IDE. Congrats on putting it together, you've really done the Empty4 development community a valuable service.

As tempted as I am to try it out, I've stuck with Vim for 15 years now & you'll need to pry it from my cold dead hands ;)
garyfritz

Post by garyfritz »

Ah, nice to see another Vim fan. I've been using vi since about 1982 and it's always been my favorite editor. I was using a full-screen visual editor on the PLATO system in 1974, 2 years before Bill Joy ever got the idea for a single-line text editor. :D
SteveHopwood
Owner

Post by SteveHopwood »

I have been using this today to code another version of Aussiedoc's Ducks. This is just plain fantastic. What a difference the fold feature makes to navigating round the file. I don't think I will ever have to list the functions at the start any more. Wow.

Here are the two thingies top of my wish list:
  • 1) for compiling the code to update the ea running on a chart a la meta editor.
    2) auto-completion of key words with upper case in them. For example, iTime; I would love the editor to offer 'iTime' by the time I reach 'iti' so I don't have to bother with the shift key.

slipshod
Trader

Post by slipshod »

garyfritz wrote:Ah, nice to see another Vim fan. I've been using vi since about 1982 and it's always been my favorite editor. I was using a full-screen visual editor on the PLATO system in 1974, 2 years before Bill Joy ever got the idea for a single-line text editor. :D
Wow that is seriously old school! I'd love to reply with the usual "well I grew up with a full screen editor that used punch cards", but no, my first comp was an apple IIe in 1983. If this new IDE ever integrated Vi-style editing I'd be onto it in a flash :)

Return to “Coders Hangout”