Automatic Loss Recovery System (ALR) - read this first

Post your EA's using ALR here
mastru84

Post by mastru84 »

macman » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:08 pm wrote:
mastru84 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:12 pm wrote:
Hi everyone,
Great thread, really enjoyed reading through it!

Can't wait to try your ALR EA Insider, since i find your modified EA much simple that the others have done, even if have to say that spider's one work pretty good to...
Have you actually run the EA?

I did and got blacklisted at GP broker - http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... =15&t=3918 refers. :o

Would be interested to hear from anyone who has actually successfully run the modified EA

i just run it on a demo, same story with the other EA... They seem fine
blazecrown
Trader

Post by blazecrown »

Paging Shona aka TambaTrader... may we know what happened to your SAS results... you may want to keep us posted... thanks... :)
TambaTrader
Trader

Post by TambaTrader »

Hi Blazecrown,

I have got a few more results for 2013 EURUSD. However it took ages to run because the code is written inefficiently. I am a contractor working full time so I just haven't had the time to look at the code. If I get a day to spend on it I will improve it. I know what I need to do.

It needs to run quickly as I plan on running various SL and TP combinations through it on various currency pairs and more time periods.

I am planning on posting the results for other people to see. I'll post the few that I've got ASAP.

I finish my current contract in 3 weeks so in the New Year I'm going to be working on forex full time. I can't wait! It's so frustrating at the moment starting work and not being able to finish it.

In the meantime I have been using the wealthmaster EA but sometimes my Empty4 chart seems to freeze and it stops working. (Seems to be Empty4 issue not a problem with the EA). Has anyone else had that problem? From then on I have to manually place the sell and buy stops and use stop losses as well as take profits to make sure all the trades close. There is risk to this in case the spread means that only the take profit trades close but not the stop loss trades and I end up with large unprotected trades in one direction.

Shona
TambaTrader
Trader

Post by TambaTrader »

Hi all,

I said I would post my ALR analysis. I haven't got very far yet but here is what I have got for EURUSD 2013 using a stop loss of 10 and a take profit of 30. What I am trying to achieve with this analysis is finding good TP and SL settings for particular currency pairs. I am not yet looking at anything to do with lot sizes etc.

I assumed that an ALR would open every seven hours. My reason for this was that seven doesn't divide into 24 so I thought it would get a good mix of times of day. As there is a whole year in there we include all seasons as well.

There are some pretty big caveats:

It's a work in progress! I haven't yet done anywhere near as much checking as I normally would. I have included the full results though, so it should be visible if there are any mistakes in there.

Days open is the amount of time between ALR opening and closing. It therefore includes weekends which means the average is higher than it really should be.

I haven't dealt yet with how ALR ends when it fails, which means that turns is only accurate up until 14 in this spreadsheet. (i.e. if it made it to turn 15 I said that the 14th turn had failed but I didn't test as far as turn 16 so I don't ever know if turn 15 failed).

Next steps for me:

- Rewrite the code as it takes too long to run
- Code up what it does after the last turn (I'm not sure I understand this myself yet, so I will need to spend more time reading this thread first)
- Run it on more TP and SL combinations. Particularly wider ones. I also want to test having the TP less than 3 times the SL
- Run it on GBPUSD as want to use it on a strategy I have for cable.

Shona

Update 18th Dec 2014:

This version of the excel has more results in it...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TambaTrader on Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Radar
Trader

Post by Radar »

Just a silly idea...

Instead of just opening a new trade in the opposite direction when SL is hit, why not wait for a new signal, but adjust the lot-size according to the ALR sequence... Less chance of hitting a death-run that way...

Have fun!

Radar =8^)
Check out my new, (well, old now), manual trade & automatic scale-in manager,
StackManV2
TambaTrader
Trader

Post by TambaTrader »

I am about ready to give up on ALR. I thought the problem where it closes one side of the trades but not the other, was a problem with the fact my demo account was running on my laptop and not on my server.

It has just done it on my real account now though. That runs on my server. All the buys closed on Eurusd as it has just had a big movement up but the sells didn't. I was up to my 6th turn. I lost £90 which for my mini real account is a disaster. I'm only winning about a tenner a week when it goes well.

I like the Maths behind ALR but if you can't trust it will be executed properly the risk is too high.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I might not waste any more time on it and go back to using stop losses.

Yet another brick wall! That is so disappointing.
blazecrown
Trader

Post by blazecrown »

TambaTrader » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:40 pm wrote:I am about ready to give up on ALR. I thought the problem where it closes one side of the trades but not the other, was a problem with the fact my demo account was running on my laptop and not on my server.

It has just done it on my real account now though. That runs on my server. All the buys closed on Eurusd as it has just had a big movement up but the sells didn't. I was up to my 6th turn. I lost £90 which for my mini real account is a disaster. I'm only winning about a tenner a week when it goes well.

I like the Maths behind ALR but if you can't trust it will be executed properly the risk is too high.

Hi Shona,

you may want to check if your broker has minimum distance from present bid for a pending order... if your ALR Zone is within that minimum distance the ALR might not be able to execute... also what we've noticed is that when one of the turns happens in a gap, the ALR can leave that particular turn hanging unless the market turns back to that zone and ALR executes...

i wish you the best in your trading....
macman
Trader
Location: Somewhere on a European waterway, on my classic (old) Dutch barge

Post by macman »

TambaTrader wrote:I am about ready to give up on ALR. I thought the problem where it closes one side of the trades but not the other, was a problem with the fact my demo account was running on my laptop and not on my server.

Do your logs give any indication as to why the operation failed?

As you already made 5 turns, it seems unlikely to be a software error.

Sorry to hear about the loss - 'things can only get better' as that well known song says :)

Best regards,
This account takes ALL software generated trade calls from my FXW training course and is used to develop money management routines.
http://www.mt4i.com/mt4ichart.aspx?c=ch ... udent-demo
TambaTrader
Trader

Post by TambaTrader »

Hi Blazecrown and Macman,

All the trades got placed successfully. When you hit the take profit in one direction the other trades are supposed to close and the pending buy or sell stop is supposed to get deleted. That is the bit that failed. If you don't close every trade in that basket but only close one direction of trades you are left with potentially large unprotected trades in one direction. I spotted it 20 minutes later and closed them manually but it could easily have blown my account.

Not worried about the small loss so much as the fact that I thought I had a good strategy. It is like two steps forward one step back all the time.

There is a work around - when it did it before on my demo account I started to put stop losses on the trades manually. I put them in the same place as the take profits of the opposite direction. I am starting to think this method is too risky for me if you have to trust an EA to work all the time. I might stick with EAs where they place the trades with TP and SL then if everything crashes you are still protected.

Another work around is that you manually close the trades once they get into profit. This would only work if you are monitoring your account a lot though. Or you could use another EA that closes all the trades once they reach x amount of profit.

I am sure this problem is fixable but I am not as keen on ALR as I was. I will have a break from it at least and try something new or go back to one of my old strategies.

I have got a few more SAS results on EURUSD though that I will post later.
TambaTrader
Trader

Post by TambaTrader »

TambaTrader » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:38 am wrote:
Or you could use another EA that closes all the trades once they reach x amount of profit.

Actually that's a stupid idea as if the original EA has stopped working because of some issue how is a second EA going to do any better?

Return to “Automated Loss Recovery”